Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

while I'm very frustrated with the clubs decisions it's a bit rich of United and City fans saying their clubs are "acting like big clubs" or "acting with class over non furloughing" City have the blood money of Abu Dabhi they have a a turnover of half a billion. they can afford to throw money away!

Equally United have the most money in the world cause they were good at the right time for 20 years! they have fans in Singapore, China , South Africa and everywhere else in the world pumping money into their club. they have huge money and it's nothing for them to pay their staff.

Fans of these clubs acting like their club is showing "class" cause this amount of money makes no bloody difference to them is pathetic.

Again, we shouldn't be doing it, but let's not pretend it's the ultimate selfless deed. it' taking advantage of our and initially Liverpool's bad press.

The transfers to be done would the firesales from clubs going out of business around, with administrators selling the assets of the business. The market will be depressed as the supply will outstrip demand and those left standing will legitimately be walking wounded with cash reserves probably gone (and all forms of revenue reduced from matchday, commercial and TV). These buying clubs will also have to dispose of their own players however before they can buy in new, so unless they have contracts running out on players they don't wish to renew eg Vertogen then there really will be limited movement.

It will be interesting on the strategy of clubs with huge playing staff, say like Chelsea who have +50 players out on loan, this could be a massive burden on the wage bill, but where clubs have gone smack or about to go smack they could sell their assets and in return take on an entire team of loanees???
If enough clubs do go under (hate that thought) we could be seeing the PL scrapped and going back to Div 1, 2 etc. Just a thought.

If enough clubs do go under (hate that thought) we could be seeing the PL scrapped and going back to Div 1, 2 etc. Just a thought.
It's not an unreasonable probability that entire Leagues could be wiped out down the pyramid, even this will ripple up to the Championship and PL, entirely possible that the pyramid could be shrunk as a consequence. (all this is more a doomsday scenario based on no football for a year I think).

This is true and also immaterial. His wealth will recover rather quickly (less than 2 years) and his liquidity is more than plenty to cover the club in the meantime.
How can you possibly expect him to live on just a few billion? Be reasonable....

It's not an unreasonable probability that entire Leagues could be wiped out down the pyramid, even this will ripple up to the Championship and PL, entirely possible that the pyramid could be shrunk as a consequence. (all this is more a doomsday scenario based on no football for a year I think).
I agree and that is very worrying. Millwall have furloughed all playing staff although topping up to 100%. That presumably means they cannot work and if they do not train then the club cannot say anything. I cannot see the difference between the staff at the Spurs shop being Furloughed and staff at Top Shop. In the 1980's I worked with someone who worked for Spurs as well on match days. He could have afforded to lose this part time money and mainly did it for the perks of being able to watch the matches for free.
Bury went under last year and how many will follow. The Premier league will have to help out and the other clubs refusing Government help will find it more difficult. If not we will see owners of the clubs in the lower leagues selling their grounds for Housing and going out of business.

Still not happy we did this but defend our right to do it.

However, until this is all over, I’ll keep an open mind. Let’s see how many clubs either go bust, sack staff or furlough staff in the coming weeks and months.

If it’s still just us, the farmers and the horse punchers, then it’s a horrible decision. If there’s more, it could become to be seen as extremely prescient.

Only time will tell.

No it should apply to clubs whose income and highest earners do not pass a certain threshold. What that threshold is is up for debate.
Just how does that work exactly?

Palace pay Benteke £120k pw, Mayer £125pw and Zaha £130pw. Their wage bill, however, is less than half ours though and their revenue is only 12th highest in the league but ours is more than 3 times the size of theirs. Their wage to revenue ratio is nearly 80%!! They are owned by TWO billionaires and a Multimillinare.

You can look at every single PL club (Championship too) and the ownership status, along with revenue and wages is the same. If everyone is really serious about their morality then football should just cease to trade right now.

The bottom line is Sport is a business and they are run as such, even governing bodies and associations.
Unfortunately, I think you have hit the nail on the head with this statement. Lots of us remember when this wasn't the case but with the advent of agents, tv, advertising etc, it's changed beyond recognition.
It's extremely difficult to see the the sport and the team you love embracing this extreme capitalist culture but this is the way in which the whole world is now traveling. Lewis. Levy, ENIC.....they're symptomatic of the current climate as are the owners of City, Chelsea and others. In order to get back to enjoying the beautiful game, I for one, have had to put aside my personal feelings and moral compass. Otherwise the whole footballing world would make me sick to my stomach. This crisis has put a microscope on the game and revealed the true nature of the business. However, again, in my personal opinion, Homo Sapiens are natures greatest evolutionary mistake and disregarding football and the present crisis, there won't be any civilisation or even a habitable planet in 50 years. Sad but inevitable.

I agree and that is very worrying. Millwall have furloughed all playing staff although topping up to 100%. That presumably means they cannot work and if they do not train then the club cannot say anything. I cannot see the difference between the staff at the Spurs shop being Furloughed and staff at Top Shop. In the 1980's I worked with someone who worked for Spurs as well on match days. He could have afforded to lose this part time money and mainly did it for the perks of being able to watch the matches for free.
Bury went under last year and how many will follow. The Premier league will have to help out and the other clubs refusing Government help will find it more difficult. If not we will see owners of the clubs in the lower leagues selling their grounds for Housing and going out of business.
It's a fucking scary thought, but it lower down the league that is really worrying, many of those clubs owners you get the feeling will only be to pleased if they get the excuse to redevelop the ground into a retail park or some such.

The furlough scheme isn't a loophole for fucksake.

So just who should receive furlough scheme fella? Are employees of a football club any different to a reporter at a Newspaper, a Shopfloor worker in a car plant, a Hotel Cleaner, a Hotel receptionist an Airline pilot or steward or a member of ground staff? Maybe they are different to the chef in the cafes, bars & restaurants.

What makes Sue who works in the Spurs shop so different to Jane in Debenhams?
Bigger tits!

Unfortunately, I think you have hit the nail on the head with this statement. Lots of us remember when this wasn't the case but with the advent of agents, tv, advertising etc, it's changed beyond recognition.
It's extremely difficult to see the the sport and the team you love embracing this extreme capitalist culture but this is the way in which the whole world is now traveling. Lewis. Levy, ENIC.....they're symptomatic of the current climate as are the owners of City, Chelsea and others. In order to get back to enjoying the beautiful game, I for one, have had to put aside my personal feelings and moral compass. Otherwise the whole footballing world would make me sick to my stomach. This crisis has put a microscope on the game and revealed the true nature of the business. However, again, in my personal opinion, Homo Sapiens are natures greatest evolutionary mistake and disregarding football and the present crisis, there won't be any civilisation or even a habitable planet in 50 years. Sad but inevitable.
The thing is it's been a business for about +£130 years. The only thing that's changed is the ownership is more globally diverse. Were it not for the fact that football owners in the mid to late 1800's were actually all some of the richest men on the planet (industrialists, Mill owners supplying 90% of the worlds cloth, Pit & Steel bosses) account of Queen Victoria's Empire pillaging, plundering and enslaving so much of the Worlds resources.

With the profit we made from last years champions league alone we should be able to pay full time and part time staff. And if we need to sell a player to balance the books so be it.
Hopefully you're right. But a change in the structure of English football might not be such a bad thing. I for one am bored with seeing the same teams topping the league year after year. It was so refreshing to see Spurs and Leicester battling it out a few years ago. Real competitive sports. Not money playing money.

Hopefully you're right. But a change in the structure of English football might not be such a bad thing. I for one am bored with seeing the same teams topping the league year after year. It was so refreshing to see Spurs and Leicester battling it out a few years ago. Real competitive sports. Not money playing money.
The only thing that might reset things in the future would be to implement a wage cap but the cynic in me only knows that this will open other avenues to navigate around it and will only probably help the larger clubs anyway. e.g. City's owners own so many other businesses that they could set up individual sponsorship deals directly with the player pushing up their extracurricular earnings away from playing football.

I think a lot less people would have an issue with this if ENIC topped off the staff wages with the additional 20%. I know some are against accepting any taxpaper income, but for me its the fact that the club won't make the staff whole that bothers me personally.

I might be wrong but isn’t it 80% because 20% tax isn’t included? So take home pay would be unaffected as it’s always 80% of overall wages.

He must have moved. Guess all that bonus money been invested in a bigger property.

His place before I would not describe as an “estate”.
The thing is it's been a business for about +£130 years. The only thing that's changed is the ownership is more globally diverse. Were it not for the fact that football owners in the mid to late 1800's were actually all some of the richest men on the planet (industrialists, Mill owners supplying 90% of the worlds cloth, Pit & Steel bosses) account of Queen Victoria's Empire pillaging, plundering and enslaving so much of the Worlds resources.
Makes one ashamed to be British. My sister has written a book about the damage done by the empire to the globe. It's an excruciatingly embarrassing read.

The only thing that might reset things in the future would be to implement a wage cap but the cynic in me only knows that this will open other avenues to navigate around it and will only probably help the larger clubs anyway. e.g. City's owners own so many other businesses that they could set up individual sponsorship deals directly with the player pushing up their extracurricular earnings away from playing football.
Even the NFL has a wage cap. It's not beyond reason that a system could be worked out and implemented.

Back
Top Bottom