Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vertonghen and Vlad would obviously just swap sides. Paulinho played as an AM against Man Utd at home (almost as high up as "the VDV position" in fact), and did it very well. Played in the position at times vs Stoke as well.

I stand corrected on both Paulinho counts.

I think you need to re-read that post. I never actually said that. I actually said I suspected you of deliberately misunderstanding the point of discussion. A position I still believe to be true. But that's by the by and from a completely different discussion altogether.

Although I don't necessarily think you meant it, what you wrote communicated itself as 'if you don't agree with me, you obviously have a mental condition'. That's quite strong and would hope that you could understand that by constructing your sentence that way, it was likely to be taken offensively:

Like I said before, you are either deliberately misunderstanding the point here, which I suspect, or you have some form of disorder on the autistic spectrum.
[opinion on subject here]
.....Though, you appear too blinkered to accept that, or unable to process it.

Sometimes people don't see a point the same way for several reasons, but suggesting someone is inferior for failing to agree with a point of view is a personal attack. I don't want to flood this topic with that thought as I don't feel that there's a resolution to the source of the point, agree to disagree.

sammy your arguments seem to always be one extreme to the other there's never seems to be any grey area with you quite frankly I think that's what people find tiresome. Some of us actually vary our opinion, we don't say yeah our squad now is stronger and just because we believe that at the same time completely ignore Ledley King for example.

Look...its simple.

If I thought we were were stronger in 09-10, I would quite happily say that I would rather have the 09-10 squad.

Why cant anyone else? Why do they want a weaker squad?

Or is it that deep down, they dont actually believe what they are saying, and dug a massive hole from which they refuse to climb out from. What grey area is there?

I think the squad was stronger in 09-10....but I would take our best players now and swap them for the shit ones then

That doesnt work for me. Call it extreme if you want, but I live by logic.

Although I don't necessarily think you meant it, what you wrote communicated itself as 'if you don't agree with me, you obviously have a mental condition'. That's quite strong and would hope that you could understand that by constructing your sentence that way, it was likely to be taken offensively:

Sometimes people don't see a point the same way for several reasons, but suggesting someone is inferior for failing to agree with a point of view is a personal attack. I don't want to flood this topic with that thought as I don't feel that there's a resolution to the source of the point, agree to disagree.

Probably best to take it to the Laudrup thread. But no offense was intended.

Paulinho played as an AM against Man Utd at home (almost as high up as "the VDV position" in fact), and did it very well. Played in the position at times vs Stoke as well.

I was saying before his injury I quite fancy Paulinho in the attacking spot of a 433. He, Sandro and Dembele, something like that. Obviously I dont have a huge amount to go on to validate it, but I do think he could flourish there.

He shows really good touches and short passes, it would put him position to get goals more and he has the workrate to impact across the pitch...

That said with Eriksen coming into some sort of form I doubt Paulinho will be tried there for a whil

sammy your arguments seem to always be one extreme to the other there never seems to be any grey area with you quite frankly I think that's what people find tiresome. Some of us actually vary our opinion, we don't say yeah our squad now is stronger and just because we believe that at the same time completely ignore Ledley King for example.
He knows that. He's just trolling.

Unless he honestly thinks we still have players who are currently as good as Modric and Bale.

Unless he honestly thinks we still have players who are currently as good as Modric and Bale.

Unless I'm misinterpreting it, I read the topic as Sammy saying our squad is stronger now as a unit than it was when we had Modric/Bale, rather than we have better players than those two.

Similarly, we have a better squad now than in 98/99, but I'd love to have a player like David Ginola in the team now. Maybe because he stood out because the rest of our team was weak, I don't know. No offence to Allan Nielsen!

As I said about 10 pages ago...Bale was not on the level as we sold him, back then.

I also said, that I dont believe that Bale, Modric and King are enough to compensate the likes of Gomes over Lloris, and Crouch over Ade etc etc etc etc for nearly every other player BAR those three.

You read that post. You commented on that post. You dismissed it as me naming subs instead of first teamers.

I asked what other quality we had, and if I should have named Frazier Campbell over Pav.

You ignored it, And now you ask the same question again.

Well, once more. For me....three outstanding individuals, do not mean that the squad in 09-10, was stronger than now.

I believe that today, we have far better DEPTH OF QUALITY throughout the ENTIRE squad...making it MUCH stronger.

Which squad would you rather play Everton with by the way? 09-10, or 13-14.......simple answer if you will.

Just choose one.

Unless I'm misinterpreting it, I read the topic as Sammy saying our squad is stronger now as a unit than it was when we had Modric/Bale, rather than we have better players than those two.
If that's what he's saying then why is he picking at me claiming that I said Lloris is worse than Gomes, when in actual fact what I said was entirely different, namely that defining a good squad is not just about like for like player comparisons, but also other factors like management, morale, formation, how well the squad gels, whether or not there is a world class linking playmaker like Modric and so on?

If you are going to do like for like on player comparisons then Sammy is right, there are a greater number of "better" players now than there were then. But my argument is that that's not all there is to defining whether or not a squad is better. We may have an all round number of "better" players, but we have no world classers at present (aside from maybe Lloris, but he is a keeper, not a playmaker). Our formation and unity is not as good as it was. Our manager is more inexperienced. There are more unhappy players in our squad than there were back then and it's debateable as to whether or not the players are up for the cause as much as they were back then. It's these points that he both won't answer and has been deriding as ludicrous and farcical for the past few pages. Then he has the audacity to play the straw man and pretend I am making some sort of argument that I'd rather see Gomes in goal tomorrow. That is a troll, no two ways about it.

claiming that I said Lloris is worse than GomesThat is a troll, no two ways about it.

Who's the Troll....you are acting ike Arcspace now.....laughable

Ive outlined EXACTLY why I think we are stronger now, above.

You are saying nothing...."the players are unhappy"...."the manager has less experience".....

Then you say that its down to Modric and Bale.....

Fuck me, you offered me a job the other week.....I wouldnt stand up in court and represent a single fucking thing for your firm....you should warn people that you actually dont know what you are doing.

If that's what he's saying then why is he picking at me claiming that I said Lloris is worse than Gomes, when in actual fact what I said was entirely different

The Gomes thing might be :troll:

On a side note, for anyone that's played FM2014, Gomes is still highly rated and is only down as more 'eccentric' than Lloris really.

To be fair to the guy, he could do a good job for any of the top 9 in our league, easily. He wasn't as bad as Redknapp seemed to make him look. Certainly wasn't and isn't a Bosnich/Robinson/Taibi/Green type of keeper

Which squad would you rather play Everton with by the way? 09-10, or 13-14.......simple answer if you will.

Just choose one.
09-10.

Better manager. Better team spirit. Ledley King. World class playmaker. Better function squad as a single unit. Again, these are key reasons why strength in depth is not the only reason for a successful side, otherwise the likes of Woolwich and Liverpool would not be doing as well as they are. Suarez and Ozil? Their Bales and Modrics.

Unless you think they have vastly better squads then us?

The Gomes thing might be :troll:

Only I never said it.

I simply used the logic, that if I believed we were stronger in 09-10, then I would rather have the stronger squad. That means I would take Gomes over Lloris, becuase it would mean I had the likes of Bale and Modric.

Just like I believe we are stronger now, so I will sacrifice Bale and Modric, for the likes of Lloris, Ade, Vertonghen, Vlad, Walker, Sandro, Dembele, Eriksen and Paulinho.

He cant say that though.

09-10.

Better manager. Better team spirit. Ledley King. World class playmaker. Better function squad as a single unit. Again, these are key reasons why strength in depth is not the only reason for a successful side, otherwise the likes of Woolwich and Liverpool would not be doing as well as they are. Suarez and Ozil? Their Bales and Mordics.

Unless you think they have vastly better squads then us?

So you would rather play Everton with Gomes than Lloris.

Thank you. Not sure why it took you 10 posts to answer.

Only I never said it.

I simply used the logic, that if I believed we were stronger in 09-10, then I would rather have the stronger squad. That means I would take Gomes over Lloris, becuase it would mean I had the likes of Bale and Modric.

Just like I believe we are stronger now, so I will sacrifice Bale and Modric, for the likes of Lloris, Ade, Vertonghen, Vlad, Walker, Sandro, Dembele, Eriksen and Paulinho.

He cant say that though.

Ah okay.
I think Salmon is proposing on a player basis that we would be stronger as a squad if we had a Bale/Modric type "stand-out performer" in the team.

However, your argument is that you'd happily take our squad now,even if we don't have a Bale/Modric player, over one where we'd have Bale & Modric, but Gomes/Corluka/BAE in it.

Difference is, I dont feel sorry for myself.....I point it out, to remind you that you are no better behaved
What bullshit. :harrylol:

I've never seen anyone whine so much about being the victim as you. Hell you've even set up threads in the past to complain. :harrylol:
So you would rather play Everton with Gomes than Lloris.

Thank you. Not sure why it took you 10 posts to answer.
I would rather play the collective unit of 09-10 than the one now against Everton tomorrow.

Given the choice between players, I would rather player Lloris over Gomes.

Like I say, it's not just about individual players being better than others. It's about a team being more or less than the sum of it's parts.

I would rather play the collective unit of 09-10 than the one now against Everton tomorrow.

Given the choice between players, I would rather player Lloris over Gomes.

Like I say, it's not just about individual players being better than others. It's about a team being more or less than the sum of it's parts.

The collective means that Gomes will play and not Lloris.

This is not Star Wars.....the squad you prefer has Gomes in it. Not Lloris.

Like I say, we are stronger all over the pitch today, despite King, Modric and Bale not being here. Thats why I think the squad is stronger today which was the issue at hand.

Not, "which first team had more experience playing together", which you have tried desperately to wrangle it into.

:harrysmile:

Back
Top Bottom