Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For balance and perspective, Aurier's performance against LFC/Mane was much, much better, but then there is a subtle difference in how the manager sets them up to be debated.

Mane had the same amount of shots and created as many chances against us as he did today.

Yet Aurier got unanimous praise. I agree that Auriers performance was better. But that's because Aurier for the most part this season has been monstrous defensively.

Most tackles won too.

Crazy what people see.

Then again, if we had kept a cleansheet against Liverpool. Our full backs would probably have been praised completely.
Crazy is what it is. The public vote on BBC has Ings as MOTM. Ward Prowse in second. KWP third. And that’s a public vote, but people seemingly voting for the scorer above all else.

Looks like you saw the number of times KWP got a tackle in, which was a few. I mainly saw the number of times Mane got the ball several meters away from KWP, who I assumed should have been marking him.

FWIW, I thought Armstrong and Stephens were the best players on the park tonight.

Crazy is what it is. The public vote on BBC has Ings as MOTM. Ward Prowse in second. KWP third. And that’s a public vote, but people seemingly voting for the scorer above all else.

Looks like you saw the number of times KWP got a tackle in, which was a few. I mainly saw the number of times Mane got the ball several meters away from KWP, who I assumed should have been marking him.

FWIW, I thought Armstrong and Stephens were the best players on the park tonight.

Depends on what Mane done with the ball. Just by going off stats he was as dangerous today as he was against us.

We've set up plenty of times over the last year to give opposing wide men all the time in the world to cross knowing we would deal with it when the cross came in.

Southampton defended excellently all game. KWP was part of that.

Depends on what Mane done with the ball. Just by going off stats he was as dangerous today as he was against us.

We've set up plenty of times over the last year to give opposing wide men all the time in the world to cross knowing we would deal with it when the cross came in.

Southampton defended excellently all game. KWP was part of that.
Granted, he didn’t do a huge amount with the ball. But I’m not sure that’s because KWP was good though. Risky business letting Mane run past you half a dozen times, get tangled up in his legs in the area, allow him to chest the ball down in the six yard box.

Hey, it worked, so we are all happy. Just not understanding the KWP love. If one of our RBs gave a player like Mane all that space, we’d have a contract out on him.

Granted, he didn’t do a huge amount with the ball. But I’m not sure that’s because KWP was good though. Risky business letting Mane run past you half a dozen times, get tangled up in his legs in the area, allow him to chest the ball down in the six yard box.

Hey, it worked, so we are all happy. Just not understanding the KWP love. If one of our RBs gave a player like Mane all that space, we’d have a contract out on him.

Again, depends on what we allow them to do with it.

As I've said. Plenty of times we've given players (Under Mourinho) plenty of time and space to do something knowing full well we defend so well from open play that it's not an issue.

We mostly do this with midfielders though. We gave De Bruyne all the space in the world when we played City... Yet our midfield and defence got unanimous praise.

As they should. They kept a cleansheet. As should Southampton and KWP today.

It just looks like to me that the people that are dismissing the KWP performance are those who had it down in their heads for years that he was never good enough for us so critique him even when he doesn't play for us.

Again, depends on what we allow them to do with it.

As I've said. Plenty of times we've given players (Under Mourinho) plenty of time and space to do something knowing full well we defend so well from open play that it's not an issue.

We mostly do this with midfielders though. We gave De Bruyne all the space in the world when we played City... Yet our midfield and defence got unanimous praise.

As they should. They kept a cleansheet. As should Southampton and KWP today.

It just looks like to me that the people that are dismissing the KWP performance are those who had it down in their heads for years that he was never good enough for us so critique him even when he doesn't play for us.
Didn’t really see enough of KWP to decide if he was good enough for us or not. Don’t think anyone did. Except the managers who never played him I suppose.

But tonight he was part of a clean sheet defence. So there is that. But I’m more likely to praise the guys who cleared Mane’s crosses and closed down his half dozen shooting chances, not the guy who let those happen. In fact, didn’t see much threat on Southampton’s left, so Bertrand would get higher praise from me for not allowing chances at all.

But we all see different stuff. Not saying you are wrong, just saying I can’t see it. One thing we can agree on is he was, by a distance, the best right back on the pitch tonight.

I like the kid but I didn't think he was close to MOTM tonight, I didn't think he was defensively great to be honest, but part of that was being up against possibly the hardest attacking player to play against, part is that the weaker part of KWP's game is his defending. He does get physically bullied a bit at times. But he is pretty dynamic, technically pretty sound and does offer himself and get on the ball and looks to play or bring it forwards and that suits Hasenhuttl's ethos.

I wrote this elsewhere, so I'll just paste it here:

I would have given it (MOTM) to Ward-Prowse or Diallo, I thought the 20yo having his first start was very good, tenacious, dynamic, didn't panic on the ball, I liked the look of him a lot, and another one to add to the "better than the donkey we've got there some weeks" list.

I like the kid but I didn't think he was close to MOTM tonight, I didn't think he was defensively great to be honest, but part of that was being up against possibly the hardest attacking player to play against, part is that the weaker part of KWP's game is his defending. He does get physically bullied a bit at times. But he is pretty dynamic, technically pretty sound and does offer himself and get on the ball and looks to play or bring it forwards and that suits Hasenhuttl's ethos.

I wrote this elsewhere, so I'll just paste it here:

I would have given it (MOTM) to Ward-Prowse or Diallo, I thought the 20yo having his first start was very good, tenacious, dynamic, didn't panic on the ball, I liked the look of him a lot, and another one to add to the "better than the donkey we've got there some weeks" list.
Diallo had a really great game!

sad ben affleck GIF

For balance and perspective, Aurier's performance against LFC/Mane was much, much better, but then there is a subtle difference in how the manager sets them up to be debated.
That was one of the best individual performances by one of our players this season, shaded only by Kane against think it was City. But the player has too much baggage for some to see both the downside and upside without bias.

Could do much worse than bringing him back

Why would he come back? We sent him away because his managers here didn’t rate him. He could play for a better club than Tottenham now and have a good laugh at us.

Poch made a big mistake trusting in Aurier and Foyth after we sold Trippier instead of KWP. We could have saved ourselves the £40m we spent on Emerson and Doherty.

Why would he come back? We sent him away because his managers here didn’t rate him. He could play for a better club than Tottenham now and have a good laugh at us.

Poch made a big mistake trusting in Aurier and Foyth after we sold Trippier instead of KWP. We could have saved ourselves the £40m we spent on Emerson and Doherty.

Absolutely right. The fcuk decisions we make as a club. It's just bizarre.

He was always technically capable, good touch, decent dribble, can cross OK etc. but he clearly lacked the pace, power and the balls to handle playing for a club under pressure to win a trophy and facing the likes of Barca and Real madrid.

Well... we've sunk low enough that he doesn't have to worry about trophy pressures or being a big game player. He'd do a better job than what we got right now.

Back
Top Bottom