Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have not once mentioned the first team.....other people wangled it in when they realised the squad is stronger now and they were talking shit.

I think the first 11 now is stronger too for the record, but I havent been discussing that...
Well I guess everything is debatable. The fact that I agree with you that the SQUAD is stronger does not mean that everyone else is wrong. But can't you see that if the older squad managed to achieve what the current squad can't, then the older might be stronger despite being weaker man for man?

Its like he wants blood out of a stone sometimes!!!

The irony is, I actually agree with Sammy's original point that we should expect more from this squad, especially if LVG takes over. It's actually a fairly sensible comment that has somehow spawned a monster debate about fuck all.

The irony is, I actually agree with Sammy's original point that we should expect more from this squad, especially if LVG takes over. It's actually a fairly sensible comment that has somehow spawned a monster debate about fuck all.
Yes upon reflection he was right re we should expect more from this squad if a manager with extensive global experience takes over

Yes upon reflection he was right re we should expect more from this squad if a manager with extensive global experience takes over
The beef I had with that view is his insistence on nailing down he must achieve 4th in the same time as Harry. When, if you know about LvG, he takes time to create a structure and ethic that takes longer than a single season to see results, which are then, pretty sensational. There isn't a universal yardstick for managerial success, all are different and in LvG you're buying something different to Harry, which he didn't seem to get.

Agreed, I was on the end of his initial tirades and I don't think he should be binned.

I think its not so much "He said something really unacceptable!" and possibly more "He is just blatant trolling and spamming the board". Same with Arcspace earlier in the week, didnt say anything particularly outrageous that I saw - but was consistently niggling in every thread (with Sammy, mostly!) and it gets to a point where its just destroying any given thread - which IMO is also unacceptable

And what am I "making it out to be"?
Univariate. You're a manichean mine-field in this thread, and you may not see this reponse as you're now in the sin bin.

You're right that Schmood said "he will have a weaker squad than Harry had," and you've been hammering on that without any opportunity for context or nuance while still arguing that, you, yourself, mean specifically squad not as first team, etc., etc.

Your contention is that Harry is the most successful PL-era Spurs manager because, among other things, he led us to fourth (and a CL berth) in his first full season. Hence, if van Gaal fails to do the same, he will necessarily be a step down from Harry. It was to this that Schmood was responding.

My argument (what I take to be Smoked Salmon's argument as well as the arguments of all of us Arcspace multis) is that it's simply not. that. simple. I offer immediately that 2009/10 can't be compared to 2014/15 because it's likely that we'll have Europe next season. Many people at various pay grades have argued that Liverpool and Everton's successes this year are a function of not having European football (maybe that's a rough rubric for separating "Top 4" quality from "Pretender" quality: the former can roll with Europe; so until we prove we can, we'll be forever pretenders).

Smoked Salmon suggests that we had a more cohesive defensive unit then and a field marshal controlling each match in Modrić: two things that are (obviously?) missing now.

So it's unfair to compare the potential first season of van Gaal with Redknapp's so tightly, because it suggests that there is only one variable that is different: the manager. Schmood tried to point that out, and then you moved the posts and have since just been focusing on that new sole variable, "squad". Sole variable. Sole variable. Sole variable.

Anyway, to play arch literalist for a moment, Schmood's comment about the future that van Gaal "will have a weaker squad than Harry had" could become true even by your standards, if, by the time van Gaal gets to North London, we've sold wantaway Lloris, Vertonghen, Lamela, etc., and the rest of our squad has perished in an air disaster.

The comment you deem completely moronic on the face of it compares something that happened in the past with something from the future that may or may not ever happen. What on earth makes a comment about the potential of an even so completely hypothetical situation worthy of such total disdain?

A Louis van Gaal thread in the Spurs sub-forum is necessarily completely hypothetical and traffics in fantasies, suppositions, dreams, and theories. Not "logic".

Last edited:
The beef I had with that view is his insistence on nailing down he must achieve 4th in the same time as Harry. When, if you know about LvG, he takes time to create a structure and ethic that takes longer than a single season to see results, which are then, pretty sensational. There isn't a universal yardstick for managerial success, all are different and in LvG you're buying something different to Harry, which he didn't seem to get.
He tends to be myopic when it comes to Arry.

Cant' say I particularly agree with @ ArcspacE ArcspacE and @ sammyspurs sammyspurs being binned over their hysterics more so over the length ArcspacE has already been binned for (I don't recall any previous binning for this one to be so long?). This is where some transparency of the sin bin votes would also be preferred.

That said I also don't believe in the comment "the sin bin isn't working" but may just need a tweak somehow?

Cant' say I particularly agree with @ ArcspacE ArcspacE and @ sammyspurs sammyspurs being binned over their hysterics
Sammy was lacing nearly every single post with personal insults. He spams up nearly every thread he's in with that stuff. He then plays his little victim game. People are tired of it and he's been told many times, if he behaved normally people wouldn't get sick of him. That's why he's been binned I think. He's just not interested in anything other than causing trouble and doesn't care whether people get pissed off with it because it's all about poor sammy. It's all so childish.

more so over the length ArcspacE has already been binned for (I don't recall any previous binning for this one to be so long?)
I think the TFC boys have been quite clear on this. It's supposed to deter cuntish behaviour. The more times you get sinbinned longer you stay in there for. If someone goes in the bin comes out and then goes straight back to calling people pricks and morons every other post, why shouldn't they go back in for a bit longer?

This is where some transparency of the sin bin votes would also be preferred.
So that the people who submitted votes can become the subject of witch hunts and grudges? Doesn't the defeat the purpose of it?
That said I also don't believe in the comment "the sin bin isn't working" but may just need a tweak somehow?
The way I see it there are certain people who will carry on regardless of punishment unless you ban them. I think folks like sammy are a good example. So I suppose the remaining "benefit" is simply that others get a break from the troublemaking for a bit.

As for Arcspace, what did he actually go in for?

Last edited:
I think its not so much "He said something really unacceptable!" and possibly more "He is just blatant trolling and spamming the board". Same with Arcspace earlier in the week, didnt say anything particularly outrageous that I saw - but was consistently niggling in every thread (with Sammy, mostly!) and it gets to a point where its just destroying any given thread - which IMO is also unacceptable
Agreed. I don't mind a bit of a cunt off, or some bullshit in threads. But it gets tedious very quickly when you have pious individuals who bleat on about wanting to discuss and debate topics, yet are incapable of doing so without trolling and insulting you every five seconds, over and over and over in just about every Spurs thread. You just get to the stage where you think "sigh, just give it a fucking rest man". That's whats got sammy binned.

Agreed. I don't mind a bit of a cunt off, or some bullshit in threads. But it gets tedious very quickly when you have pious individuals who bleat on about wanting to discuss and debate topics, yet are incapable of doing so without trolling and insulting you every five seconds, over and over and over in just about every Spurs thread. You just get to the stage where you think "sigh, just give it a fucking rest man". That's whats got sammy binned.

I don't think he's that different to most others on here, but for the fact he says stuff which makes sense and is well thought out...

..then also includes a personal insult or 7, which is where it gets silly. Not sure why he gets sin binned, sometimes its not just sammy and a few people jump in to goad him a little.

..then also includes a personal insult or 7, which is where it gets silly. Not sure why he gets sin binned, sometimes its not just sammy and a few people jump in to goad him a little.
I used to like to goad him a bit. His meltdown last year was brilliant. But the more trolls that came here and the more cunt offs that were happening I figured it was time to stop. It just gets boring after a while. Now when I come here I just want to debate stuff and sometimes have a bit of a joke. That's all. I've tried to communicate this to sammy over and over. So have others. So I really don't think there is some conspiracy. I think people are just bored with it all now.

Back
Top Bottom