Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Am I the only one who thinks he's being a bit of a cunt, openly touting for a job where there isn't even a vacancy.

Little bit disrespectful, IMO.
In all fairness, he's not going around trying to find journalists to talk about Spurs. He's being interviewed and the question is coming up for him to answer, so he does. Granted, he could just say "no comment" or being more coy about it, but I don't know what he has to lose by doing so.

The video of him walking off the TV show is bonkers lol. He seems like a right metal b**tard. I think he might be just a bit too mental for Man U. If the press give him half as hard a time as they did AVB, I could see him kicking off and chinning someone.

If Moyes goes now then it won't be LvG going there unless they reach an agreement for someone to be caretaker until the summer. I'd be gutted if we lost out again. Hopefully Red Nose is still in the background urging the United board to give Moyes more time and investment.

http://www.4dfoot.com/2013/08/01/i-am-the-ideal-man-15-quotes-by-louis-van-gaal/

These quotes from him are mental. He's an absolute nutter. He's like a meaner, more arrogant, and insane Redknapp. I like it personally, name me a successful manager that isn't crazy. Certainly none of Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho are normal.

I think that might have been the problem with AVB. We all liked him because he was a likable guy that we thought he'd be decent to have a pint with. But ultimately I don't think your manager should be likable. He's supposed to be an authoritarian prick who thinks he's better than everyone else. I think it's safe to say that with LVG we would never have a boring moment. I just hope Levy could handle it.

I can't see him going to United. Ferguson would never want a manager that big and outspoken sitting his old seat. I bet he'd slag off SAF in his opening press conference, the nutter.

Also worth noting that Dembele played under LVG during his time at AZ, including winning the Eredivisie together in 2009. I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on the him if we were to go through with the hiring.

I like this one...

9) I’m not the kind of coach who just goes out and buys players for the sake of it. I’m a coach who wants to – and can – improve players.

:troll:

I didn't know whether to put this in this thread or the summer transfer window or here but here it is.

Operating on the tenuous prospect that Van Gaal becomes our manager (tenuous because as Tottenham fans aren't allowed to have nice things) I found something I read about him to be interesting. Apparently the real turning point for his Ajax side was Van Gaal bringing an aging Frank Rijkaard back to Ajax in 1993 for what would be the final stop of his playing career.

The Ajax side of 1994-1995 ended up not losing a single match in the Eredivisie or Europe en route to league and CL titles. That team had Van de Saar, Reiziger, the De Boer brothers, Seedorf, Edgar Davids, Litmanen, Overmars, Kanu, and Kluivert all of whom were under 25 at the time, some still their teens. Anyway, the introduction of Rijkaard was seen as a massive move because he supposedly helped them grow up a lot and show them how things were done which was what Van Gaal intended.

Our current roster is extremely young with the potential to get even younger considering our academy is supposed to be the best it has been in recent member. So you have to wonder if LVG might try to bring a couple of experienced and senior leaders to help usher the young talent along. I think we could certainly use it considering our only senior leader types are Dawson and Friedel and neither of them have ever really been considered winners or been to the highest echelons of the sport.

I hope LVG does that as I think one of the biggest problems is that our team is lacking in experience and veteran battle tested players. I don't know if LVG would only want guys he'd worked with before but I'd love to add Gareth Barry. He's been in great form this year and a steadying presence. I also think he's aided greatly in the development of young guys like Barkley and McCarthy. He's been around the block and we could use a few guys like that. Not necessarily just for their on field contributions but for their dressing room presence.

I didn't know whether to put this in this thread or the summer transfer window or here but here it is.

Operating on the tenuous prospect that Van Gaal becomes our manager (tenuous because as Tottenham fans aren't allowed to have nice things) I found something I read about him to be interesting. Apparently the real turning point for his Ajax side was Van Gaal bringing an aging Frank Rijkaard back to Ajax in 1993 for what would be the final stop of his playing career.

The Ajax side of 1994-1995 ended up not losing a single match in the Eredivisie or Europe en route to league and CL titles. That team had Van de Saar, Reiziger, the De Boer brothers, Seedorf, Edgar Davids, Litmanen, Overmars, Kanu, and Kluivert all of whom were under 25 at the time, some still their teens. Anyway, the introduction of Rijkaard was seen as a massive move because he supposedly helped them grow up a lot and show them how things were done which was what Van Gaal intended.

Our current roster is extremely young with the potential to get even younger considering our academy is supposed to be the best it has been in recent member. So you have to wonder if LVG might try to bring a couple of experienced and senior leaders to help usher the young talent along. I think we could certainly use it considering our only senior leader types are Dawson and Friedel and neither of them have ever really been considered winners or been to the highest echelons of the sport.

I hope LVG does that as I think one of the biggest problems is that our team is lacking in experience and veteran battle tested players. I don't know if LVG would only want guys he'd worked with before but I'd love to add Gareth Barry. He's been in great form this year and a steadying presence. I also think he's aided greatly in the development of young guys like Barkley and McCarthy. He's been around the block and we could use a few guys like that. Not necessarily just for their on field contributions but for their dressing room presence.
I have no doubt he'd do the above.

I am also in no doubt we will be saying bon voyage to some beloved players. Dawson will not play in an LvG side for one. Lennon and Rose too. People will cry foul of losing our ''British core''. He'll want technically proficient players who have a bit about them. Sheringham types. If he arrives, things will change massively, hence my earlier barney with Sammy about him needing time to implement his 'vision'.

I have no doubt he'd do the above.

I am also in no doubt we will be saying bon voyage to some beloved players. Dawson will not play in an LvG side for one. Lennon and Rose too. People will cry foul of losing our ''British core''. He'll want technically proficient players who have a bit about them. Sheringham types. If he arrives, things will change massively, hence my earlier barney with Sammy about him needing time to implement his 'vision'.

As mentioned above, he said he prefers to develop players rather than buying them. We have so many young players I would be surprised if he brought too many in or sent too many out. I don't think Rose would be done under LVG I think he would see an opportunity to develop him. He also won't be able to ship out many of our British players due to our very low homegrown numbers.

I just hope he brings in at least two players with experience to lead our young core. We have almost no one who is proven at the highest levels of the game. Adebayor arguably has the most impressive CV but he's no role model. I want a few guys with top four league experience, champions league experience and legitimate international experience. Only Vertonghen, Lloris, Dembele, Friedel, Eriksen and Adebayor have over 25 international caps. But Vertonghen and Dembele have never been to a big international tournament. Also, very little knockout stage Champions League experience. If these are the things we're going to strive for then we need a few guys who have been there.

Basically we're the next Ajax dynasty should he come to us
I like the sounds of that

Gareth Barry? :parker:

Thats where he lost me :adegrin2:

Very much liked the post to that point then thought "WTF!?". I know what he means though, and agree with the idea - abeit not the example.

Redknapp did the same with us, Gallas, Gudjohnsena and Parker to varying degrees/longevity gave us a real boost as an "old head"

Very much liked the post to that point then thought "WTF!?". I know what he means though, and agree with the idea - abeit not the example.

Redknapp did the same with us, Gallas, Gudjohnsena and Parker to varying degrees/longevity gave us a real boost as an "old head"

This time though we want Pirlo, Ronaldinho and George Best.

Haha he was just the first name that jumped to mind. He's been absolutely excellent for Everton this year. I really believe the improvement of Barkley and McCarthy are due to his veteran presence. Plus, he would help with our desperately low home grown numbers.

LVG would probably want to bring in someone he is more familiar with. My point remains though, we are a team full of young and inexperienced players. Lloris is really the only guy who has been tested at the highest levels of club and international football.

It's great to have young players and I love what we're building but we are going to need an experienced manager and a few veteran players to come help them along. Over the last two years we've had two inexperienced managers and tons of young players. Not a great combination really. It has really cost us in tense moments of the season. Hope both are rectified this summer.

Ultimately, if I was to make a denouement about the last two seasons I would say that choosing AVB (and to a lesser degree since he was clearly last choice, Sherwood) was a bad decision, that was not in keeping with the clubs direction. Not that I don't think AVB was worthy of the job— I think he'll be a great manager someday— it just didn't make sense to bring in a young manager when the the player acquisition focus is to restock the team with youth.

In the last two seasons we've bought or introduced from academy (Ages are from when they were bought):
Sigurdsson- 22, Fryers- 20, Paulinho- 25, Rose- 23, Vertonghen- 25, Holtby- 22, Chadli- 23, Townsend- 22, Dembele- 25, Soldado- 28, Carroll- 21, Lloris- 25, Capoue- 25, Bentaleb- 19, Adebayor- 28, Eriksen- 21, Dempsey- 29, Chiriches- 23 and Lamela- 21.

Guys that left (excluding Bale and Modric as we didn't want them to leave)
Dempsey- 30, Caulker- 22, Defoe- 31, Dos Santos- 23, Gallas- 35, Bentley- 29, Pav- 30, Huddlestone- 26, Corluka- 26, Bassong- 27, Parker- 32, Kranjcar- 27, Jenas- 30, BAE- 29, Bassong- 26, and King- 31.

Basically, we've gotten drastically younger at every position barring striker. Yet our last two managerial appointments have been young guys with no real experience in developing players at the highest level. I actually like both AVB and Sherwood but looking at it now with the way our roster is set up it's pretty clear we should have brought in an experienced manager with a track record of developing young talent. Our team is probably only going to get younger if our academy bears fruit like many are predicting. Hopefully this summer we bring in LVG or another experienced manager.

Last edited:
Noises being made about Moyes leaving ManRed, would be gutted if they took LVG from under our nose.

Ahhhh finally we have found the spursy angle here after 33 pages of discussion, you can see it now, Dutch exit world cup, the press all hyped up, he's on his way, then united sack Moyes and literally his plane gets diverted up north, giving us a few weeks to get a manager!

:harryhmm:I'd have a cheeky fiver on that

media_l_1231157.jpg

Wasn't that him in the Bricklayers 2 seasons ago watching Chelsea v Bayern???

Back
Top Bottom