Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Assuming we are talking about this forum and its members I've not seen a single post lately that backs that up ( I have a small number on ignore so maybe I've missed quotes from this quarter).

I'm not a fan of his, I've made my take very clear so no need to go over old ground but I've not come out with those kinds of takes, in fact, quite the opposite I gave him a complete pass on how we played whilst we were qualifying for EL proper (I thought the results during this phase was impressive).
But you only gave him to the end of last season to judge him and claimed he had failed by not winning anything and we was better off under Poch.

Now look at you......trying to be all balanced and accepting
:pochcmon:

Mourinho is a big match manager and knows how to prepare his team tactically for these situations. This was probably his best "Mourinho" performance since he arrived and getting a goal less than 5 minutes in was golden.

I think the reasons for the recent resurgence are quite straightforward:

1) Harry Kane is fit and healthy for the first time since he got injured in the 6th round of the FA Cup against Millwall in March 2018.

2) Mourinho done an excellent job of not only identifying squad needs but being flexible in the market to meet those needs.

3) His defensive tactics are becoming second nature to the entire squad and the team is getting better at counter-attacking.

If he can overcome his conservative nature and trust his system with more well-rounded personnel against some of the less talented squads, then we'll be cooking with gas.

Let's hope coming here will see Mourinho get his mojo back after the Utd debacle and prove the doubters wrong.
I don't think he has anything to prove his record speaks for itself. Even at Utd he won trophies with Fellaini, Lingard, Lukaku et al. We've got better players than he had there.

What i would say is that if you look at his career it's full of extreme highs and then extreme lows. The key is to enjoy the highs and try not to lose your shit during the lows. It amazes me how many Utd fans still despise him and it almost stops them evaluating their current nonentity of a manager properly. Hopefully we won't make that mistake.

Where are all the people that didn't want him here?
I will be amazed if we don't win something this season

I don't mind holding up my hand and saying that I wasn't a fan of his appointment and I also don't mind telling you why. Hopefully sammyspurs won't try to murder me.

It wasn't because I don't like him personally. In fact, I pretty much always did like Mou as a person, even from his first stint at Chelsea, and one example of this I can still remember is when he played Scunthorpe in the FA Cup. I don't know where they are now, but at the time he was reigning Premier League champion, and they were League Two, and after he beat them he gave his full scouting report on them to their coach and went into their dressing room to praise them on their football. Stuff like that made me think that while he might be this brash, arrogant arse to the media, he's actually a solid bloke underneath it all. The only time I've personally wanted to punch him was when he giggled about poaching Willian from under our noses, but apart from that I've never been set against him just because he was a huge part of Chelsea's success.

It wasn't his track record, either. In fact, while half the footballing world was laughing at him after the mess at United, I often chirped up to point out that he has been successful everywhere he has gone, and that the whole 'he leaves clubs in tatters' narrative is simply not true. His man management is legendary. So that wasn't it either.

That said, I did buy into the narrative that, well, maybe his tactics really were a bit yesteryear, and that maybe he had become a bit obsolete in the face of young, progressive coaches like Poch and Klopp, who seemed to be the future. Our whole team philosophy, even going back to AVB, was to try to become a sophisticated, elite club with attractive, progressive football the likes of which was all the rage on the continent among clubs like Dortmund etc. In that regard, I did consider Mourinho to be the least appropriate replacement for Poch outside of Tony Pulis. I didn't think it would work, I thought Levy would be too conservative in the transfer market for his liking, and I predicted another sad breakdown between coach and squad.

I don't mind saying I was wrong. I don't mind saying that I should have paid more attention to his track record than the media narratives about him. I don't mind admitting that losing Poch still left a bitter taste in my mouth, and that likely colored my opinion that I thought the club had made a bad decision.

If I've changed my mind, and now I'm a believer, am I now officially Wrong for the rest of time? Should I hang my head my head in shame, until sammy decides that I've paid a suitable penance for my disloyalty?

I don't think so. I'm good with it. And, at the end of the day, I'm just happy that we seem to truly be on the right track to chase our ambitions. Having not been part of whatever fireworks this forum has seen over the matter, but still being someone who fits the description you gave, can't we just march on together, and all say COYS?

Just asking, because frankly I'm still on a high from yesterday and I don't think it's going to come down just because once upon a time I had doubts about Jose. This isn't a row which needs to happen, right now, imo.

:mourthumb:

I'm laughing so hard! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This shit is genuinely fascinating.... Hated the guy for 17 years....

Now: love the guy.
It's okay to hate opposition managers and perfectly natural. It's even okay to not like Jose as our manager, but you have to respect him and his record- the guy has won more trophies in his career than we have as a Club. Let's hope we're not the one he doesn't win something with!

I'm glad he's proving me wrong, long may it continue.

I don't mind if we win the occasional ugly game, I've had enough of all the typical clichés said about our club.

"Spursy", "Tottenham always let you down" and of course "Lads, it's Tottenham".

Us being where we are seems to have pissed off a lot of people. Hopefully they'll be even more pissed off after we win the PL!

Us being where we are seems to have pissed off a lot of people. Hopefully they'll be even more pissed off after we win the PL!

Among rivals fans, sure, but I've noticed a curious trend among some of the regular pundits lately: it's become fashionable for characters like Carragher etc to say that they now would like to see Jose win the league again, just to prove all the doubters wrong.

And I thought, that's nice and all, but where was that sentiment for us beforehand? It wasn't enough that we had risen from among the mid-table crowd to break into the Top 4, become standard fixtures there ahead of some of our mega-rich rivals, with attractive football formed around a core of English talent, and producing arguably the best English striker of the modern era? That clearly wasn't enough for any of these tossers to cheer us on, in fact half of them gathered around in support of Leicester, and we were actively painted as the bad guys who might spoil the fairytale. Every year they practically begged United to take Kane off our hands, and even did the same with Poch.

Oh, but now that they want to see Mou get a feather in his cap, suddenly it's acceptable to contemplate Spurs winning the league? I mean, I'll take it and all, but really it shows how fickle and petty these pundits truly are. Mourinho proving his haters wrong is more important to them than one of English football's historically great teams rising from the ashes in arguably the hardest period to do so ever. Why? Because we're Spurs.

Ah well. Sod 'em, but I'm happy for all the support we get.

Sadly there are still some that are not behind him, they don’t want to see us sit back against sides like city even if it gets us the win.
There’s a massive difference between the 2-0 last season and The 2-0 this season though.

I have no problem being reactive but when you are, you’ve gotta carry a massive threat when it’s your time to strike.

Today we did that and largely dictated what areas we wanted them to have the ball - a massive difference between that and hanging on for dear life and only doing something once they went down to 10 men

Mourinho is a big match manager and knows how to prepare his team tactically for these situations. This was probably his best "Mourinho" performance since he arrived and getting a goal less than 5 minutes in was golden.

I think the reasons for the recent resurgence are quite straightforward:

1) Harry Kane is fit and healthy for the first time since he got injured in the 6th round of the FA Cup against Millwall in March 2018.

2) Mourinho done an excellent job of not only identifying squad needs but being flexible in the market to meet those needs.

3) His defensive tactics are becoming second nature to the entire squad and the team is getting better at counter-attacking.

If he can overcome his conservative nature and trust his system with more well-rounded personnel against some of the less talented squads, then we'll be cooking with gas.
It's so obvious that the players have bought what he is selling. Or as Sherwood said in the post match analysis: Allowed themselves to be brainwashed by him. The squad leaders in particular.

It's going to be hard for a player to go against Jose's game plan when Harry Kane is picking up the third most tackles in a game.

Compare it to United where Pogba did not buy in to it and the rest of the squad followed suit until he managed to get Zlatan in to nullify Paul.

It's so obvious that the players have bought what he is selling. Or as Sherwood said in the post match analysis: Allowed themselves to be brainwashed by him. The squad leaders in particular.

It's going to be hard for a player to go against Jose's game plan when Harry Kane is picking up the third most tackles in a game.

Compare it to United where Pogba did not buy in to it and the rest of the squad followed suit until he managed to get Zlatan in to nullify Paul.
If a striker was made in a lab for Jose Mourinho they could not improve upon Kane. He's the perfect 9 for Mourinho.

I don't think he has anything to prove his record speaks for itself. Even at Utd he won trophies with Fellaini, Lingard, Lukaku et al. We've got better players than he had there.

What i would say is that if you look at his career it's full of extreme highs and then extreme lows. The key is to enjoy the highs and try not to lose your shit during the lows.

“It amazes me how many Utd fans still despise him and it almost stops them evaluating their current nonentity of a manager properly.”

Hopefully we won't make that mistake.

The difference that I have observed between their fans and our fans is that the majority of us don’t take anything for granted. The sense of entitlement of the United fanbase is what drove them to view Jose that way. No one team is entitled to win the premier league or challenge the premier league whilst playing beautiful football! This is the toughest league in the world! Building a team is the toughest thing and Jose has shown it over and over again that if given the support and trust, he will build a competitive team. He was basically allowed to do his job with one arm tied round his back and when it got towards the end of his tenure there, he pretty much had two arms tied behind his back. So, he fought the problems openly!

What’s worse, they wanted Jose to challenge and compete for the league whilst playing the “United Way” which many of them define as fast, attacking, beautiful flowing football, while bringing through their academy players! Like some for the pundits such as Gary Neville have said, before they know it, it’ll be 20 years before they challenge for the title again.

When Jose was battling player power and the lack of support from his bosses, the fanbase sided with their shiny social media elite players and their most hated Ed Woodward!

I hope I’m right about our fanbase here:)

The difference that I have observed between their fans and our fans is that the majority of us don’t take anything for granted. The sense of entitlement of the United fanbase is what drove them to view Jose that way. No one team is entitled to win the premier league or challenge the premier league whilst playing beautiful football! This is the toughest league in the world! Building a team is the toughest thing and Jose has shown it over and over again that if given the support and trust, he will build a competitive team. He was basically allowed to do his job with one arm tied round his back and when it got towards the end of his tenure there, he pretty much had two arms tied behind his back. So, he fought the problems openly!

What’s worse, they wanted Jose to challenge and compete for the league whilst playing the “United Way” which many of them define as fast, attacking, beautiful flowing football, while bringing through their academy players! Like some for the pundits such as Gary Neville have said, before they know it, it’ll be 20 years before they challenge for the title again.

When Jose was battling player power and the lack of support from his bosses, the fanbase sided with their shiny social media elite players and their most hated Ed Woodward!

I hope I’m right about our fanbase here:)
This Twitter post pretty much summarizes my feelings:

I posted when Jose was hired that if all we got out of this was a League Cup than it wasn't worth the potential fallout of a Mourinho tenure, but a few months back I said I would gladly eat shit if Jose won the league.

United fans will feel a bit differently in 10 or so years when they haven't won any major honors. Suddenly "The United Way" won't mean an damn thing beyond silverware.

Back
Top Bottom