Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like most of what you said but I don't think Harry Redknapp would have taken us any further than he did. Pochettino's arrival and the ideas he brought with him were as vital to our development as a club as Harry's were he took over from Ramos and Martin Jol. All four managers made a mark and did what we needed them to do at the time (I don't believe Jol was capable of beating Woolwich 5-1 and winning the Carling Cup) but they were all flawed and had to be replaced for us to move on.
Definitely value your point, but it wasn’t so much replacing Redknapp that was the problem, it was choosing a manager that had just a year earlier lost the dressing room at Chelsea, had them playing shit toilet football and got sacked.

I maintain that Poch was the right appointment and it was vital AVB was sacked.
At the start I doubted Poch, he proved this doubts wrong for a period, but his short comings with evolving tactically to keep his team competitive have been laid bare.

This squad should be peaking now, not falling apart.

We’ve reached that time again where the manager has done his job, run his course, thanks and goodbye.
It’s already been soured and everything feels poisonous. He has to go....there’s nothing to salvage, and no turning it around.

That might very well make sense when you're at the start of the season and you're playing on multiple fronts, but if you get to the final stages of a competition, it's obvious that you should be pushing to win it. It wasn't Levy who told Poch to start Vorm in the FA Cup semi against Manure, that's pretty much certain. Our coach's tactics and selection cost us then. It also wasn't Levy who got schooled by Conte in the League Cup final in 2015... The team we fielded then was arguably just as good as the one Chelsea had.

get you facts right, Mourinho was in charge in 2015 and Chelsea won the league by a country mile that year.

This team was never quite good enough to win regular silverware, I’ve seen enough of these players inside and outside of Spurs to realise that. Pochettino’s biggest crime is making people believe that they are owed success on a relatively tiny budget compared to the rest.

This was another interesting point you raised.

Did you write to the club and complain when they trousered £50,000,000 of Abu Dhabi blood money for Kyle Walker?
Or using nike who are well known for there awful child & adult slave labour sweatshop past. Or as he types on his smart phone made via slave labour whilst wearing clothes from sweatshops. Or eats food made by exploited workers from poor places.

get you facts right, Mourinho was in charge in 2015 and Chelsea won the league by a country mile that year.

This team was never quite good enough to win regular silverware, I’ve seen enough of these players inside and outside of Spurs to realise that. Pochettino’s biggest crime is making people believe that they are owed success on a relatively tiny budget compared to the rest.

Yes, it was Mourinho back then, my memory failed me. I will rephrase then: "Pochettino got schooled by Mourinho in a game we could have won". Better?

If any Spurs fan does just one thing today, they should read Lee's post above, Then pause and reflect.

Absolutely superb

It's an interesting post and well thought out/ written I'll give you and LeeMcl that but just because we are a sensible club it doesn't not make us an unambitious one. Let's look at the teams all around us and compare our model to theirs-

Man City - Monopoly money, far too unfair to compare ENIC and our spending within our means model to them as they are a rarity.

Liverpool - huge club, made serious money in sales, including players like Solanke etc (£20m!), did their money and actually only spent £1.4m this summer. If that was us we would have got battered in the media for doing so.

Man U - on a different level to us financially, that will remain the case so they will constantly have money and Moreno importantly they can spend heavy whilst staying within their means

Leicester - made excellent money in player sales (Kante, Maguire, Mahrez, Drinkwater) and reinvested well. Also have/ had an owner who spent beyond their means at the time, they just got fortunate that some of those signings gave them a solid return on investment.

Chelsea - Russian billionaire boys club, say no more.

Spurs do and will always spend within their means, it's the right way to go an drew whilst the daggers will be out for those making that kind of decision, simp,y put it's too reckless for us to lay £300m-£400m down on the signings required to take that next step. The reasons behind ENIC doing so are open to debate and that's justified but we should always lookmto do things properly and that is through not being reckless with spending more than we as a club make. We have surplus, that money hasn't andndoesnt get taken out in dividends and that helps safeguard us as we hopefully continue to grow.

I read somewhere that Everton are £100m in debt and that their wages outweigh their revenue streams and that teams like Barcelona need to find £125m from somewhere this year. Money isn't an endless pot, it soon catches up with teams and it looks like we won't be one of them if ajdnwhen that happens. The motivations behind it, as yourself and LeeMcl point out are interesting and worth noting but I am adamant that a club wanting sustainable growth and success over long periods should spend within their means. More emphasis on better scouting, better tactics, better academy focus, better relationships with clubs both domestically and overseas, better traditions and better nous in the market both when buying and when selling.

The club needs to be far braver when selling players at peak value instead of letting them decline. The likes of Dier, Wanyama, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Rose are wirthna pittance of what they have been during their time with us, we should have trusted ourselves more when selling at top whack instead of allowing a cash cow to turn stale. There are many ways to skin a cat but without a playboy chairman or owner, spending beyond your means simply isn't one of them, it leads to too much of a slippery slope.

Good post.

A question that I would ask is, if ENIC are only interested in profits, why would they not want a successful team ?

Yes, without a doubt, top 4 is a priority for them. But surely the winning of trophies regularly would increase the value of THFC, so why would they deliberately sabotage that ?

It's not hard to make a profit by being a PL club. There is so much money in the game all you have to do is keep your wage bill low and generate transfer funds by selling players. This has bee Enic's business plan and they have executed it masterfully.

Definitely value your point, but it wasn’t so much replacing Redknapp that was the problem, it was choosing a manager that had just a year earlier lost the dressing room at Chelsea, had them playing shit toilet football and got sacked.

I maintain that Poch was the right appointment and it was vital AVB was sacked.
At the start I doubted Poch, he proved this doubts wrong for a period, but his short comings with evolving tactically to keep his team competitive have been laid bare.

This squad should be peaking now, not falling apart.

We’ve reached that time again where the manager has done his job, run his course, thanks and goodbye.
It’s already been soured and everything feels poisonous. He has to go....there’s nothing to salvage, and no turning it around.
Apologies if you've said this in other threads but if Poch did go, who would you want to replace him?

Apologies if you've said this in other threads but if Poch did go, who would you want to replace him?

No worries, I’ve said a couple times I’d be more than happy to go with a Benitez and Hughton 1+2

Even if it’s Hughton now til the season ends.
Get some Tottenham back into this side, some love, some pride, some history, and then bring in the experience in the summer.

I didn’t like the idea of Benitez, but it’s grown on me, especially with Chris as his wingman.

The manager feels like he’s in it for himself now, and the chasm between him and the players is growing by the week.

Act now, and I’ll take mid table, with a plan.
But bumbling on like this and talking about a whole new squad and starting over from day one with this same set up, same tactics, same philosophy, same interviews same same same juts fills me with dread.

No worries, I’ve said a couple times I’d be more than happy to go with a Benitez and Hughton 1+2

Get some Tottenham back into this side, some love, some pride, some history, and then bring in the experience in the summer.

I didn’t like the idea of Benitez, but it’s grown on me, especially with Chris as his wingman.

The manager feels like he’s in it for himself now, and the chasm between him and the players is growing by the week.

But bumbling on like this and talking about a whole new squad and starting over from day one with this same set up, same tactics, same philosophy, same interviews same same same juts fills me with dread.
The football we're playing now isn't great but I can't see it improving under two safety first managers. I wouldn't mind Allegri as he's won stuff (even though Serie A is quite one sided) as he won with not a great Milan team and can be good tactically. A manager to look out for might be the Mönchengladbach manager if they don't turn out to be a flash in the plan. A lot of teams will be looking for the new Klopp.

Or Mourinho had better weaponry and he won. If that’s the case, didn’t Poch school him in the 5-3 on New Years?

I provided that example because it was a cup final. We had the opportunity to win a trophy and we didn't. I don't think we played that game to the best of our ability and I don't think we rose to the occasion. The 5-3 game wasn't one where we could have won a trophy. It brings back fond memories, but that's about it. I have failed to see the winning mentality in our domestic cup showings and this is something the coach is responsible for.

Eddie Howe could win a trophy and finish top 4 maybe

Not sold on Eddie Howe?

Hughton and Benítez?!

I’m being genuine and sincere when I post this:

Please get better.

Hughton and Benítez?!

I’m being genuine and sincere when I post this:

Please get better.

Two away points in 10 months
3-0 defeat to Brighton
7-2 home defeat

Yeah, backing Poch is making you look well smart. Twats like you always want names.

I could say Pullis, and I bet you couldn’t find a worse run of away defeats in his whole career as we have right now. You’ve got Poch on a pedestal....the man that lost to Colchester two weeks after saying we must win a trophy this season.

You must think we’re already in the Champo if this bloke is the best you can come up with.
He can’t even decide if someone in his plans or not within seven days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom