Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
What is it with all the people arguing & saying money shouldn't be spent unwisely. Surely that's a given. Who is arguing desperately for levy to spend really really unwisely?!
Next up, let's argue why kane shouldn't be let go on a free in january.
Why are you advocating letting Kane go on a free?

Last edited:
As was pointed out in the ENIC thread earler, in these troubled times, surely it's only fair to have another poll regarding the status of the man pulling the strings at the top.
Along with a distastrous run of form we have players running down their contracts, and players performing like they'd rather be anywhere else but NWHL.
Levy / ENIC. After all, they've been here for almost two decades now. The 2 most barren decades in terms of silverware in our history.
Should he be afforded more time to get it right? Or is it tlme to sell up and pass the reins on to others
Unlike the managerial situation, we don't have a knowledgeable shortlist to choose from, of course.
But if Levy is the die hard fan everybody makes out, surely we can expect that his screening of any buyer would be exemplary

I'd be very careful what you wish for. Even if by some miracle we got an Arab state to buy us for 1bn + and then spend another 1bn+ to catch up City, the dicking around City and PSG have done make us taking the piss with FFP etc that bit harder, and no other owner, no matter how rich, if they play by FFP, will make us much more financially competitive than we are heading for now organically under Levy's stewardship, and we could end up with someone much worse. The Glazers aren't exactly loved or have managed to improve what Utd fans are watching of late (despite spending a billion since SAF fucked off), Villa were above us when Randy Learner took over, they've been down since.

Decent managers pop up all the time, Abramovich goes through them like water. Decent chairman who know this business and who have £2000,000,000 behind the sofa are a bit rarer.

This stat is massively skewed by the £130m received for Coutinho....

Liverpool have been able to regularly add half a dozen £40-£75m players in the past 18mnts.

We haven’t.
Of course it's been skewed by the sale of coutinho. But their transfer policy is actually similar to ours.
Before the coutinho sale, under Klopp they had signed 3 players with deals of 30 million or above (Mane, Salah and Oxlade Chamberlain). I'll go as far as saying no coutinho sale meant no Van Dijk, no keita and possibly no Fabinho. Hell, at the beginning of the 2018 summer window, klopps net was 700k. (Which included Keita cos they paid for him early)

They splashed that summer, yeah. And then spent fuck all this, (followed by presses in which Klopp said a lot of the same things pochettino had the previous year...happy with his squad, better to not lose anyone and so on)

in my opinion, they spent next to nothing this summer , despite the champions league windfall, because they spent it all (this summer's budget)the previous year. And no significant sales meant nothing significant to spend.

But similar dealings for us is , in the eyes of some of our support, Levy not backing the manager, whereas Klopps been backed to the hilt. IMO that's horseshit.

Backed with his FIRST CHOICES for the most part, and they've been past the £30m player mark more than a few times, when that was a lot money...and they'd pay the wages.

The top top table is a little too rich for ENIC, it's ridiculously plain to see.

We have to be patient, we are literally 7-8 games back in N17 and barely months back at the new gaff, we need to let the club settle into its newfound status as a respectable, bigger club. The new stadium has come at the worst time but also at a great time as well. I am sure that another year or two of playing at WHL would have secured us silverware but the timing was out of our control. If we can continue to tread water until we have the new guys integrated with the squad and then we can go and grow from there.

In my eyes Levy has done all we can expect of him. People say he makes profits a priority but I ask you all this, why do you all go to work? Why do you expect Levy to not do what he needs to to a certain extent to look after his family as best he can whilst building a strong football team?

As he has said in the past, he's a custodian of the club, it's imperative the finances get looked after and if Pochettino can't stomach that our numbers must always be in the black then he's the one being out of line not the chairman. Yes there's a balance and a tipping point on what's fair and what's greedy but we should always work within our means. That won't change and shouldn't change regardless of the insanity of other owners and clubs.

Not arguing with any of that. I voted Levy in as I get what he’s building.

We are a brand and a business first and foremost now.

As a famous manager once said. There used to be a football club over there. Not any more.

What we are seeing now is a business with unhappy soon to be out of contract millionaire employees whose minds are clearly not on the job in hand. Their first thought is clearly going to be their next job and payday. All of them will be talking to their agents to negotiate best deals.
Fuck knows what the dressing room is like. Remember Danny’s head being turned by walker leaving?

And another older crowd who we can’t move on. As we ask for too much money.

How we have got to this point is as much Levy’s fault putting crazy prices on players so no one buys them as anything else.
£80m for Eriksen with one season left on his contract. That’s not good business sense. Just stupid. Proved by the fact no one bought him.

Wanyama can hardly run. Just move him on. Surely his wages are better part of £2m a year. Instead allegedly haggle for extra £2m and miss out on selling him....... he’s not a top 4 player anymore that’s for sure.

We really needed a clear out this summer.
Next summer is going to be nuts. Remember the last time we decided to recruit 7 players at once.

And who is in charge of scouting these players as well? They have a lot to answer for. Our scouting seems to be pretty shit.

in my opinion, they spent next to nothing this summer , despite the champions league windfall, because they spent it all (this summer's budget)the previous year. And no significant sales meant nothing significant
No , they are champions of Europe, we never reached any pinnacle . Our "project" which has typically imploded only will deliver top 4 at best. They dont just buy prospects but many that can instantly improve their first 11.
If they had failed then they would have spent . Their league form shows that they are far superior to us in overall player quality , a fan base that has expectations and their model
is driven for more than top 4.
We achieved nothing and a self imposed transfer ban , rebuilding and not evolving .

The judgement over our spend shouldn’t be about the last 5 -10 years, you cannot engage in such infrastructure expenditure and expect competitive market spend. The judgement should be on the next 5-10 years now that those commitments have been completed and subsequent debt restructured.

I'm assuming you would at least agree that 1 league cup to show for 19 years of ownership is a shocking statistic for a club with the history and pedigree of Tottenham Hotspur.
(although you're younger than me you must be aware of our history)

So, a simple question. Who do you hold primarily responsible.

a) Pocchetino and his long list of Predecessors

b) The Owners

c) Goblins
D) the previous owner, whose embarrassing public behaviour left us an extremely unattractive proposition to any player of note(ie gives player contract with get out clause, appears on tv slagging off said player when clause is exercised. Signs player for 6 million, appears on tv telling everyone said player is knackered and he bought a pup, and who left us arguably 10 years behind the competition. Who hired his services to us as chairman via another company, taking not only his salary, but a licensing fee and dividends out of the club)

E) the FA and the premier league,(and, frankly, FIFA/UEFA) for not introducing a fit and proper person ownership test that is fit for purpose, preventing the likes of Abramovich and citehs(and PSG) owners from financially doping, completely skewing the markets away from well run clubs like Man Utd and Woolwich (at the time), us and the dippers(now)

Cos if anyone that doesn't think those last two dont play a part is a naive fool.

And before anyone thinks I'm some blind levy does no wrong merchant, I ain't.

Somethings that have been done on his watch are fucking outrageous.
The way the Jol sacking was handled.
There is something that I cant repeat here due to who told me, but is an utter disgrace(yeah, I know)
Stratford, fucking outrageous.

No , they are champions of Europe, we never reached any pinnacle . Our "project" which has typically imploded only will deliver top 4 at best. They dont just buy prospects but many that can instantly improve their first 11.
If they had failed then they would have spent . Their league form shows that they are far superior to us in overall player quality , a fan base that has expectations and their model
is driven for more than top 4.
We achieved nothing and a self imposed transfer ban , rebuilding and not evolving .
They are better than us. Never said otherwise.
But it's not cos we ain't spent, its cos they spent it better

They are better than us. Never said otherwise.
But it's not cos we ain't spent, its cos they spent it better
You have to take in their wage structure ( their overall outlay is far greater) which means they will 75% of the time spend better than us , as its less of a gamble.
They can add first class improvements instantly, we rarely do.

Of course it's been skewed by the sale of coutinho. But their transfer policy is actually similar to ours.
Before the coutinho sale, under Klopp they had signed 3 players with deals of 30 million or above (Mane, Salah and Oxlade Chamberlain). I'll go as far as saying no coutinho sale meant no Van Dijk, no keita and possibly no Fabinho. Hell, at the beginning of the 2018 summer window, klopps net was 700k. (Which included Keita cos they paid for him early)

They splashed that summer, yeah. And then spent fuck all this, (followed by presses in which Klopp said a lot of the same things pochettino had the previous year...happy with his squad, better to not lose anyone and so on)

in my opinion, they spent next to nothing this summer , despite the champions league windfall, because they spent it all (this summer's budget)the previous year. And no significant sales meant nothing significant to spend.

But similar dealings for us is , in the eyes of some of our support, Levy not backing the manager, whereas Klopps been backed to the hilt. IMO that's horseshit.

I was just looking at some of their business..... jeez, they are even better than us at selling squad filler for big money! Now I understand how they’ve generated so much cash.....

Bought Solanke for £6m sold him for £19m!
Sakho sold for £26m
Ings sold for £18m
Allen, Ibe and Ward went for a combo £40m!
Benteke sold for £26m

Levy has a new benchmark.....

:levywtf:

I was just looking at some of their business..... jeez, they are even better than us at selling squad filler for big money! Now I understand how they’ve generated so much cash.....

Sakho sold for £26m
Ings sold for £18m
Benteke sold for £26m

That's what I'm saying.

And when you think about it, they had to rebuild after a shite owner as well. But were in a generally better position than us when they started that process.

You have to take in their wage structure ( their overall outlay is far greater) which means they will 75% of the time spend better than us , as its less of a gamble.
They can add first class improvements instantly, we rarely do.
I completely agree..but they have still spent more wisely than us and scout better (Salah wasnt considered top class over here. And most people, if they were honest, thought they got bent over with Van Dijk ( who is allegedly on less than alderweireld turned down with us)

Again, all I'm arguing is that we have spent plenty , and pochettino has been backed. We have just not spent it as well, and that's on Levy, Mitchell/Hitchen, McDermott and Pochetinno as a group. Not on Pochettino alone, and not on Levy alone

Sakho sold for £26m
Ings sold for £18m
Benteke sold for £26m

Levy's been awful with his selling the last few years. He has hindered us with unwanted players & lost us money in tranfer fees & wages too. But his fans still go on about you got levy'd. That has made our net spend a lot worse than it should be. If we were getting the bloated fees Liverpool were managing to get in sales, then we would be doing a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom