Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Come what may we stick with Jose till at least the end of the season. It's madness to be on his back this early on. We clearly are 2 top class players away from a sustained challenge at the top. We don't have the triple threat up front that Liverpool have and we don't have the midfield scoring options that City possess.

Mourinho's style means you have to be clinical with the fewer chances you get. Think of who scores goals:

Liverpool: Mane, Salah, Firmino, Jota, with a decent chip in from the rest of the team

City: Sterling, Aguero, Mahrez, Fode, de Bruyne, Silva, Torres, Jesus

Spurs: Kane and Son

Sissoko's run on goal yesterday summed it up. We don't have enough players who know how to score.

Mourinho played 2 attacking players at home to a side in the bottom 3 - that's why we don't have goals more evenly spread

You can blame Levy for Redknapp and Poch not being backed properly, i think they were both badly let down. However Mourinho has been backed like no other manager under ENIC. 9 players at roughly £100m plus 2 season long loans and no real first team players sold. Any blame should only really be heading 1 way on this one if we dont achieve our targets.

To use one of your favourite tropes, the year is 2068, Spurs are struggling to get top four and John Thomas is still bitching about the 2018 transfer window.
I won't be around then. But if I was?

Yes, I probably would. Because it was biggest most significant factor in our regression ever since.
And a fucking scandal that too many of our own supporters want to just brush under the carpet so they can lay the blame anywhere else but the chairmans door.

Mourinho played 2 attacking players at home to a side in the bottom 3 - that's why we don't have goals more evenly spread
I'm not suggesting Jose isn't to blame, especially for last night, just that the system he wants needs more clinical finishers. Winks, Sissoko, Hojberg will give you a goal each a season. Last night was a perfect example of that. At least Hojberg tries to get forward when he can.

Telling you to top yourself is way out of order.

I think it might be due to the frustration that you are one of a couple of posters who blame absolutely everything on Levy, but give little credit when things go well. In fact, I’m not sure I saw much of you this season until our recent bad run. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Most fans will defend anyone associated with the club, be it players, manager or board. That’s just natural. Sometimes a choice has to made between individuals at the club and just because a lot of people came down on the side of losing the manager, doesn’t make that weird. It’s what happens with every club. There’s not some weird phenomenon only seen at Spurs, it’s just that there’s plenty of us on here that realise the manager carries the can here, as they do at every club on the planet.

I just don’t get the need to apportion blame on one aspect of the club for anything that goes wrong on the pitch. It’s everyone’s fault when it goes wrong and everyone needs praised when it goes well.
That’s fair, but you can’t overhaul a club, you can only make tweaks and changes to the personnel , that includes players, coaching staff, scouts and yes, the manager!

It’s absolutely fine and fair to call the manager out after an inept tactical display like we saw 2nd half last night, just as it is for every brain fart Aurier has.

The irony of your post is that you want collective culpability for our performances, when our manager (who you are defending) is the first to chuck everyone around him under the bus to save his own skin when things go wrong.

You can blame Levy for Redknapp and Poch not being backed properly, i think they were both badly let down. However Mourinho has been backed like no other manager under ENIC. 9 players at roughly £100m plus 2 season long loans and no real first team players sold. Any blame should only really be heading 1 way on this one if we dont achieve our targets.
When you don't know how to use your money :mourhandlaugh: ....

I won't be around then. But if I was?

Yes, I probably would. Because it was biggest most significant factor in our regression ever since.
And a fucking scandal that too many of our own supporters want to just brush under the carpet so they can lay the blame anywhere else but the chairmans door.
I don’t think it’s sweeping it under the carpet to not continually carp about it years later. We also dont know for a fact what happened.

We may assume Levy just didn’t pitch up with any cash. But looking at what happened the last couple of Windows, that may not be the case. Maybe Poch was too fussy, or happy with the squad? No matter how often we trot out “we must be brave”, we have no clue what happened.

Poch was a great manager for us and everyone associated with the club needs to take some blame for him not being here now. But nobody should take all the blame. And no single happening , like a spendthrift transfer window should either.

That’s fair, but you can’t overhaul a club, you can only make tweaks and changes to the personnel , that includes players, coaching staff, scouts and yes, the manager!

It’s absolutely fine and fair to call the manager out after an inept tactical display like we saw 2nd half last night, just as it is for every brain fart Aurier has.

The irony of your post is that you want collective culpability for our performances, when our manager (who you are defending) is the first to chuck everyone around him under the bus to save his own skin when things go wrong.
Honestly can’t see anything in my post that defends the manager for last night.

To be clear, he picked a weird team. Didn’t make subs in a timely fashion. Is obviously not getting his message through to the players, or is telling lies to the press. So not really defending him.

But it wasn’t him that made Kane miss a sitter of a header, or Son miss a few.

But it wasn’t him that made Kane miss a sitter of a header, or Son miss a few.
Have to disagree with this. In many ways it is his fault as they are feeding on scraps and we are too reliant on those 2 as they are pretty much our only 2 attacking players. Pressure is on them game in game out to take almost every chance they have and that is not possible even if we had Greaves and Klinsmann playing. We really only missed 2 good chances last night, Kanes header and Son hitting the post. Create more chances for them, have other attacking outlets and we'll score more goals.

I just hope people realise that if we win the League Cup (and thats a big IF) - it's not going to magically transform out mentality.

Itd break our trophy duck. Feel nice for a few days. But nothing more than that.

Last night is on Mourinho imo.

Okay we missed chances but that happens very often in football. The problem was that we could all see what was coming and just accepted our inevitable fate.

I said to a friend at HT this will finish 1-1 and we won't make any subs until we concede.

Keeping Sissoko out on the right for that long was truly baffling.

Why not be proactive and make a change when we are leading but momentum is drifting away from us? Instead Jose often waits, and seems like prays, that the likes of Aurier, Sanchez and Dier don't give a goal away. It's a recipe for disaster and we've now seen it in many games this season.

The little bit of play from Lamela to put Son in for the offside Reggie goal was an example of what we might have created had we not used Sissoko as our third attacker. Lamela/Dele/Lucas/Bale would have at least given us a chance of carving out something. Make the change BEFORE we concede. Particularly given that Sissoko looked unusually leggy to me and didn't put much of a defensive shift in.

It's very frustrating because the up and down nature of the PL this season makes it feel like a title challenge is within reach but we simply don't have the players for it. We are a team with a few world class players and too many weak links.

I’m losing my patience with the fans who are blaming the players.
Utter bollocks.
They’re being set up in totally the wrong line up, wrong tactics, wrong everything.
It all points back to Jose.

put any other attack minded coach into this side and we would have picked up 3 points.

it’s a basic adage that you work to your strengths. Our three strongest players are Kane, Son and Ndombele. So why the fuck don’t we play to their strengths and ATTACK?!

Utter bollocks.
They’re being set up in totally the wrong line up, wrong tactics, wrong everything.

put any other attack minded coach into this side and we would have picked up 3 points.

it’s a basic adage that you work to your strengths. Our three strongest players are Kane, Son and Ndombele. So why the fuck don’t we play to their strengths and ATTACK?!

This.

When you see limited teams in this league aiming to actually play football but aren't good enough to win games, you can blame the personnel.

But when you're set up to play awful football in attempt to scrape a win and the same result tends to happen time and time again and you fail to win, that's on the manager.

We are poorly managed.

That's not saying Mourinho is a poor manager. That's something people don't seem to grasp.

This.

When you see limited teams in this league aiming to actually play football but aren't good enough to win games, you can blame the personnel.

But when you're set up to play awful football in attempt to scrape a win and the same result tends to happen time and time again and you fail to win, that's on the manager.

We are poorly managed.

That's not saying Mourinho is a poor manager. That's something people don't seem to grasp.
When a limited team aims to play good football and loses, isn’t that on the manager for setting them up wrong? Why are the players to blame for not being good enough?

Utter bollocks.

It's really not the players imo - unless people honestly think that Fulham's squad (minus Kane & Son) is better than ours.

Because to me, if you stuck Kane & Son in Fulham's team last night they would have thrashed us.

We have two of the best forwards in world football, but the collective performance of the team that the manager is achieving is well, well below the level it should be.

It's really not the players imo - unless people honestly think that Fulham's squad (minus Kane & Son) is better than ours.
Their midfield is better than ours. Their CBs are only slightly worse, but we failed to take our chances.

We have no RW AT ALL.

This.

We are poorly managed.

He's past his sell by date no plan b

Have to disagree with this. In many ways it is his fault as they are feeding on scraps and we are too reliant on those 2 as they are pretty much our only 2 attacking players. Pressure is on them game in game out to take almost every chance they have and that is not possible even if we had Greaves and Klinsmann playing. We really only missed 2 good chances last night, Kanes header and Son hitting the post. Create more chances for them, have other attacking outlets and we'll score more goals.
Can’t argue about that too much. But if he didn’t set us up to play a controlled, defensive game, we’d not have the second lowest goals against in the league. Last night may well have finished 2-2 instead of 1-1.

I’m convinced it’s as simple as the players are knackered and trying to conserve energy, whilst Jose is still trying to find the right balance for the team.

When a limited team aims to play good football and loses, isn’t that on the manager for setting them up wrong? Why are the players to blame for not being good enough?

Of course. But it also shows that can actually play good football with limited personnel which also shows a good coach.

I was more talking about your Southamptons though as opposed to the likes of Brighton and Leeds.

Back
Top Bottom