Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The seasons I spent looking up at the table dreaming of the Europa league from a draughty, poor facilities shelf. Now we have had a top six place and finish above the gooners for some years. Regular Champions league football and the England captain playing for us. An amazing stadium and training facilities. All with Levy in charge.
My thanks are to Levy not to the doom and gloom merchants. Now we are placed to kick on to the next level.
How about the times when we used to win trophies?

195O - 2000

League Campuons ×2
FA Cup ×6
League Cup × 3
Uefa Cup (Europa League) ×2
European Cup winners cup ×1
Charity Sheild (Jose counts them) ×4 outright

First team to do the double since the war. First British team to win a major European Trophy.

2000 - 2020

1 fucking Carling Cup

Or how about the days we used to break transfer records or excite our fans with signings like Greaves, Gazza, Ossie and Ricky, Lineker, Ginola, Klinsmann

But we should all be grateful because we have a draught proof stadium and an England captain who's hinting he may have to move elsewhere to fulfill his ambition.

Fuck off mate.

2000 - 2020

1 fucking Carling Cup
Yet......

So, being respectful to an inferior keeper is more important than playing your strongest line up in an FA cup semi final.
What a shame Man Utd didn't feel that way and instead played De Gea.
Pochettino himself played down the relevence of the FA cup in his pre match interview....
In fact, there was a lot of talk afterwards that his downplaying of the match had a negative impact on the whole team
Yep. Poch should have played his strongest team in the Semi against United.
He was cunt for playing Vorm instead of Hugo. A right fucking cunt.
Said it then and I'll say it now. Cun Cunt Cunt.

Maybe the manager, and not the chairman cost us trophies after all

:mourear:

Yep all of trophies that Chelsea won were nothing to do with Abramovich and all down to managers and almost every Spurs manager under Enic failing to win is their fault and not Enics.
Levy didn’t play Vorm.
Why are you talking about Chelsea?

We had the squad to beat Utd in the semi.....we had hammered them 3-0 and 2-0 in the PL, either side of that semi final.
But you’re going to blame the chairman for Poch not picking his strongest side?

What an irrelevant post you made. Utterly pointless to the fact John calls Poch a cunt for playing down the FA Cup tie and thus having a negative effect on the team and picking a weakened side, then, like you, tries to blame ENIC for lack of trophies.

Even an agenda driven idiot knows that makes fuck all sense.

Levy didn’t play Vorm.
Why are you talking about Chelsea?

We had the squad to beat Utd in the semi.....we had hammered them 3-0 and 2-0 in the PL, either side of that semi final.
But you’re going to blame the chairman for Poch not picking his strongest side?

What an irrelevant post you made. Utterly pointless to the fact John calls Poch a cunt for playing down the FA Cup tie and thus having a negative effect on the team and picking a weakened side, then, like you, tries to blame ENIC for lack of trophies.

Even an agenda driven idiot knows that makes fuck all sense.

I agree I was just doing a you and completely misrepresenting the point being made.

Poch definitely fucked a couple of semis but still deserved to be backed by the chairman and wasn't if he was in key moments we had a better chance.

I agree I was just doing a you and completely misrepresenting the point being made.

Poch definitely fucked a couple of semis but still deserved to be backed by the chairman and wasn't if he was in key moments we had a better chance.
But I didn’t misrepresent the point being made.
He made the point that ENIC was the reason for lack of trophies despite on several occasions already blaming Poch for the domestics.

But I didn’t misrepresent the point being made.
He made the point that ENIC was the reason for lack of trophies despite on several occasions already blaming Poch for the domestics.

I think it's fair to say Poch made some strange decisions in a couple of semis but to lay nearly two decades with only one league Cup at Poch's door is illogical.

Yet......

Maybe the manager, and not the chairman cost us trophies after all

:mourear:
This is a great post.

Of course. Anyone can blame a manager for individual performances or team selections. Including yours truly.

When you start blaming 10 different managers for 20 years of an empty trophy cabinet I think your true colours start shining through.

