Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thing is, players shouldn't need the PFA to tell them to do the right thing. Players at clubs should be able to agree among themselves to all take wage cuts or at least freezes. Disappointed so far in their lack of immediate action.

All non-playing staff, including directors are taking a 20% pay cut for the months of April and May.

Talks on going between the league, PFA and LMA about player salaries as well.

It is good that Levy is pressurising the governing bodies to ensure the players take wage cuts though. It’s not on him to do it without their movement first. I bet he’d love to reduce their wages by more than 20%, that’s for sure!

550 x£2800= £1.5m per months which is made in 1 match day on tickets, drinks and food, now using government grant.
I guess we get 80% refund for STs if ever.

Our players haven’t earned their wages with their performances this season

They should of been the first bunch to step forward and forgo a percentage

Not the non playing staff

Typical of this club right now though

Our players haven’t earned their wages with their performances this season

They should of been the first bunch to step forward and forgo a percentage

Not the non playing staff

Typical of this club right now though
Typical of the league if the PL and PFA are negotiating in regards to player wage cuts.

The players are by far the biggest wage post in the club so I don't think any clubd would hesitate to cut their salaries as well if they could.

If this pandemic goes on for another 3 months (which seems likely) i think football as a whole is going to look completely different going forward. Which might not be a bad thing, long term.
I really hope so. Maybe it will slow down the ridiculous transfer fees and lead to some kind of freezing of ticket prices or reduction for away fans...but maybe I'm being naive.

All non-playing staff, including directors are taking a 20% pay cut for the months of April and May.

Talks on going between the league, PFA and LMA about player salaries as well.
Levy always has excuses and stories about how money should not be spent on transfers. This is the only time that its acceptable.

So actually the club aren't paying anything to the non-playing staff by the sound of it. The government furlough scheme pays 80% with the recommendation that employers pay the remaining 20%, but the statement doesn't saying they're topping up.

You're right of course, there is no income - I used the wrong word, apologies but I can't imagine we are in a position where we have no residual 'cash' from the revenues brought in over the season. Personally, I think the message should have been first the salary cut from the players and coaches as and when that's agreed, and then the message re the non-playing staff to follow.
That would have been perhaps more palatable but that's not solely down to him and Spurs. Their contracts are different from the "normal" employees at the Club and given players earn more in a week that many of matchday staff will do in their lifetime it will always stick in the craw for most matchday goers (the same ones that shout "pay him what he wants " when a player is kicking up a stick over his contract).

As Levy states in his message, the PL, LMA & PFA have got to get on board and having seen this action taken so swiftly by Levy the pressure is well and truly on them now, even more for him directly calling them out.

That cash will get burnt in a matter of weeks. I don't know how we receive our money from sponsors, whether it's all in one payment, if it's in areas or paid upfront or on the drip but as the season isn't finished it will mean we either will not receive or will have to pay back. Same too with TV revenue and image right deals etc. Then, seeing as most players are now purchased on instalments our exposure to clubs in a far worse financial position to us might mean that we stop receiving payments from clubs who have bought our players (whilst we still pay for those that we have bought).

Our biggest expense is the wages we pay to the players and the manager's team, this needs to be lowered as soon as possible to mitigate exposure to the club's survival. That sounds doom and gloom, it is, however, we are one of the best-run football clubs in the World and genuinely believe the Board can navigate this. In fact, right now we have (apart from likes of PSG, City, Chelsea and their artificially financed clubs) probably the "Messi" of the football administrators running the Club.

This isn't a case of battening down the hatches, there is so much interdependency linking Clubs from around the Wolrd, this is a cluster fuck of epic proportions. A strong possibility the fallout from which will rumble on for many years.

Last edited:
I really hope so. Maybe it will slow down the ridiculous transfer fees and lead to some kind of freezing of ticket prices or reduction for away fans...but maybe I'm being naive.
A league were the powerhouses are United, Liverpool and City (too much money to fail) alongside Spurs and Newcastle (chairmen too stingy to go under).

What a time to be alive.

Also Everton is dead.

This isn't a case of battening down the hatches, there is so much interdependency linking Clubs from around the Wolrd, this is a cluster fuck of epic proportions. A strong possibility the fallout from which will rumble on for many years.

I hope so.

Overpaid players
Ridiculous transfer fees
Stupidly high ticket prices
Stupid times & days of matches
Entitled fans
Gentrification of the support
Tourists with laptops/pizza/popcorn
Away ticket closed shop

I could go on. I wonder how many people after 3-4 months of realising there is life outside of football will decide this is a good opportunity to call it a day?

You can access the actual accounts here. Looks like we have to keep over £100m in cash to satisfy the banks we’ve borrowed from. A bit like Woolwich had to but a lot less than them. All the details about loan repayments are in there as I know that excites some.

Thing is, players shouldn't need the PFA to tell them to do the right thing. Players at clubs should be able to agree among themselves to all take wage cuts or at least freezes. Disappointed so far in their lack of immediate action.
That's in all great in the world that we don't currently live in.

In the real world they are all represented by different agents, management companies, legal representatives, commercial sports agencies, all on different deals, at different stages of their careers and that reflecting huge disparities in their pay (Tangaga vs Kane).

A lot of people looking at what the Barca players did but the Barca players represent the highest wages on the planet, Barca players syphon off 80% of the entire Club revenue!! (Spurs players 45%). Spurs players are also compensated through heavy bonus payments unlike many of their counter parts at other clubs, so if there are no games being played there are no bonuses to be earned.

100% the players should look to reduce their financial demands on the club, but in so many cases it's not even down to the players. What if Son wants to drop his salary but his agent who might take a percentage of it then sues' him as he wants 100% of what he's owed? There are so many layers to this it's like peeling an onion.

One thing it's not is easy.

Exactly, shown up for the spoilt, selfish twats they are during all of this. If football never resumed again full stop most of them would be set for life, yet they hide behind PFA negotiations to keep raking in their full obscene wages whilst many are getting by on 80% of their minimum wage jobs.

Even the likes of Kane, given his character I'd have expected him to be one if the first to agree to a cut so that the 'normal' employees could keep a full wage.

And the collective effort to raise £100k from fans? Pathetic, how about every PL player donates a weeks wages to the NHS? Would make much more of a difference than raising pennies from the fans that already pay their wages.

Last edited:
Exactly, shown up for the spoilt, selfish twats they are during all of this. If football never resumed again full stop most of them would be set for life, yet they hide behind PFA negotiations to keep raking in their full onscene wages whilst many are getting by on 80% of their minimum wage jobs.

Even the likes of Kane, given his character I'd have expected him to be one if the first to agree to a cut so that the 'normal' employees could keep a full wage.

And the collective effort to raise £100k from fans? Pathetic, howvavoutbevery PL player donates a weeks wages to the NHS? Would make much more of a difference than raising pennies from the fans that already pay their wages.
Hypothetically speaking. If our entire first team squad agreed to one month with no wages. Surely that would almost if not completely cover the wages for our non playing staff for a year? Kane alone is on 200 grand a week guaranteed isn't he?

I hope so.

Overpaid players
Ridiculous transfer fees
Stupidly high ticket prices
Stupid times & days of matches
Entitled fans
Gentrification of the support
Tourists with laptops/pizza/popcorn
Away ticket closed shop

I could go on. I wonder how many people after 3-4 months of realising there is life outside of football will decide this is a good opportunity to call it a day?
All of that and also the society we all live too, including the pointless jobs most of us do too!

Whilst I think this should reset a lot of what we do and how we do it, I don't think it will. There is too much of a desire to get back to normal, everyone is hell-bent on achieving that (including me).

All of that and also the society we all live too, including the pointless jobs most of us do too!

Whilst I think this should reset a lot of what we do and how we do it, I don't think it will. There is too much of a desire to get back to normal, everyone is hell-bent on achieving that (including me).

As you say, it would great if we collectively (I'm using that word too much...) have a rethink of what we're about and how we go about things. But we won't, of course. Enough of us are concerned about when we can next get a supermarket delivery (not bothered) or haircut (yes, am bothered).

Back
Top Bottom