Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Good post.

A question that I would ask is, if ENIC are only interested in profits, why would they not want a successful team ?

Yes, without a doubt, top 4 is a priority for them. But surely the winning of trophies regularly would increase the value of THFC, so why would they deliberately sabotage that ?
The spending involved in rehabilitation is too high for them to consider and the profits wouldn't appear for a very long time. They are interested in short term gain. Which is why, if we don't finish in the top 6, I'm convinced that they will try to sell up.

Maybe we're got to the final despite pochettino, rather then because of him? Looking at the utterly dismal league results, the home loss to ajax, the 4-3 away loss to city, the poor group results...

Yeah I agree somewhat, but he still got us, Tottenham Hotspur to a CL final, something I dont anyone thought was possible.

The extra constant investment needed in the first 11 to compete with City/Chavs Scousers(wages double) outweighs any revenue gain if successful . Low risk strategy.
As long top 4 , stadium full , NFL , tv money is reasonable profit on low wage structure and low net spend .
Yes they would welcome success but its not a priority and their model is not trophies but revenue driven.
If the team continues to underperform they will panic and invest as a decade back to protect their brand.
Agree with almost everything you say except I don't see them investing. The profits would be so many years down the road and not guaranteed so I think they'll cut and run. Good thing too. Be glad to see the back of them.

Last edited:
Zero away points in 10 months
3-0 defeat to Brighton
7-2 home defeat

Yeah, backing Poch is making you look well smart. Twats like you always want names.

I could say Pullis, and I bet you couldn’t find a worse run of away defeats in his whole career as we have right now. You’ve got Poch on a pedestal....the man that lost to Colchester two weeks after saying we must win a trophy this season.

You must think we’re already in the Champo if this bloke is the best you can come up with.
He can’t even decide if someone in his plans or not within seven days.

Good shout, Pullis has won loads in his career.

I'd like us to be both. But who wouldn't,
What I don't like is the ethos of the club that's developed that views top 4 as success simply because it brings the riches of CL qualification. Profit means more than titles.
We used to hound Woolwich for this exact philosophy.
I'd like to see my club take a risk now and then. Take a chance instead of always balancing the books.
I'd like to see us be brave rather than trying to wing it through a season with 0 transfers.
In short, I agree with Poch
Going on historical precedent, we did take quite a chance. We invested more revenue in salaries, and were willing to hold on to star players with big wages even as their contracts ran down and we risked losing them for nothing. Why, because Poch convinced everyone of how close we are/were.

Pre-Poch, both Toby and Eriksen would have been sold when they had high value and that money reinvested in younger players with something to prove. Instead we retained them, betting that they could carry us over the line even if it meant losing tens of millions of pounds.

You simply refuse to acknowledge that - to you the only money spent/risked/invested is that money which you can splash on creating a tabloid headline in August. Significant value was invested and risked on this squad, backing Poch and showing faith in his team. And it failed...it got close, but it failed.

Should we have sold them and bought other players? Its debateable. But the fallacy that Levy hasn't backed Poch is ludicrous. He would have sold half this squad before Pochettino arrived rather than watch it spoil on the shelf as it seems to have. There's a good case to be made that the Levy ran the club before Pochettino arrived was superior.

3-0 defeat to Brighton
7-2 home defeat

Yeah, backing Poch is making you look well smart. Twats like you always want names.

I could say Pullis, and I bet you couldn’t find a worse run of away defeats in his whole career as we have right now. You’ve got Poch on a pedestal....the man that lost to Colchester two weeks after saying we must win a trophy this season.

You must think we’re already in the Champo if this bloke is the best you can come up with.
I don’t care for names - you could argue Benítez is still a big name, but neither he nor Hughton are progressive coaches (Rafa did a fab job at Newcastle btw and was extremely underrated at Liverpool - plus he’s a god in Valencia.)

My stance is Poch has overachieved compared to expectations in 5 years and he deserves a chance to rebuild this team - check my posts when I was saying to let go of Rose, Toby, Eriksen long before it became popular.

There’s a reason he’s considered elite by his peers despite being trophyless - it’s because ever since 1992 Spurs haven’t been in a position to be a regular force. He has brought us to the big boys table regularly. He has raised the status of our club in world football.

Familiarity has bred contempt amongst the players so yes he should be more aggressive in instigating changes but those players shouldn’t even be around to begin with, to potentially make the dressing room dynamics even worse. Unlike Paulinho, Adebayor, Lennon, Kaboul etc, a lot of these players have done great things for Poch so whilst it’s nice to say “fuck them off to the reserves” they will still be here every day with a big presence - it would be like having 4 or 5 Mesut Özil’s about the place.

I don’t care for names - you could argue Benítez is still a big name, but neither he nor Hughton are progressive coaches (Rafa did a fab job at Newcastle btw and was extremely underrated at Liverpool - plus he’s a god in Valencia.)

My stance is Poch has overachieved compared to expectations in 5 years and he deserves a chance to rebuild this team - check my posts when I was saying to let go of Rose, Toby, Eriksen long before it became popular.