Oh, and thanks for proving you're accusations that I think Poch is above criticism are completely groundless.

egg-face-flickr.jpg

Like I always said, when it comes to managers, chairmen and owners, I'll criticise and praise wherever it's deserved

I think it's fair to say Poch made some strange decisions in a couple of semis but to lay nearly two decades with only one league Cup at Poch's door is illogical.
I’m my view people are judging the whole two decades thing with the mindset that we have been at this stage for two decades.

We haven’t. We were relegation fodder when ENIC arrived, and what I see as totally illogical is that someone can blame Levy for losing a final to Blackburn after hammering Chelsea in the semi in 2001.

Then there was a whole load of transition and steady improvement.
Within 5 years we were back in Europe and I think people forget how massive that was.
Already under Jol we were catching Woolwich, and finished 1pt behind them and that was only because Mendes goal was cheated off us at OT, then Lasagne gate.

2008 we won a trophy, then call it what you want, but Berbatov refused to come on as a sub and was sold the next season, as was Keane.
Then it went to shit for 8 games, then Arry took us to the CL.

From 14th to 4th within a decade.
No it’s not a top 4 trophy, but the improvements were being made and it was under Redknapp we lost a semi to Pompey and a final to Utd.
That is not on the owners.

What IS on Levy was the pathetic sacking of Redknapp for the lifeless AVB.
Now let me remind you.....the vast majority of the fan base absolutely LAUDED that decision.
You cannot then slag him off if you was all over it at the time.

I never advocated Redknapps sacking and can find you loads of posts where I state u equivocally that he set us back five years with decision.
That’s on Levy. But if you wanted Arry out, and AVB in, you’ve got no right beating this drum.

Thankfully we put that right with Poch, and like Jol and Redknapp before him, he continued the cycle of improvement, yet fell short on silverware.
Chelsea final, Utd semi, Leicester title challenge flop, and CL final, plus numerous domestic early exists at the hands of crap.
He had the squad to win a Carabou or FA cup and if Leicester could win a PL, then we should have because we were better in every department other than mentally.
That is not on the chairman.

You can talk about strikers but Poch had three.

So here we are. We will see how Jose gets to build his team, and whether he fails or not only time will tell, as it will who’s to blame.

This is a great post.

Of course. Anyone can blame a manager for individual performances or team selections. Including yours truly.

When you start blaming 10 different managers for 20 years of an empty trophy cabinet I think your true colours start shining through.

Oh, and thanks for proving you're accusations that I think Poch is above criticism are completely groundless.

egg-face-flickr.jpg

Like I always said, when it comes to managers, chairmen and owners, I'll criticise and praise wherever it's deserved
See above

I’m my view people are judging the whole two decades thing with the mindset that we have been at this stage for two decades.

We haven’t. We were relegation fodder when ENIC arrived, and what I see as totally illogical is that someone can blame Levy for losing a final to Blackburn after hammering Chelsea in the semi in 2001.

Then there was a whole load of transition and steady improvement.
Within 5 years we were back in Europe and I think people forget how massive that was.
Already under Jol we were catching Woolwich, and finished 1pt behind them and that was only because Mendes goal was cheated off us at OT, then Lasagne gate.

2008 we won a trophy, then call it what you want, but Berbatov refused to come on as a sub and was sold the next season, as was Keane.
Then it went to shit for 8 games, then Arry took us to the CL.

From 14th to 4th within a decade.
No it’s not a top 4 trophy, but the improvements were being made and it was under Redknapp we lost a semi to Pompey and a final to Utd.
That is not on the owners.

What IS on Levy was the pathetic sacking of Redknapp for the lifeless AVB.
Now let me remind you.....the vast majority of the fan base absolutely LAUDED that decision.
You cannot then slag him off if you was all over it at the time.

I never advocated Redknapps sacking and can find you loads of posts where I state u equivocally that he set us back five years with decision.
That’s on Levy. But if you wanted Arry out, and AVB in, you’ve got no right beating this drum.

Thankfully we put that right with Poch, and like Jol and Redknapp before him, he continued the cycle of improvement, yet fell short on silverware.
Chelsea final, Utd semi, Leicester title challenge flop, and CL final, plus numerous domestic early exists at the hands of crap.
He had the squad to win a Carabou or FA cup and if Leicester could win a PL, then we should have because we were better in every department other than mentally.
That is not on the chairman.

You can talk about strikers but Poch had three.

So here we are. We will see how Jose gets to build his team, and whether he fails or not only time will tell, as it will who’s to blame.

Some things I agree on there Sammy but I think you underestimate exactly how much Poch improved us , also hate the 14th to 4th argument, we finished 6th last season forca start and it's a bit like saying Conte won the title with the 10th best team in England with Chelsea we were never a club that should have accepted 14th , levy has done ok , well even but he will never take the necessary risk to go the whole hog a winning mentality comes from the top and runs through the club like a stick of rock we will never have that under Enic

The seasons I spent looking up at the table dreaming of the Europa league from a draughty, poor facilities shelf. Now we have had a top six place and finish above the gooners for some years. Regular Champions league football and the England captain playing for us. An amazing stadium and training facilities. All with Levy in charge.
My thanks are to Levy not to the doom and gloom merchants. Now we are placed to kick on to the next level.
Fuck off chav/Gooner troll
or my apologies if your insane dude.

Some things I agree on there Sammy but I think you underestimate exactly how much Poch improved us , also hate the 14th to 4th argument, we finished 6th last season forca start and it's a bit like saying Conte won the title with the 10th best team in England with Chelsea we were never a club that should have accepted 14th , levy has done ok , well even but he will never take the necessary risk to go the whole hog a winning mentality comes from the top and runs through the club like a stick of rock we will never have that under Enic

The worst part of the 14th to 6th (if anyone is saying 4th they truly are an idiot) is that people say that as though we were 14th at the end of the season and the usual gap that exists between 14th and 6th in the table at the end of the year.

At the time we were in 14th we were 3 points out of 6th. We won the next game and were in 6th so it wasn't close to some mammoth gap that we made up that the apologists like to make it out to be.

Poch improved us with the team levy bought him though.
People acting like Jan, Eriksen, Toby, Lloris, Wanyama, Dembele and Kane were all nothing mid table players before Poch came.

From 2010 -2020 our finishes have been:
4th
5th/CL quarters
4th
5th
6th
5th Lost Carabou Final
3rd Lost FA semi
2nd
3rd Lost FA semi
4th Lost Carabou semi/CL final
6th

Poch minimally improved our league standings from 4th/5th to 3rd/4th overall, and did fuck all in the cups other than lose them.

The worst part of the 14th to 6th (if anyone is saying 4th they truly are an idiot) is that people say that as though we were 14th at the end of the season and the usual gap that exists between 14th and 6th in the table at the end of the year.

At the time we were in 14th we were 3 points out of 6th. We won the next game and were in 6th so it wasn't close to some mammoth gap that we made up that the apologists like to make it out to be.
I was talking about 14th when ENIC took over.
Who’s the idiot?
You can’t work that out from the post I made?

From 2010 -2020 our finishes have been:
4th Lost Carabou final
5th/CL quarters
4th
5th
6th
5th Lost Carabou Final
3rd Lost FA semi
2nd
3rd Lost FA semi
4th Lost Carabou semi/CL final
6th

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

In the middle four years of Poch's reign we secured 304 points, had a cumulative PL goal difference of +160, were the last remaining title chaser twice, qualified for the Champions League in all four seasons and defeated Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund (three times), Inter Milan, and Manchester City in the CL and made the CL Final.

In the best four-year non-Poch stretch under ENIC (2009-10 through 2012-13, spanning 'Arry and AVB) we secured 273 points (eight fewer per year), had a cumulative PL goal difference of +80 (half!, 20 lower per year), were never anywhere near the title race, qualified for the Champions League once (though really twice due to the Chelsea bullshit), and beat Inter and AC Milan, best finishing with a curbstomping by Real Madrid in the last 16.

It's not even close. The improvement under Poch was MASSIVE.

Now, was that improvement baked in by a squad sprinkled with superstar talents? Well, the pick of litter are still here, in their primes, under one of the most decorated managers in history. Let's see!

Back
Top Bottom