Joseph Anthony Barton!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But we aren't being presented as the experts to millions of viewers - indeed paid as such.

And there are hundreds of people who would give better insight, precisely because they have "been there, done that."

It's called "lived experience".

If you think the female presenters are there for any reason other than to reduce the risk of reputational damage to the broadcaster in the context of woke-othordoxy, you are deluding yourself my friend.

They are not the "best available experts", they are there for reasons of political correctness.

Yes, yes #knuckledraggingcromagnonmangammonsteak ... or some such! :D
Men have been commenting of women’s sport (still do) for over a hundred years, and it’s only now you tell me that they haven’t got a clue what they’ve been saying due to their lived experiences.

:dempsey:

But we aren't being presented as the experts to millions of viewers - indeed paid as such.

And there are hundreds of people who would give better insight, precisely because they have "been there, done that."

If you think the female presenters are there for any reason other than to reduce the risk of reputational damage to the broadcaster in the context of woke-othordoxy, you are deluding yourself my friend.

They are not the "best available experts", they are there for reasons of political correctness.

#NeedsMoreJoeCole

Isn’t the bigger issue here the woeful standard of “ punditry “ , in general , that’s being served up these days?

Male or female; the overall level is breathtakingly low . Look up the word “ facile” and see if you agree with me or not .

There are some ( IMO ) excellent commentators / co-commentators/ pundits ; of both genders .

Most are at best , mediocre ( again of both genders ) . ( I’m being generous here ) .

It’s unfortunate timing that the influx of female presenters and pundits has co-incided with the race to the bottom regarding the actual quality of their “ work “ ( again, being generous here , with a few exceptions) .

In my view gender in no way precludes a person from being an excellent pundit ; equally it doesn’t preclude a person from being an abysmal one .

True equality !

Anyway: that’s what I think.

Last edited:
Men have been commenting of women’s sport (still do) for over a hundred years, and it’s only now you tell me that they haven’t got a clue what they’ve been saying due to their lived experiences.

:dempsey:
Dismissing lived experiences is a huge blow to the woke othordoxy. "Reflecting the society we serve" etc etc etc ... but why would it matter if lived experience is irrelevant?

Can't have it both ways it seems ? :D

Anyway, the men commenting on women's sport were/ are not their for reasons of political correctness ...

Dismissing lived experiences is a huge blow to the woke othordoxy. "Reflecting the society we serve" etc etc etc ... but why would it matter if lived experience is irrelevant?

Can't have it both ways it seems ? :D

Anyway, the men commenting on women's sport were/ are not their for reasons of political correctness ...
Why were the men commentating on their Sports/events?

Woke is not about diversity though - it’s a loose brand of identity politics that came out of American academia and was amplified (and distorted) by idiots on social media from around 2010.
I think you're basically right there, but the original meaning is important, so I want to add my penny's worth.

'Woke' has been around for a long time (since the 60s at least) and originally meant informed, self-ware and wise enough to know:

a) when you're lying to yourself

b) when you're being lied to

A is a lot harder than it sounds. Being aware of cognitive biases helps.

B includes being told that the definition of woke is some arbitrary political stance, or anything outside a set of critical faculties. But since some views are from a woke standpoint, it's easy to see why the 'woke mean this' and 'if you don't think this, you're not woke' bigots feel they are credible.

The term has been watered down by people who don't understand it and/or want to appropriate it for their own ends (either pro and anti wokeness). I think Orwell predicted this and it's right off the back of "I think everyone is bit tired of 'experts'".

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - Orwell - 1984

Being 'woke' won't change, even if the term changes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom