Kidding myself

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im starting to believe that my high ratings of our squad down the years has been blown out out of proportion.

Im wondering if this is our level, and we have been punching above our weight. The fact is, that alot of our players are simply not that good, and Ive been thinking they are.

Players that would make it a top club in our squad are:

Bale - although over hyped
Ade
Sandro

Under that, there are the likes of Dembele, Lloris, Vertonghen who I think will have no problems proving their worth.

Im actually starting to think that Hudd is fairly crap, and we've seen all there is to see from Lennon.

Walker could as well be at Villa still. Gallas, Dawson, BAE, Defoe, Kaboul, Siggy, Livemore Dempsey....an endless list of solid yet crap in equal measure players, and the rest of our squad are kids, or old.

I think Im going to lower my expectations, to make this transitional season more bearable.

Sammy you need to chill out, cool down and remember that we are Tottenham super Tottenham!

Seriously+4+rolls+in+a+row+_861d9934a4b83665fd039bd9915bec3d.jpg

Go have a pint or something, and cool down.

Sammy you need to chill out, cool down and remember that we are Tottenham super Tottenham!

Seriously+4+rolls+in+a+row+_861d9934a4b83665fd039bd9915bec3d.jpg

Go have a pint or something, and cool down.

Im calm, just reflecting. I think my assessment of the squad was pretty bang on, and the fact we keep getting dicked by crap teams serves as some kind of evidence. This has been going on or years.

We had an absolutely brilliant 5 months last season and thats what got us 4th.

But, even with a fit squad, and "top" players, we still suffer from the same things that we did under Jol.

I havent said we are mid table. I think maybe we are just a top 7 side, and instead of looking at City, and Man U, we should be looking at the teams around us. I mean....they are the teams around us.

I have been telling myself for the last few years, we are easily on a par or even better than The Scum. We clearly are'nt though.

I have been telling myself for the last few years, we are easily on a par or even better than The Scum. We clearly are'nt though.

We ARE better than the scum though, today's game could never be a fair assessment of our true capabilities. Ade was going to be key to anything we did today, him getting sent off was always going to destroy the game as a contest. You can't base any aspersions on our team today.

Don't believe the "truth"

My whole point in this thread is that I believe that I have been overrating our squad. It doesnt matter who on paper looks better....5-2 twice, and we havent finished above Woolwich since 1993 or something.

Whats makes us better? I used to tell myself it was just their winning mentality. Fuck me, they dont even have one these days.

I'm sort of with Sammy on this one, I think some of our players are overrated by us fans.
The likes of Huddlestone, Gallas, Walker (on current form) Livermore, Defoe, Dempsey, Siggy, wouldnt get anywhere near top 4 starting 11's.
I would argue the likes of Lennon would struggle too, he's always been a nearly man for me, he teases you with a few good performances then just goes off the boil again.
Maybe I'm down in the dumps but I see what Sammy is getting at.
We need injured players back fast and some reinforcements in Jan imo.

My whole point in this thread is that I believe that I have been overrating our squad. It doesnt matter who on paper looks better....5-2 twice, and we havent finished above Woolwich since 1993 or something.

Whats makes us better? I used to tell myself it was just their winning mentality. Fuck me, they dont even have one these days.

We were all over them with 11 men. And I firmly believe we would have beaten them. I don't blame Adebayor for getting sent off, he was just over excited. Still think he is key to any success we have this season.

Am I really the only person here who doesn't think we were smashing them into tiny pieces until Adebayor went off?

Agree with Sammy that the scum are better than us. Last season I think we could have been better than them but weren't come the final say for reasons we've dissected a hundred times on here. This season they are better than us IMO. Losing a man doesn't necessarily mean you lose by three clear goals either. If the scum were as shit today as everyone is making out, the score would have been much closer (unless you're saying we were even shitter?)

Dont think we were 'all over them' 11v 11 though

They were nowhere mate, they couldn't handle us, and Ade was looking absolute quality he made Wilshite look a right muppet at one point. We were playing with a swagger, and passing it all over the shop. Vertonghen's pass to Defoe was beautiful for one.

Im not talking about today. Im talking about the core of this squad, and some of those who have come and gone over the last 3-4 years, and how I may have been thinking they are better than they are.

Im talking about Wigan twice, Norwich three times, Hull, West Ham, Wolves, QPR, Reading, West Brom, Stoke, Blackpool, Blackburn....... all regularly causing us massive problems for large spells of various games, and taking points of us way too often.

Even Southampton battered us for an entire half.

Am I really the only person here who doesn't think we were smashing them into tiny pieces until Adebayor went off?

Agree with Sammy that the scum are better than us. Last season I think we could have been better than them but weren't come the final say for reasons we've dissected a hundred times on here. This season they are better than us IMO. Losing a man doesn't necessarily mean you lose by three clear goals either. If the scum were as shit today as everyone is making out, the score would have been much closer (unless you're saying we were even shitter?)

We had chances to make it closer, if Bale had passed to Defoe it would have been 4-3.

They were nowhere mate, they couldn't handle us, and Ade was looking absolute quality he made Wilshite look a right muppet at one point. We were playing with a swagger, and passing it all over the shop. Vertonghen's pass to Defoe was beautiful for one.
Its a game of opinions I suppose but I really didnt see it like that. Woolwich were keeping the ball well, we were struggling to keep it anywhere near as long.
Im not saying we looked bad, we didnt at all, Verts was looking good in possession but Bale barely touched the ball in first 15-20mins, same goes for Lennon.

With you on Moutinho.
Dont think we were 'all over them' 11v 11 though

Some seem to be overstating our dominance. There's no doubt we played effectively in the first 15 min but I'm not sure that should lead to the conclusion that we would've thumped the scum had Ade stayed on the pitch.

If we had Ade & Defoe up front the whole game, and Park, BAE & Dembele in the side would we still have been weaker then them?

This whole thread stinks of knee-jerk. Everyone is down in the dumps, negativity is flowing and off the back of a horrid result and all of a sudden the scum are better.

Well, if the scum are so fucking superior how come they only managed to finsih a point above us last year? How come this season they've been stuck behind us in the table until today? Who are their world beaters?

Not buying it. You lot are letting your dissapointment influence you.

We have the players we have until January at the very least. They are by no means a barrel load of shit, and most PL teams would kill to sign half of them at minimum.

Lets get behind them. They are our lads, whether the scum are better or not.

Im not talking about today. Im talking about the core of this squad, and some of those who have come and gone over the last 3-4 years, and how I may have been thinking they are better than they are.

Im talking about Wigan twice, Norwich three times, Hull, West Ham, Wolves, QPR, Reading, West Brom, Stoke, Blackpool, Blackburn....... all regularly causing us massive problems for large spells of various games, and taking points of us way too often.

Even Southampton battered us for an entire half.

Those teams are all notorious for taking points off the bigger clubs though. United lost at home to blackburn last season, and look how shit they were. Yes I will agree with you that we have some over rated players in our ranks, but we also have some players with immense quality.

Sandro
Bale
Adebayor
Defoe (I do not agree that he is over rated, he scores hat fulls)
Vertonghen
Lloris

We have some incredibly talented young players

Caulker
Siggs (he is still only 21 isn't he? and still needs to settle)
Carroll
Walker (won young player of the year last year)

We have some proven experienced international players

Gallas (I know he looks pap sometimes but his experience is priceless)
Parker
Dawson
Friedel

And we have £20 million in the bank waiting for Porto to sign the fax we sent them at midnight on deadline day.

:levyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom