Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He done the same with Chelsea second time around too.

It's all he knows
you needed to speak to united fans to know that. Its been clear to see for a long long time. He won things at united and they still sacked him because as soon as the trophies stop, no one can stand the football, he constantly denies he is playing this way and often blames the players. He will never take responsibility. Maybe if we win the league cup he will hold that in the faces of the fans and the press and rubbish the likes of poch that couldnt win anything. If he doesnt win anything this season, you can bet the same toxic jose will come back. Already seeing signs of it with us. This is only going to end one way, i think he is finished in management to be honest.

What he has also done at Chelsea (2nd spell), United, and now us was to get his media mates to drop stories on his arrival about "Willing to change" "Learning a new style" "Embracing new ideas" "Got a new system" etc etc etc.

It never happens. Some of us tried to warn about that. United and Chelsea fans were warning about it whilst trying to contain their laughter. But most fans see a headline or two on Twitter, and fall for it hook line and sinker. Oh well, give it a couple of years and we'll be the ones preaching caution as his latest PR exercise gets underway....

Last edited:
I honestly don't know why you are going through the various permutations, we are fucking shit. Trying to assign us wins in games going forwards is ridiculous, we've won 2/8.

We are a great team to play for the lower teams, who are happy with a draw, they just need to let us score one, as that's the trigger for us to completely stop playing. They then have the rest of the match to equalise.
But if we win 8 of our next 10 games, by the time we play the 11th game we should have a 10 pt lead built up which means we will be top until at least the 13th game which is on the 21st of that month.
:tobyarm:

It was me and I've been saying it for months even in his second spell at Chelsea it had started to falter. If your bored go and look at the attacking players in the squads he was gubbing in that first spell. Its certainly higher standard now.. The TV has leveled the playing field too much for this.Now go down the league and look at a forwards that you are allowing teams to have 70% of the ball. Watkins, Vardy, Ings, Aubameyang, Jiminez, Bamford, Grealish Richarlison. I've avoided the top four sides. But you take my point .
So true. Also lesser teams are hanging on to star players more than they use to as they can afford bigger wages. The likes of vardy would have left their teams to go to a bigger team. But Leicester can pay big wages to vardy. Looking the same with grealish so far.

I was a bit nervous about the Mourinho appointment but thought let's give him a chance as things were going badly wrong by the time Poch left. JM had a difficult hand too - the team needed (and needs) a rebuild, plus the Covid fiasco hasn't made doing anything easy, though the timing of 2019-20 stopping and starting definitely helped us.

But I'm losing a bit of patience now as we're making the same mistakes over and over again - sitting back on 1-0 leads and asking for trouble generally by being ultra-cautious. Any mid and lower table teams must rub their hands with glee knowing the amount of possession they will get and chances they can create against us.

I don't see what a managerial change right now achieves tbh but I'm a bit concerned, and I hope this doesn't go south. If he leaves having won the League Cup in a way it's job done, but I would personally be tempted to get rid at the end of the season IF our poor league form continues. Whilst Levy clearly likes Jose he is ruthless and we know he will act quickly if things aren't up to scratch - I'd expect Mourinho to go if we don't get top four, regardless of cup progress. But a cup win and top four would be a good season and he would definitely stay then.

No mate. The reason other teams laugh at us is because deluded pricks like you prefered to back a CEO who prioritises profit than a football manager who'd taken us to heights not seen for 40 years with his hands tied up.

Everyone in football could see what was happening apart from our own fans
I know its odd. Most fans of other clubs couldn't care less about the owners/chairman. Ours are super protective of them & take it personally if you criticise them. Some prefer the chairman & owners to the manager & players. Seems like a weird phenomenon only see at Tottenham.
Just today I got told to top myself for pointing out levy made an expensive mistake in appointing jose. How illogical & emotive is that!

I know its odd. Most fans of other clubs couldn't care less about the owners/chairman. Ours are super protective of them & take it personally if you criticise them. Some prefer the chairman & owners to the manager & players. Seems like a weird phenomenon only see at Tottenham.
Just today I got told to top myself for pointing out levy made an expensive mistake in appointing jose. How illogical & emotive is that!
Telling you to top yourself is way out of order.

I think it might be due to the frustration that you are one of a couple of posters who blame absolutely everything on Levy, but give little credit when things go well. In fact, I’m not sure I saw much of you this season until our recent bad run. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Most fans will defend anyone associated with the club, be it players, manager or board. That’s just natural. Sometimes a choice has to made between individuals at the club and just because a lot of people came down on the side of losing the manager, doesn’t make that weird. It’s what happens with every club. There’s not some weird phenomenon only seen at Spurs, it’s just that there’s plenty of us on here that realise the manager carries the can here, as they do at every club on the planet.

I just don’t get the need to apportion blame on one aspect of the club for anything that goes wrong on the pitch. It’s everyone’s fault when it goes wrong and everyone needs praised when it goes well.

What he has also done at Chelsea (2nd spell), United, and now us was to get his media mates to drop stories on his arrival about "Willing to change" "Learning a new style" "Embracing new ideas" "Got a new system" etc etc etc.

It never happens. Some of us tried to warn about that. United and Chelsea fans were warning about it whilst trying to contain their laughter. But most fans see a headline or two on Twitter, and fall for it hook line and sinker. Oh well, give it a couple of years and we'll be the ones preaching caution as his latest PR exercise gets underway....

Very true. I know a few United supporters and despite winning things they couldn’t wait to get rid of him. They were pissing their pants at my expense when we signed Jose. It is supposed to be the beautiful game and our motto is famously “To Dare is to Do” but he has got Spurs playing like cowards

I just don’t get the need to apportion blame on one aspect of the club for anything that goes wrong on the pitch. It’s everyone’s fault when it goes wrong and everyone needs praised when it goes well.

Interesting point.

Noticed the players slipping a lot last night. Maybe that was the issue.

Fucking ground staff........ “ground staff out” thread incoming!!!!!!

Interesting point.

Noticed the players slipping a lot last night. Maybe that was the issue.

Fucking ground staff........ “ground staff out” thread incoming!!!!!!
Actually a good example.

Levy’s fault for hiring the guy who hired the guy who hired the groundstaff?
Levy’s fault for hiring the manager who hired the coaches who can’t teach the players proper balance?
Levy’s fault for hiring the scouts who recommended the players who have boot contracts with shit manufacturers?

Or was it just a bit slippy because it’s winter?

Thing with Mourinho is I'm split.
I have sympathies in that his players (at the back) keep making individual errors and rather than buying a top class RB + CB the club bought in Rodon/Doherty to fix those gaps.

But Mourinho's horrible tactics means his average defense is over-worked and also that we give the opposition far too much possession/respect.

As I've said before.
I'm convinced it'll be used as a case study in psychology classrooms in decades to come.

20210114-112648.jpg

As I've said before.
I'm convinced it'll be used as a case study in psychology classrooms in decades to come.

20210114-112648.jpg
You do know that ABSOLUTELY NOBODY supports the chairman more than they support the other individuals at the club, don’t you? As much, yes, but more? No.

Most of us understand if things go wrong, we maybe change some players. We may sack the manager. But the owner doesn’t sell up off the back of a run of defeats. So we operate in realism, whereas you don’t appear to. It’s all good to apportion blame on Levy for many things, but he should never stand alone in taking that blame.

To use one of your favourite tropes, the year is 2068, Spurs are struggling to get top four and John Thomas is still bitching about the 2018 transfer window.

Come what may we stick with Jose till at least the end of the season. It's madness to be on his back this early on. We clearly are 2 top class players away from a sustained challenge at the top. We don't have the triple threat up front that Liverpool have and we don't have the midfield scoring options that City possess.

Mourinho's style means you have to be clinical with the fewer chances you get. Think of who scores goals:

Liverpool: Mane, Salah, Firmino, Jota, with a decent chip in from the rest of the team

City: Sterling, Gundogan, Aguero, Mahrez, Foden, de Bruyne, Silva, Torres, Jesus

Spurs: Kane and Son

Sissoko's run on goal yesterday summed it up. We don't have enough players who know how to score.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom