Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

and the Palacios of that year was better than the Sandro of this year?

Id piss my pants laughing at you is what would happen....

Lennon was a tad better...I'll give you that.

However, our squad today is FAR stronger. Anyone who thinks were had a stronger squad in 09-10, is seriously not worth talking to..

I feel like Im alone in this thread.....and everyone else has turned into Arcspace.

Cut the hysterics. Lloris > Gomes. End of......if you think that means I HATE!!!!!!! Gomes, then thats you have sensitivity issues

Don't get too worked up by it, I'd suggest its a combination of people's reaction to your reaction to salmon implying he'd prefer the team which had Gomes in place of Lloris.

Basically, everyone is just going mental for no reason.

I also think there's a pinch of
:troll:

Don't feed the troll. Chill.

Any chance this thread could actually be about.... you know, Louis Van Gaal?

It sort of is, we've had several massive rants, a lot of claims of being superior, and a lot of completely random jibberish.

If that's not Louis Van Gaal, I don't know what is

cosmin-iftode_louis-van-gaal1.gif

My strongest side from then:

..........................................Gomes

Corluka..............Dawson............King.............BAE

Lennon..............Hudd..........Modric...........Bale

..........................Defoe................Crouch

Kranjcar
Kaboul
Pav
Alnwick
Jenas
Palacios
Bassong
Rose

My strongest side now:

........................................Lloris

Walker...........Vertonghen.............Vlad...................Rose

Lennon.............Sandro.................Dembele............Eriksen

...........................................Paulinho

.......................................Ade

Brad
Dawson
Naughton
Kaboul
Lamela
Soldado
Capoue
Siggy

:gallashmm:

Yes I do believe this squad, moreso the first XI is better than our current lot because; certain players, for all their shortcomings, worked better together (see the colour scheme). Now these are the nuances that people have referred to, so pay attention.

Any defence in the world is better with King in it..I'm going to take your petulant stance here and completely disregard the opinion of anyone who says different. Dawson complimented King well and, I think it's fair to say, Dawson was always better with King alongside, thus our centreback pairing then was better than any two individuals we could currently field because of King.

Is Corluka better than Walker? No, but did Corluka compliment Lennon more? Quite possibly so. Walker pushes up higher than Corluka ever did and in doing so give Lennon less space ahead of him on the wing to use his pace, Corluka would go as far as the halfway line and allow Lennon the rest of the field to terrorise the oppo leftback, and he did, these days I see lots of Walker and little of Lennon.

Similarly with the left wing, sure Bale at that time wasn't the player we sold, but he was still carving up the left wing with the pace and power that have made him such a formidable player, as good as Eriksen has been thus far, Bale was showing a lot more, even then, and he worked well with Benny. BAE was as assured as he has ever been, I still maintain he is a better tackler than Rose though he does divide opinion a lot.

I've replaced Palacios with Hudd but the essence was the same, patrol the midfield and pass to Modric, (this was more Palacios remit, Hudd would obviously allowed to pick his passes), but they both complimented Modric who has not been replaced by anyone. So, would I pick Sandro and Dembele over Hudd and Modric? No...for as much as Sandro would be picked ahead of Palacios, a midfield with Modric would be preferred over anyone.

You make it sound so obvious when you ask, is Ade better than Crouch? But that's not the issue, the issue is, are Paulinho and Ade better than Defoe and Crouch, and again the answer is that the lesser players made the better combination. Next season, maybe even later this season as Ade and Pauli get to understand each other better that will change as they are better players, but for now Defoe and Crouch played well together...England, Portsmouth and Spurs, the guys knew each other.

Finally I will piss a lot of people off and say that I would have absolutely no problem with playing Gomes rather than Lloris, Gomes was a fucking fantastic shot stopper and for all his soft goals conceded, he stopped shots he had no business getting close to! I don't feel there is much difference in either in punching the ball between the two of them and though Lloris is exceptionally better at patrolling his box and beyond, his kicking is fucking atrocious.

Do I believe this was a better squad to take on? Yes I do, because I believe as team they are better than the XI players on the field.

Do I believe this would be a better squad to take on Everton tomorrow? Yes I do, but I do have the benefit of hindsight knowing we've beat them with that team before.

Does any of this have anything to do with what Schmood was saying? No.

Once again Sammy you have decided to ignore 99% of what was said to you, you've taken one comment you thought you can 'win' with and headed off down that path. If you don't believe me, read the thread title.

Yes I do believe this squad, moreso the first XI is better than our current lot because; certain players, for all their shortcomings, worked better together (see the colour scheme). Now these are the nuances that people have referred to, so pay attention.

Any defence in the world is better with King in it..I'm going to take your petulant stance here and completely disregard the opinion of anyone who says different. Dawson complimented King well and, I think it's fair to say, Dawson was always better with King alongside, thus our centreback pairing then was better than any two individuals we could currently field because of King.

Is Corluka better than Walker? No, but did Corluka compliment Lennon more? Quite possibly so. Walker pushes up higher than Corluka ever did and in doing so give Lennon less space ahead of him on the wing to use his pace, Corluka would go as far as the halfway line and allow Lennon the rest of the field to terrorise the oppo leftback, and he did, these days I see lots of Walker and little of Lennon.

Similarly with the left wing, sure Bale at that time wasn't the player we sold, but he was still carving up the left wing with the pace and power that have made him such a formidable player, as good as Eriksen has been thus far, Bale was showing a lot more, even then, and he worked well with Benny. BAE was as assured as he has ever been, I still maintain he is a better tackler than Rose though he does divide opinion a lot.

I've replaced Palacios with Hudd but the essence was the same, patrol the midfield and pass to Modric, (this was more Palacios remit, Hudd would obviously allowed to pick his passes), but they both complimented Modric who has not been replaced by anyone. So, would I pick Sandro and Dembele over Hudd and Modric? No...for as much as Sandro would be picked ahead of Palacios, a midfield with Modric would be preferred over anyone.

You make it sound so obvious when you ask, is Ade better than Crouch? But that's not the issue, the issue is, are Paulinho and Ade better than Defoe and Crouch, and again the answer is that the lesser players made the better combination. Next season, maybe even later this season as Ade and Pauli get to understand each other better that will change as they are better players, but for now Defoe and Crouch played well together...England, Portsmouth and Spurs, the guys knew each other.

Finally I will piss a lot of people off and say that I would have absolutely no problem with playing Gomes rather than Lloris, Gomes was a fucking fantastic shot stopper and for all his soft goals conceded, he stopped shots he had no business getting close to! I don't feel there is much difference in either in punching the ball between the two of them and though Lloris is exceptionally better at patrolling his box and beyond, his kicking is fucking atrocious.

Do I believe this was a better squad to take on? Yes I do, because I believe as team they are better than the XI players on the field.

Do I believe this would be a better squad to take on Everton tomorrow? Yes I do, but I do have the benefit of hindsight knowing we've beat them with that team before.

Once again Sammy you have decided to ignore 99% of what was said to you, you've taken one comment you thought you can 'win' with and headed off down that path. If you don't believe me, read the thread title.

30 pages later you suddenly want a debate

Jog the fuck on....the fact you think the squad was stronger in 09-10 shows what a massive prick you are

Last edited:
So are we saying that we would like LVG as our next manager or FDB .......I quite like the idea of having a manager that is known by three initials - it worked so well the last time :avbhumph:

So are we saying that we would like LVG as our next manager or FDB .......I quite like the idea of having a manager that is known by three initials - it worked so well the last time :avbhumph:

I think LvG would be better for working with what we have now, rather than wanting to "build" a squad, it's been said before in that way. Plus, no release fee as he'll be unemployed by the end of the WC I think?

I predict this in the summer transfer window: (making crap gifs to drag back on topic)

hexx.gif

Jog the fuck on....the fact you think the squad was stronger in 09-10 shows what a massive prick you are

Y'know for a moment before I typed all that out I thought, "he won't answer you sensibly, so why bother", but I gave you the chance the have the grown-up, adult discussion I thought you wanted, you know, the one without the name calling and insults.

In the original edit, my posted started; "ok then you dribbling mong...", but I thought better of it. "No, MK" I said to myself..(do you like how I refer to myself by my online moniker?), "you shall be civil, and shall give fair and just reason for your argument, for SamuelSpurs wants not to suffer insult and derision, but to debate and discuss as men!", and thus the post was re-written, and edited for nicety and want of intelligent reposte.

You let me down Sammy....but then, I knew you would ;)

Excellent post, and exactly what I've been getting at. I'd also add in that the team was managed by a more skilled manager (whatever people think of Harry as a person) and team and fan morale was certainly higher than it is now. Hell, we were even better to watch, with Modric's silky passes and Bale bombing down the wing to feed in crosses (the version of Bale I actually thought better served the side rather than the one man team). Like I say, it's all about the recipe, not the ingredients.

Victim playing (also known as playing the victim or self-victimization) is the fabrication of victimhood for a variety of reasons such as to justify abuse of others, to manipulate others, a coping strategy or attention seeking.

Very disappointing from the man who had claimed so many times that "[he] only wants to talk about Spurs".

Your post counterargues well and whilst I agree with a lot of it and would say that first XI may have performed better as a team unfortunately sammy's single minded black or white view is quite simple and you wasted your time putting forward a reasonable debate with a child who is now throwing his toys out of his pram .

The SQUAD i.e. not just the first XI but also the individual players is better now than it was then which as a whole I have to agree with. Unfortunately the arrogance and bullying of such child will not allow his ego to admit anything more.

Jesus Christ @ sammyspurs sammyspurs , what have I started. I call you dense and you get butthurt as fuck. You call me a tit, a cunt dismiss my opinion as laughable and then you play the victim like a bitch. Chill the fuck out man.

This started as me backing LvG's credentials and you've manipulated it into first a Harry convo then a convo about the credibility of an 09-10 squad which initially was a minor point in my argument which you've blown up into a massive issue for reasons I don't know.

You can pat yourself on the back for ''mugging me off'' as much as you like and calling an opinion crap blah blah blah. Whatever makes you feel better.

Sorry it took a while to respond, I was busy having a life outside the forum. You should try it.

We can all learn a valuable lesson here.

LVG doesn't rate Peter Crouch.

That's what we've been talking about isn't it? I think? No?

Ahh fuck it.

The SQUAD i.e. not just the first XI but also the individual players is better now than it was then which as a whole I have to agree with.

Thanks. Thats all Ive been arguing.

And while the team had gelled in 09-10, I still dont think its a stronger first 11 at all.....it just had a few years behind it rather than a few months...but thats another issue altogether, and one which has no bearing on the strength of both SQUADS.

If people dont know that a squad is different to a first team, and they want to argue something else, that I am not talking about, then I have no reason to take that on board. Might as well talk about the weather.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom