Julian Nagelsmann

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's also this:

So anything less than a €8M/yr offer, and he's working at the next club for free (or worse, paying for the privilege of working for the club). So it's also reasonable to think he inquired early about the salary on offer at Chelsea/PSG and wasn't much tempted at taking those positions for whatever terms they were prepared to offer.

He wrung an unbelievable amount out of pretty ordinary and/or old players in the latter years of his tenure.

He won the title and made the CL final with a team whose leading scorers were Berbatov and Chicharito.

41 year old in goal, only 4 players made 30+ league starts, one of whom was Nani.

His last team was probably even weaker, albeit with that supernova of a season from van Persie (lol)
Because I can't help myself

Honest to god, this is the United side that beat West Ham on 28 November 2012, along their way to the title

Lindegaard
Rafael Smalling Evans Evra
Cleverley Carrick Rooney Anderson
Chicharito van Persie

Of course they won. It was Fergie. The United aura is hard to explain now, but my god it was real.

An underdog would be overstating it. But City and Chelsea definitely had stronger squads top to bottom and United cantered to the title by 11 points anyway.

Ferdinand was 34, Scholes was 38 and in his final season and Giggs was 39. And tons of Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Shinji Kagawa, Tom Cleverley, Jonny Evans, etc mixed in.

I don't even remember who Anders Lindegaard is to be honest, but he started 10 games in goal, de Gea must have gotten hurt.

Anyway, moral of the story, I think Fergie's record is just astonishing in every period of his career. He's the top coach in the game's history and I don't think it's a terribly close call. Which is not to say his record isn't padded by financial advantages, but unlike the Pep's of the world he showed his quality without 11 world class players in the team every week too.

Said wealth was also to a significant degree thanks to the success on the pitch that he cultivated too.

Whereas Pep's playing with all the cheat-codes.

Last edited:
Digging this one up, as apparently he's on the list for the Germany job.

And apparently Bayern are, and I quote "open to him becoming Germany manager"

Which means they are still fully employing him and dictate where he goes next.

Which makes me wonder, did we make contact, and Bayern start talking about Kane so we hung up real quick. And that's why this one went dead when it looked a possibility.

**this is nothing to do with whether I wanted him (I did) we have someone else and I fully expect us to go back for Nagelsmann another time**

Comes across a bit Conte'y imho. Anybody who had some fire in their belly would be managing a pub team by the start of the season rather than chilling out on gardening leave. See: Warnock or Hodgeson.

It's not as if he wouldn't be a multi millionaire managing anywhere else so it can't entirely be just about free money.

Are you me?

Mate

:ange-clap:

HpjVg6v.jpg
:ange-hmm:

I think by Bayern standards their league form had been poor .. they were top but only just, which over there is a step away from disaster.

But yeah, Tuchel did worse by basically every measure, and I really do rate Tuchel. Think it's pretty clear Nagelsmann is a very good coach but maybe wasn't quite suited to a job like Bayern quite yet, at the rung below that he's proven very effective at establishing an attractive, high energy system which gets results.
That's probably it. He's definitely a good coach based on his previous work but Bayern is just different. People think that anyone can win at clubs like that but it just isn't true.

This is why I have respect for coaches like Enrique and Ancelotti. Managing top clubs isn't as easy as people make it out to be. Working with top players with massive egos, keeping them motivated and willing to run through brick walls for you isn't easy. Tuchel is one of the best in the world and even he's struggling at Bayern.

Managers like Nagelsmann probably have the tactical side down, but there's more to management than that. You need to get the players to believe in you, and they just haven't done enough to get that level respect yet from the big egos you have to deal with at elite clubs. Even Arteta had to ship out most of the Woolwich squad and replace them with youngsters who'll listen to him.

Yep.

They do like to box themselves into corners don't they?

The Kane thing is genuine but in that 100% they (Bayern) want him, so he does the tapping up for them.

Nagelsmann will not go to us unless or until we can satisfy him of our DoF set-up, so much of this is just hot air and click-baiting.

Not having a DoF right now is a massive opportunity for us because if we are smart (loooooool) we can approach him and tailor-make an environment that he wants, and that he's comfortable with. "What DoF do you want to work with". "If we appoint him would you work at Tottenham".

I said this when the news broke that he had been fired, I stand by this even more strongly now that he taken one look at Chavs and seen they are in shit

Levy always had a hard-on for Nagelsmann and it was just so flukey that the day Paratici knew for sure, the Chavs deal fell through.

If Levy really does want this guy, this is the window to do it.

Not saying he will do it, but it's there.

btw How in the fuck do you come up with a song for Nagelsmann?
Maybe just use Julian instead.

"And I think it's gonna be a long, long time
'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home
Oh, no, no, no
I'm Julian Nagelsmann...
Nagelsmann,
burning out his fuse up here alone..."
Fuck me , I wondered where you were going with that , love it

If he has a bad start and the pressure is on we can switch to

Stand by Nagelsmann
Give him two games to change it
a stadium warm to come to
when the boardroom’s cold and lonely

Because he's so formationally flexible, it's not so much a question of players to suit specific roles as much as the overall level of passing and technical ability with the ball across the squad. Everybody needs to be comfortable finding teammates through opponent pressure all over the pitch.

The good news is Paratici has been pushing the squad in that direction already over the past couple of years.

The bad news is there are still some definite gaps. Hard to see Lloris playing this way. Hard to see Hojbjerg playing this way. Etc.

But part of what a good coach does is bring more out of players than they've previously shown.

The player turnover Nagelsmann would bring is probably stuff we would need anyway, I'd say.
Yeah, squad needs a rebuild. Changing of the guard, new era. Don't care if it takes a few windows, just get a manager and philosophy that isn't turgid.

Never watched any Nagelsmann, so I don't know if he's it. But, fuck, anything is better than what we have.

Back
Top Bottom