Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mourinho played 2 attacking players at home to a side in the bottom 3 - that's why we don't have goals more evenly spread

And yet Fulham has almost as many shots as us....

Who would you have played last night and what formation? Lucas M? Vinicius starting and Kane playing deeper? A probably not very fit Gareth bale?

As sammyspurs sammyspurs has said we did have chances to win last night. But our midfield is pretty crap at keeping the ball.
Or we are very good at playing 5 yard passes to keep the ball that lead us absolutely nowhere near the forward players.

We could and should have won last night. Bad finishing cost us the game. But overall we got outplayed in the second half by a team in the relegation zone. That’s most worrying to me.

Can’t argue about that too much. But if he didn’t set us up to play a controlled, defensive game, we’d not have the second lowest goals against in the league. Last night may well have finished 2-2 instead of 1-1.

I’m convinced it’s as simple as the players are knackered and trying to conserve energy, whilst Jose is still trying to find the right balance for the team.
Its Fulham at home, picking Alli or Bale ahead of Sissoko shouldnt realy be seen as gung ho. I think this cautious, borderline scared approach we have against almost every opponent has affected the players.

Can’t argue about that too much. But if he didn’t set us up to play a controlled, defensive game, we’d not have the second lowest goals against in the league. Last night may well have finished 2-2 instead of 1-1.

I’m convinced it’s as simple as the players are knackered and trying to conserve energy, whilst Jose is still trying to find the right balance for the team.

Why do you think our players are knackered? Most hadn’t played for over a week.

Why do you think our players are knackered? Most hadn’t played for over a week.
Not much of a break after last season finished in such a weird way. Quite a few of them have played a lot of matches so far. Mental stress. I don’t just think it’s our players that are struggling, but I’m sure we’ve played more than most.

I just hope people realise that if we win the League Cup (and thats a big IF) - it's not going to magically transform out mentality.

Itd break our trophy duck. Feel nice for a few days. But nothing more than that.

The season after we won our last trophy went well didn’t it!!

Good old Juande!! We still sing about him all the time.

I just hope people realise that if we win the League Cup (and thats a big IF) - it's not going to magically transform out mentality.

Itd break our trophy duck. Feel nice for a few days. But nothing more than that.
Of the 15 odd managers we’ve had in the last 30 years, George Graham and Juande Ramos are arguably amongst the two worst and probably the two most unpopular. They’re the only two to deliver silverware in the last 30 years. We really are investing a lot in Jose delivering this League Cup for us.

Gotta love Jose - “give me attackers who never miss a chance, and defenders who never make a mistake no matter how under pressure we are and we’ll win”.

£15m.
Imagine Lewis Hamilton saying “I need the fastest car” whenever he didn’t win a race.

(Yes I know, I know, but he proved asrecently as Turkey he didn’t need the best to win so he still has it in his locker ).

Mourinho been backed financially the most of any spurs manager since Redknapp in 2009. Facts.

If we beat what will be a first choice City in a League Cup they have made their own or do what we do not look mentally capable of doing in the PL, then and only then can it said Mourinho's appotment has yielded fruit.

At present the jury remains out in my opinion but beating the big teams and drawing against the so called lesser ones is only marginal improvement.

And the buck stops with Mourinho because he picks the players. And if they are not good enough it is he who has picked them. And that means if they are not good enough then play those who fcuking are or use your substitutions better.

Simples.

Our expected goals was 3.14 last night. The last league game when this was higher was against Man U which was 3.30.
Yes, it was frustrating, and Jose should have been more proactive and done subs before we conceded but (for once) he has a point. The strikers should have done much better

If we beat what will be a first choice City in a League Cup they have made their own or do what we do not look mentally capable of doing in the PL, then and only then can it said Mourinho's appotment has yielded fruit.

At present the jury remains out in my opinion but beating the big teams and drawing against the so called lesser ones is only marginal improvement.
Then he will have done his job (what i expected him, ended the drought Fuck him off and we can go back to being a proper football team again.
He’s an absolute terrorist

Our expected goals was 3.14 last night. The last league game when this was higher was against Man U which was 3.30.
Yes, it was frustrating, and Jose should have been more proactive and done subs before we conceded but (for once) he has a point. The strikers should have done much better
Kane and son have scored 23/30 of our league goals this year.

You can blame Levy for Redknapp and Poch not being backed properly, i think they were both badly let down. However Mourinho has been backed like no other manager under ENIC. 9 players at roughly £100m plus 2 season long loans and no real first team players sold. Any blame should only really be heading 1 way on this one if we dont achieve our targets.
Agree Jose's been totally backed but just for ref and I will post it against and again Redknapp was backed (Saha and Neilson were his buys, he wanted them in, Redknapp fucked that transfer window, no one else - there is a radio interview confirm 100% these were his signings).

Regarding Poch being backed, he knew 100% what the score was whilst we built the stadium, he agreed to join Spurs knowing fully what the status quo was. Yes, there is a latter debate regarding his last summer, when he requested a rebuild, but equally, had we already seen problems with the team dynamics deteriorate that meant investment in players with him as manager wasn't possible or at least not possible at the speed required, plus there is another area of concern when looking at who he bought and how quickly he integrated new players into the team. The bottom line with him is we simply can't say, either way, I think it's fair to say there is an equal measure of finger-pointing for both parties.

Ok I'm not going to lie ive never been a Jose fan he's not even my favourite Jose(that would be Gonzales) but I was prepared to put aside his huge management and character flaws like many ( sacrificed on the alter of 'he's a proven winner' . However the football is so wretched and the metrics clearly point to a side being sustained by two forwards over performing on the conversion of goals to chances, this is evidently unsustainable. Im also starting to worry this will not yeild actual silverware as of late the few coaches who have tried to counter his one tactic have done so successfully. Can he not see that it is not working and his assistant coach seems to be equally defensive in his outlook.

you needed to speak to united fans to know that. Its been clear to see for a long long time. He won things at united and they still sacked him because as soon as the trophies stop, no one can stand the football, he constantly denies he is playing this way and often blames the players. He will never take responsibility. Maybe if we win the league cup he will hold that in the faces of the fans and the press and rubbish the likes of poch that couldnt win anything. If he doesnt win anything this season, you can bet the same toxic jose will come back. Already seeing signs of it with us. This is only going to end one way, i think he is finished in management to be honest.
What makes me laugh is when he was getting battered with this tactic at United he threw Rashford under bus and told the world it wasn't his fault because he didn't have Kane, Son Dele, and Eriksen.

I’m losing my patience with the fans who are blaming the players.
Utter bollocks.
They’re being set up in totally the wrong line up, wrong tactics, wrong everything.
It all points back to Jose.

put any other attack minded coach into this side and we would have picked up 3 points.

it’s a basic adage that you work to your strengths. Our three strongest players are Kane, Son and Ndombele. So why the fuck don’t we play to their strengths and ATTACK?!
Harry Redknapp(Limited as he is) would be tearing the ass out of sides with this squad and he'd have found a way to play N'dombele Locelso Kane Son Dele in the same side.

Redknapp has, at the time, our greatest squad in the Prem era. Gets us to a cup final and a few semi finals. Can't win us a trophy.

Fast forward to Pochettino who moulds a team into arguably our greatest team in the Prem era. Gets us to a cup final and a few semi finals. Cant win us a trophy.

We now have Mourinho. Not only does he now have arguably our best squad of the Prem era. He always wins a trophy in his first full season at clubs. Has us into a final...

If we don't win a trophy this season and end Mourinhos streak... Is it a Spurs thing? What's going on?
This is not the best team Tottenham had recently. 2016/18 was better

I don’t think it’s sweeping it under the carpet to not continually carp about it years later. We also dont know for a fact what happened.

We may assume Levy just didn’t pitch up with any cash. But looking at what happened the last couple of Windows, that may not be the case. Maybe Poch was too fussy, or happy with the squad? No matter how often we trot out “we must be brave”, we have no clue what happened.

Poch was a great manager for us and everyone associated with the club needs to take some blame for him not being here now. But nobody should take all the blame. And no single happening , like a spendthrift transfer window should either.
Whilst I agree largely with the sentiment. We do have the worlds biggest egotistical manager at the helm of our Club, dear old humble Jose at the wheel. A man who openly takes the plaudits for wins, who self promotes like nonother (I'm the special one") who defends himself with "his" wins demanding "respect" for "his" trophies.

It is a team game, not just made up of the players and the manager but the entire structure of the Club is there for the purpose of providing the gains (marginal or significant) that facilitate the act of winning football matches.

Today Tottenham is in the best shape off the pitch since Bill Nic's Tottenham (it's not that good) but at no point since then has Spurs been this good a position off the pitch. Jose has 100% of the staff at the Club focused on results, there is no training ground being built, no stadium being built, in fact just like Nicholson he now has the best facilities available to him.

If Jose is responsible for his teams "wins" then he should be responsible for his teams draws and defeats. He yet again refuses to take responsibility for them and yet again he deflects this onto the players. The game Jose plays, deliberate or otherwise will attract the criticism like flies around a turd. This is how he set's his stool (deliberate pun) up, how he manages and has always managed. So, unlike another manager, there is little to no ground to defend or get behind him on.

Back
Top Bottom