Julian Nagelsmann

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting video on Nagelsmann's tactics.

He does not send out the same formation game after game, hasn't done so at any of his stops. The shape of the team is opponent-dependent and he wants to be unpredictable. That would be rather novel in England.

His whole methodology is meant to combat the Klopp-style pressball that has now taken over the Premier League, to exploit teams eagerness to close down space. Makes some sense in that way, it seems conceptually similar to De Zerbi-ball.

Wonder if Rangnick can be persuaded to leave the Austria job for a DoF role with us. They worked together as manager and DoF at RB.

Interesting video on their tactics

Yep, this is my view too. I've no idea if he's happy with the international job but there are so many his age that doesn't like working almost part-time, they want to smell the grass every day so to speak.

But what a win it would be, or at least one that negates so many risks involved when appointing DoF and Manager/Head Coach.

Assuming there was no historical fallout that I am unaware of, they know each other, have worked extremely well together (I believe Rangnick loved him when he first appointed him). Most importantly both are associated with the same philosophy of how to play, Rangnick is well known for finding the right profile of players required.

Maybe I'm living in dreamland, but honestly, this is staring us in the face. A blank canvas for the two of them to paint on at a Club that will have money to spend. That potentially already has a crop of great young players that weren't given the chance under Conte.

I adore Poch and would welcome him back in a heartbeat but today, right now at this moment in time I would take Nagelsmann over him, as too Di Zerbi. The biggest reason for this is we absolutely 100% need a DoF in place, one that owns and nurtures a philosophy. Poch's record of working with DoF's is poor and without one his recruitment is highly suspect. We need a time of stability across all our football operations from the academy to 1st team, end this cycle of with every hire and fire we jump 180 degrees in direction of our style of play.

Isn’t that the same guy who said Kane would go to Munich?
Yep.

They do like to box themselves into corners don't they?

The Kane thing is genuine but in that 100% they (Bayern) want him, so he does the tapping up for them.

Nagelsmann will not go to us unless or until we can satisfy him of our DoF set-up, so much of this is just hot air and click-baiting.

Not having a DoF right now is a massive opportunity for us because if we are smart (loooooool) we can approach him and tailor-make an environment that he wants, and that he's comfortable with. "What DoF do you want to work with". "If we appoint him would you work at Tottenham".

I said this when the news broke that he had been fired, I stand by this even more strongly now that he taken one look at Chavs and seen they are in shit

Starting to think the same thing. I'm getting tired of managers who always make demands like they're god's gift to football.

Motherfucker, in the real world you can't have everything you want. If you want to really succeed you have to be flexible to real world conditions. Sometimes you have a shit player or two, key players get injured etc.

Pep is the only manager in the history of football to always get what he wants.
He wanted Kane

He just can’t catch a break against us

His latter success was riding on the financial coat tails of the marketing giant that was built based on his early success. Not to take the credit from him, but it's easy to believe that United would have been about as successful in the 00s with another competent manager.
He wrung an unbelievable amount out of pretty ordinary and/or old players in the latter years of his tenure.

He won the title and made the CL final with a team whose leading scorers were Berbatov and Chicharito.

41 year old in goal, only 4 players made 30+ league starts, one of whom was Nani.

His last team was probably even weaker, albeit with that supernova of a season from van Persie (lol)

If brains were gold, you’d be homeless.
This brings up an interesting hypothetical.

But first, let's assume your brain was made of gold. The average human brain weighs 3 pounds, and gold is currently worth ~£20k/lb. This makes your entire golden brain worth £60k - meaning anyone would likely still be homeless, assuming they were so with a non-golden brain.

No matter, let's get to the hypothetical: at £20k/lb, how much of your brain would you be willing to part with? Keep in mind, you can apparently get about £4k for your "spare" kidney.

Pretending as if a club with a spine like that was some sort of underdog is a bit crazy.
An underdog would be overstating it. But City and Chelsea definitely had stronger squads top to bottom and United cantered to the title by 11 points anyway.

Ferdinand was 34, Scholes was 38 and in his final season and Giggs was 39. And tons of Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Shinji Kagawa, Tom Cleverley, Jonny Evans, etc mixed in.

I don't even remember who Anders Lindegaard is to be honest, but he started 10 games in goal, de Gea must have gotten hurt.

Anyway, moral of the story, I think Fergie's record is just astonishing in every period of his career. He's the top coach in the game's history and I don't think it's a terribly close call. Which is not to say his record isn't padded by financial advantages, but unlike the Pep's of the world he showed his quality without 11 world class players in the team every week too.

The same guy who did that in 2012-13 also ended 15 years of Old Firm dominance with Aberdeen in 1979-80. The breadth is unfathomable, nobody else is even close.

It'll be interesting too see how they do at OT tonight. I fully expect Leipzig to crush United, but then I thought PSG would do the same.

Interesting article here - where's he off to? City, United, Chelsea?

Back
Top Bottom