There’s a reason he’s considered elite by his peers despite being trophyless - it’s because ever since 1992 Spurs haven’t been in a position to be a regular force. He has brought us to the big boys table regularly. He has raised the status of our club in world football.

Familiarity has bred contempt amongst the players so yes he should be more aggressive in instigating changes but those players shouldn’t even be around to begin with, to potentially make the dressing room dynamics even worse. Unlike Paulinho, Adebayor, Lennon, Kaboul etc, a lot of these players have done great things for Poch so whilst it’s nice to say “fuck them off to the reserves” they will still be here every day with a big presence - it would be like having 4 or 5 Mesut Özil’s about the place.

It says a lot about you that you think losing cup finals, winning nothing and going from 2nd to 4th is the work of an overachiever

Going on historical precedent, we did take quite a chance. We invested more revenue in salaries, and were willing to hold on to star players with big wages even as their contracts ran down and we risked losing them for nothing. Why, because Poch convinced everyone of how close we are/were.

Pre-Poch, both Toby and Eriksen would have been sold when they had high value and that money reinvested in younger players with something to prove. Instead we retained them, betting that they could carry us over the line even if it meant losing tens of millions of pounds.

You simply refuse to acknowledge that - to you the only money spent/risked/invested is that money which you can splash on creating a tabloid headline in August. Significant value was invested and risked on this squad, backing Poch and showing faith in his team. And it failed...it got close, but it failed.

Should we have sold them and bought other players? Its debateable. But the fallacy that Levy hasn't backed Poch is ludicrous. He would have sold half this squad before Pochettino arrived rather than watch it spoil on the shelf as it seems to have. There's a good case to be made that the Levy ran the club before Pochettino arrived was superior.

£29mil net spent before this past summer is “backing” now?!

ENIC are raking in way more money than ever before (at the time a record profit) and a large part of that is the increased profile of the club due to the performances that Pochettino has led.

Meanwhile Pep gets to spend entire nations miliary budget on his defence alone, Klopp gets aa world record keeper and CB, Woolwich still were able to spend over £100m despite everyone saying they were broke boys, Chelsea have been banned from transfers but Pulisic and Kovacic is £98mil this calendar year oh and Man Utd have a world record CB and broke the record for Pogba.

The problem is were we still a 5-6th place team with no prospect of CL then the pool of potential buyers/clubs that Toby and Eriksen wanted to go to would have been bigger. Toby got Roma, Eriksen got Man Utd and Rose got Watford.

We can only really now make big sales to 4/5 clubs, and they just weren’t interested in outlet players - translation they aren’t as good as everyone makes out as the group at its best was worth more than the sum of it’s parts.

That was the same window where we were prepared to pay £25m for Grealish but not £20m for Lo Celso, which he cost Betis after a loan deal that very summer.

Yes Levy is responsible but so is our scouting department/ decision maker when it comes to why we said no back then only to lump near on £55m-£60m not even 12 months later. If we had done so maybe we would have had the necessary funds to get one or two more in this summer as well.

Plenty of culprits for our present predicament it would seem

Shocking when you look back a few years

3-0 defeat to Brighton
7-2 home defeat

I suggested Harry until the end of the season but Benitez and Chrissy is a good call but I would even consider BFS now as nobody else agrees with me over Graham Potter at Brighton who made a cunt of Poch earlier as we got off lightly at 3-0

Plenty of culprits for our present predicament it would seem

Shocking when you look back a few years

The thing the club did do well is try and be proactive with certain signings. The likes of Sanchez, Foyth I thought made a lot of sense as a safeguard. The only issue is neither has really made the most of the chance which leaves us being forced into a reactive move somewhere.

Grealish I'm pretty sure was being signed as a potential Eriksen replacement and Winks was clearly fancied as a Dembele replacement, which to me is insane.

I would be open to selling Lloris, Aurier, Rose, Wanyama, Dier, Lamela and even though I really don't want to Lucas, purely because the manager clearly doesn't fancy him and I'm sure his value would be peak now and back to flatlining come a year or twos time. We hold onto too many so so players and when we lose important players and their replacements don't work out, we are left with a squad of so so players. We need to be far more ruthless with those who clearly have a ceiling and who we could get a couple of quid for so we can reinvest it wisely.

As it stands we need 5-6 players and with Poch having an expensive taste these days, I don't see anyone being signed for less than £30m in those areas, probably closer to £45m a piece. Can we really see the club dropping at least £180m-£250m on new blood without making anything back? Time to wheel and deal I feel an drew that means longing off a couple of fringe players if we get justified value for them.

No doubt Levy is a cunt, but the squad should be doing much better than it is.

That's down to Poch. He's not a magician, he's just not good enough. He should get out now so he can still fool a top team that he isn't a found out fraud.

I bet he’s never gone nearly a year taking 2pts from a possible 36 away from home
I wouldn't know and I'm not interesting in enough to check, one thing I do know though he hasn't taken a team 4 times into the champions league or got to the final of said competition.

Back
Top Bottom