Julian Nagelsmann

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting video on Nagelsmann's tactics.

He does not send out the same formation game after game, hasn't done so at any of his stops. The shape of the team is opponent-dependent and he wants to be unpredictable. That would be rather novel in England.

His whole methodology is meant to combat the Klopp-style pressball that has now taken over the Premier League, to exploit teams eagerness to close down space. Makes some sense in that way, it seems conceptually similar to De Zerbi-ball.

Interesting video on Nagelsmann's tactics.

He does not send out the same formation game after game, hasn't done so at any of his stops. The shape of the team is opponent-dependent and he wants to be unpredictable. That would be rather novel in England.

His whole methodology is meant to combat the Klopp-style pressball that has now taken over the Premier League, to exploit teams eagerness to close down space. Makes some sense in that way, it seems conceptually similar to De Zerbi-ball.

But how many windows will it take to get players to fit his style? I know nothing about his style but hard to believe we have the players for it.

But how many windows will it take to get players to fit his style? I know nothing about his style but hard to believe we have the players for it.
Because he's so formationally flexible, it's not so much a question of players to suit specific roles as much as the overall level of passing and technical ability with the ball across the squad. Everybody needs to be comfortable finding teammates through opponent pressure all over the pitch.

The good news is Paratici has been pushing the squad in that direction already over the past couple of years.

The bad news is there are still some definite gaps. Hard to see Lloris playing this way. Hard to see Hojbjerg playing this way. Etc.

But part of what a good coach does is bring more out of players than they've previously shown.

The player turnover Nagelsmann would bring is probably stuff we would need anyway, I'd say.

Because he's so formationally flexible, it's not so much a question of players to suit specific roles as much as the overall level of passing and technical ability with the ball across the squad. Everybody needs to be comfortable finding teammates through opponent pressure all over the pitch.

The good news is Paratici has been pushing the squad in that direction already over the past couple of years.

The bad news is there are still some definite gaps. Hard to see Lloris playing this way. Hard to see Hojbjerg playing this way. Etc.

But part of what a good coach does is bring more out of players than they've previously shown.

The player turnover Nagelsmann would bring is probably stuff we would need anyway, I'd say.
Yeah, squad needs a rebuild. Changing of the guard, new era. Don't care if it takes a few windows, just get a manager and philosophy that isn't turgid.

Never watched any Nagelsmann, so I don't know if he's it. But, fuck, anything is better than what we have.

Back
Top Bottom