Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I recall getting pretty angry at the cost of a Diet Pepsi when I was at West Ham a couple of seasons ago. Maybe their drinks are more expensive, so the pikeys buy less?

Think our fans are drinking glasses of Veuve Clicquot at £70 spend per head!

I’d normally buy 2 pizzas, 4 beers and 2 cokes. No way was I spending £210 per game! Someone is spending big money there.

Although I guess this figure includes merchandise too.
Our fans love a club shop visit judging by the shopping bags I have seen.

Someday if we at least continue this gradual upward growth, we'll be subject to a takeover or buy-in that gives us the sugar daddy cash to do what these other clubs are doing. One caveat though is that with the global economy doing poorly and all the war/conflict, we may have to wait for "peace" (whatever that is) for the economy to be doing well enough again for things like petro-state and oligarch investors to have the cash to make these sorts of bids possible.

In looking at the total winter transfer window business, the message I got is that pretty much everybody is broke, except us and maybe a few others. That was interesting and novel to see. I took it as a sign of global economic weakness.

It's not really fair to compare us with the other clubs though as they've had wealthy owners buy in with a ready pool of cash to spend freely. What we're doing right now- showing economic resiliency through a balanced and conservative business approach- looks to have been the right move for these kinds of unstable times.

Oil barons have more expendable money during war times. That’s half the point of war tbh.

FFP might be putting a few buyers off though if they don’t think they can use the money to buy a favourable public opinion via winning football trophies.

Think our fans are drinking glasses of Veuve Clicquot at £70 spend per head!

I’d normally buy 2 pizzas, 4 beers and 2 cokes. No way was I spending £210 per game! Someone is spending big money there.

Although I guess this figure includes merchandise too.
Our fans love a club shop visit judging by the shopping bags I have seen.
Did i get you on camera last week?

Music Video Vintage GIF

They are also in a good area to pick up a lot of young good players from south london. Then sell them on for big fees & go again.
Palace are a better proposition fot a wealthy businessman/group to buy than us IMO

They'd be far cheaper to buy, far far cheaper. The stadium is ripe for a rebuild in their own image. They have the draw of London still and potentially to squeeze a lot of money out of a more affluent part of the country than say Burnley, or even an Everton.
I'm surprised neither Palace nor Fulham have been bought out by heavy spenders tbh

Palace are a better proposition fot a wealthy businessman/group to buy than us IMO

They'd be far cheaper to buy, far far cheaper. The stadium is ripe for a rebuild in their own image. They have the draw of London still and potentially to squeeze a lot of money out of a more affluent part of the country than say Burnley, or even an Everton.
I'm surprised neither Palace nor Fulham have been bought out by heavy spenders tbh
U been to Croydon?

I don’t think FFP makes that appealing anymore. You can’t generate the income as quickly with Fulham or Palace to justify the investment. You’d have to do it sustainably and that’s not as exciting for PR and the returns take much longer.

I don’t think FFP makes that appealing anymore. You can’t generate the income as quickly with Fulham or Palace to justify the investment. You’d have to do it sustainably and that’s not as exciting for PR and the returns take much longer.
It wouldn't be quick, no but realistically, in London, no one else makes sense as they'd be valued so high there's no chance to make money from it.

I thought you wanted trophies and not money ?!

And half the posters here don't understand why investors don't feel the same way.
I was just saying Palace, to a wealthy group would make more sense than us. Levy would want billions to buy us leaving very little left to built a team.
Palace would, by comparison, cost the buyer peanuts. They could then spend some on the stadium and some on the team and cement them as a top half team, imo, quite easily. That could make money and success for them.

I was just saying Palace, to a wealthy group would make more sense than us. Levy would want billions to buy us leaving very little left to built a team.
Palace would, by comparison, cost the buyer peanuts. They could then spend some on the stadium and some on the team and cement them as a top half team, imo, quite easily. That could make money and success for them.

If you look at Spurs stadium - probably took best part of 10 years to get built, a lot due to about 7 or 8 years spent on political machinations which stopped any progress.

Construction costs since Spurs stadium was built have rocketed big time - its cost to build in Croydon might well be almost double what it cost Spurs.

Best case scenario would probably be a minimum of 5 years to rebuild and very likely more.

Any buyer would look at the disaster that is Chelsea where they have tried to rebuild the team at the same time as rebuilding the stadium ....... and say, no thanks to the idea of building both a team and stadium somewhere else in London.

If you look at Spurs stadium - probably took best part of 10 years to get built, a lot due to about 7 or 8 years spent on political machinations which stopped any progress.

Construction costs since Spurs stadium was built have rocketed big time - its cost to build in Croydon might well be almost double what it cost Spurs.

Best case scenario would probably be a minimum of 5 years to rebuild and very likely more.

Any buyer would look at the disaster that is Chelsea where they have tried to rebuild the team at the same time as rebuilding the stadium ....... and say, no thanks to the idea of building both a team and stadium somewhere else in London.
Our stadium took more like 20 years. And at least 10 of those were ENIC dithering on whether to develop, rebuild or relocate.
And then it was a battle with the council and only after the riots did they relent and allow it to happen. And even then it was held up by archway and still enic made changes and those delayed it further.

Is it great? Yes. Could it have been done cheaper and quicker, definitely.

Palace is in a totally different location. No idea whether they have land constraints that we had, politicians being dumb asses or local businesses being difficult. I suspect as they're not Spurs then no, none of that applies :roflmao:

Palace are owned by a group of yanks worth £ 4..4 billion..steve parish is the mouth peice and has a minor stake...and I think they start redeveloping the the main stand at the end of this season.

Selhurst Park is in Norwood, 5 miles from Croydon.
My late wifes family are all palace fans from South london/ Surrey..
There catchment area is actually huge

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom