Kyle Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You are definitely letting your bias influence your interpretation. To say Trippier is shite shows this.

The sequence is pretty clear because both Poch and now Walker are saying he requested the move after the balance of rotation changed.

To say they were rotated evenly beforehand is bollocks and you know it. Walker got all the big games, Trippier played a third of the league minutes Walker did in 16/17 and most of them came after January.

I don’t think either are shite, I don’t think either are fantastic. I think Walker is stronger defensively, but still does stupid things and Trippier much better offensively/midfield. On balance I’d take Trippier, because I prefer my footballers to have a brain.

Poch:

1of9dvO.jpg

And I think it’s telling that both Poch and Southgate have ended up preferring Trippier.

If Poch was desperate to keep Walker he could have, by assuring him he’s number 1 and even getting him a raise, as he did with TA. As we also saw with Dier and initially Rose. Both also pursued by Manchester clubs.

I still look forward to KWP being given more game time, because I think he could be better than all of them.
Jesus mate, genuinely not sure where you are going with this. YOU SAID THAT "WALKER HIMSELF HAS NOW BACKED UP ONCE AN FOR ALL".
I'm saying no this isn't the case. There are now two different versions of what happened, whereas there was only one (Poch's) before.

What my opinion of either of the two of them has fuck all to do with anything.

END.

Let’s put this into the right context. That passage is after this passage:

ouhH1kZ.jpg

Then subsequently, a while after, when it became apparent that Trippier was now getting preferential rotation (where previously that had always been Walker), you get the passage you quote.

I believe Walker knew ManC and probably ManU we’re interested in him already. But that goes for most of our players. But I don’t think he’d have thrown his little tantrum and gone about it like he did, if his nose hadn’t been put out of joint by Poch deciding to give Trippier more games.

I’ve never said it’s black and white, but it’s clear that Walker marching in and saying he wants to leave was definitely after Poch had started to play Trippier more, and for the weekend games, not just as “number 2 back up”. Whereas many seem to think it was the other way round. Now even Walker has pretty much corroborated this version of events.

I don’t blame Walker at all, in his situation I’d have done the same. Be rotation on less money or be first choice on more money at City? But I don’t think he’d have jumped - especially in the “toys out of pram” way that he did, or been allowed to go (as we had him on a long deal and blocked others like Dier and Rose) if Trippier hadn’t established himself as Poch’s first choice or at least equal choice.

The irony is Walker has been shunted out of his preferred position for England by Trippier as well...........maybe he should have just stayed to fight for his place at Spurs and he would have kept it for England as well

Jesus mate, genuinely not sure where you are going with this. YOU SAID THAT "WALKER HIMSELF HAS NOW BACKED UP ONCE AN FOR ALL".
I'm saying no this isn't the case. There are now two different versions of what happened, whereas there was only one (Poch's) before.

What my opinion of either of the two of them has fuck all to do with anything.

END.

You have this marvellous ability to ignore simple facts. Like when you claimed that Trippier was targeted by the opposition, then I showed you statistical evidence that proved we were attacked more down our left throughout the season, and you still chose to ignore it and repeat that Tippier was targeted.

This is from your own post:

He's completely refuting that claim mate.............

Walker disputes this, claiming for the first time this week that he only chose to go after Pochettino began to leave him out of the team.

This is what I said to you a couple of weeks ago based on Poch's book. In Poch's book the sequence is; choosing to select Trippier for weekend league games, then Walker getting the hump and saying he wants to leave, to which Poch responds that he's angry at Walker's timing (as we were in a genuine title race and Cup run) and wishes he'd just kept his head down, worked through the end of the season, and then talked about it, (ie not caused a shitstorm in the dressing room because his nose was a bit out of joint).

Walker is even quoted as saying "I wanted to tell you (Poch), before I tell my agent".

Walker isn't actually disagreeing with the chronology, he's corroborating it, he's just annoyed that Poch made public their conversation, making him out to be a sulky baby, spitting his dummy out because he got demoted.

END. END.

I’m not sure where I stand on the whole “timing” of him telling Poch:

- on the one hand, completely agree with Poch that we were as close as we’ve ever been to win something major and nothing should’ve derailed focus

- on the other hand, could be argued it’s a mark of respect for him to speak to Poch before his agent, and as soon as he’d mentally decided (i’m Not validating that decision fyi). If he’d have sat on it and then it emerged he’d known for months i’m sure Poch would be equally annoyed. Arguably it gave him extra time to plan for the post-walker future

If the real reason is that Walker didn't want to be rotated so much (understandable if you're the best fullback in the league) why even bother with all the other reasons?

Poch says that Walker basically said he did all he could for the club and has been here long enough blah blah fresh challenge. Does that mean if we had played him every game he would have felt the same or not?

Wamting a new challenge is completely different and unrelated to being undervalued/underplayed. Then he mentions being up north close to his mum too.

Which reason is it? One, two, all?

Poch is loyal. Walker listens to Drake. I know who I'm with.

You have this marvellous ability to ignore simple facts. Like when you claimed that Trippier was targeted by the opposition, then I showed you statistical evidence that proved we were attacked more down our left throughout the season, and you still chose to ignore it and repeat that Tippier was targeted.

This is from your own post:

This is what I said to you a couple of weeks ago based on Poch's book. In Poch's book the sequence is; choosing to select Trippier for weekend league games, then Walker getting the hump and saying he wants to leave, to which Poch responds that he's angry at Walker's timing (as we were in a genuine title race and Cup run) and wishes he'd just kept his head down, worked through the end of the season, and then talked about it, (ie not caused a shitstorm in the dressing room because his nose was a bit out of joint).

Walker is even quoted as saying "I wanted to tell you (Poch), before I tell my agent".

Walker isn't actually disagreeing with the chronology, he's corroborating it, he's just annoyed that Poch made public their conversation, making him out to be a sulky baby, spitting his dummy out because he got demoted.

END. END.

Do you seriously believe that Walker “decided” to leave before City has tapped him up? Really?

There is a video somewhere of Walker saying “Spurs for life” or something similar just a month before his massive change of heart. The facts are 90% of footballers will choose money and success over loyalty. The thing is it’s much easier to dress it up as wanting to move home or wanting more playing time, an absolute fucking joke in Walkers case as you point out, for their media profile.

Do you seriously believe that Walker “decided” to leave before City has tapped him up? Really?

There is a video somewhere of Walker saying “Spurs for life” or something similar just a month before his massive change of heart. The facts are 90% of footballers will choose money and success over loyalty. The thing is it’s much easier to dress it up as wanting to move home or wanting more playing time, an absolute fucking joke in Walkers case as you point out, for their media profile.
You make a lot of good points. But just for a pure philosophical discussion I also think that playres and fans operate with different definitions of "for life". Fans don't switch clubs (or shouldn't at least). You have one club that defines you as a fan (maybe with a couple of other teams in other leagues that you keep track off on top of that). But in today's game players move around a lot so most of them don't have that connection to a club. But Walker might still see himself as "Spurs" because he spent so long at the club and knows that it is where he in large made his name. His current employer being City doesn't remove his Tottenham past. For us the club is pure passion but for him it was also a job if that makes sense. And sometimes your job makes you have to move.

He obviously doesn't play for us anymore but he most likely keeps track of the club and still has a lot of friends in the club obviously. His kids are spurs fans as well.

Not to justify either side of the argument just a bit of philosophical rambling on my part.

I have said, constantly, that I am sure he was tapped up before deciding to leave. But I think losing his status as clear number 1, pushed him into acting on it.

You make a lot of good points. But just for a pure philosophical discussion I also think that playres and fans operate with different definitions of "for life". Fans don't switch clubs (or shouldn't at least). You have one club that defines you as a fan (maybe with a couple of other teams in other leagues that you keep track off on top of that). But in today's game players move around a lot so most of them don't have that connection to a club. But Walker might still see himself as "Spurs" because he spent so long at the club and knows that it is where he in large made his name. His current employer being City doesn't remove his Tottenham past. For us the club is pure passion but for him it was also a job if that makes sense. And sometimes your job makes you have to move.

He obviously doesn't play for us anymore but he most likely keeps track of the club and still has a lot of friends in the club obviously. His kids are spurs fans as well.

Not to justify either side of the argument just a bit of philosophical rambling on my part.

No I have no problem with Walker wanting or getting his move, I don’t blame him at all. Careers are short and apart from memories medals are all you have to show for it.

My point is more that Walker was clearly approached by City in the second half of the season.

I have said, constantly, that I am sure he was tapped up before deciding to leave. But I think losing his status as clear number 1, pushed him into acting on it.

No way to tell really, you could argue both sides of it. However I would like to think a professional footballer would fight for a place in the team he had been at for 8 years a little more. I mean if Danilo took his spot do you think he would be looking for a move from City? I highly doubt it. I have to say I believe he would have went even if he was first choice, money and glory.

No way to tell really, you could argue both sides of it. However I would like to think a professional footballer would fight for a place in the team he had been at for 8 years a little more. I mean if Danilo took his spot do you think he would be looking for a move from City? I highly doubt it. I have to say I believe he would have went even if he was first choice, money and glory.

What if Danilo took his spot, and Real Madrid were tapping him up and offering an extra 50k a week?

That’s pretty much the scenario. The glory thing is not so prevalent because we’d finished above City two seasons running (Walker even days this himself), and if we were really desperate to keep him, we could have offered him more money (as we did with Alderweireld).

I think from everything said by Poch and Walker, there was concrete interest from ManC, but it’s not until he loses his clear number 1 status that he gets the hump and decides to act on it. And I don’t really blame him, except the timing of the way he went about it.

What if Danilo took his spot, and Real Madrid were tapping him up and offering an extra 50k a week?

That’s pretty much the scenario. The glory thing is not so prevalent because we’d finished above City two seasons running (Walker even days this himself), and if we were really desperate to keep him, we could have offered him more money (as we did with Alderweireld).

I think from everything said by Poch and Walker, there was concrete interest from ManC, but it’s not until he loses his clear number 1 status that he gets the hump and decides to act on it. And I don’t really blame him, except the timing of the way he went about it.

We had finished above them sure, but still haven’t won or come near winning fuck all if we are being honest. The prospects playing for City under Pep are pretty much nailed on your going to win something. I don’t really know why you cant see that, Walker wanted to go for more than just not playing every game and even if we had of offered him a new deal I don’t think he would have signed it knowing City were waiting. Toby is a prime example, we have offered him more money but he wants to move on, we have finished above United a lot over the last number of years but he would still rather move on to a club like that than stay with us.

We are progressing but top four and CL will only get you so far, we need to start winning trophies and regularly or players will move on.

We had finished above them sure, but still haven’t won or come near winning fuck all if we are being honest. The prospects playing for City under Pep are pretty much nailed on your going to win something. I don’t really know why you cant see that, Walker wanted to go for more than just not playing every game and even if we had of offered him a new deal I don’t think he would have signed it knowing City were waiting. Toby is a prime example, we have offered him more money but he wants to move on, we have finished above United a lot over the last number of years but he would still rather move on to a club like that than stay with us.

We are progressing but too for and CL will only get you so far, we need to start winning trophies and regularly or players will move on.

Then KW's moaning about being demoted would be bollocks then, innit... He went for cash & easy ('doped') glory.

If such an offer wasn't on the table, do we assume he would have continued to welcome the competition like he had previously stated?

The fact that he wasn't prepared to fight for his place when faced with adversity speaks volumes (to me) and seemingly did to Poch too.

I wonder what he makes of his England predicament...?

Stones, McGuire, Gomez, Tarwotzit... CB looks better than when we were building towards the Euro's... I'd be sweating that if was KW. Maybe he can get a transfer to the Spain... France look pretty good for a trophy or two in the coming years...

Back
Top Bottom