Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We're definitely missing a veteran in the side. A worldie just past their peak would be a steal I the summer.

We were linked to Pirlo earlier this year. Maybe we could get Vidic interested too, we do need a CB. Miroslav Klose maybe. Evra splitting time with Rose at LB wouldn't be terrible. Villa would have been a perfect addition this summer, shame. With Van Gaal, Snejider and even a return of VDV could be an option. My ultimate dream would be to somehow tempt Carrick back.

I mean I wouldn't really want most of those guys playing more than half to 3/4ths of the games but they could help harbor a culture of winning at the club which we desperately need.

We were linked to Pirlo earlier this year. Maybe we could get Vidic interested too, we do need a CB. Miroslav Klose maybe. Evra splitting time with Rose at LB wouldn't be terrible. Villa would have been a perfect addition this summer, shame. With Van Gaal, Snejider and even a return of VDV could be an option. My ultimate dream would be to somehow tempt Carrick back.

I mean I wouldn't really want most of those guys playing more than half to 3/4ths of the games but they could help harbor a culture of winning at the club which we desperately need.

A striker is needed most after Defoe's departure. We only have 2 and Harry Kane just doesn't do it for me, even as back up.

Vidic and Klose seemed to have regressed a lot in the last years. All the other ones would be great signings though.

Agreed but the point isn't about them being great players. It's about them coming in and playing a few games here and there while providing leadership and guidance to our extremely young squad. I just want to bring some old winners into the dressing room and let their attitude and experience rub off on the lads.

Basically they get their last healthy paycheck and we get the benefit of their knowledge and leadership.

Agreed but the point isn't about them being great players. It's about them coming in and playing a few games here and there while providing leadership and guidance to our extremely young squad. I just want to bring some old winners into the dressing room and let their attitude and experience rub off on the lads.

Basically they get their last healthy paycheck and we get the benefit of their knowledge and leadership.
In this case i can only agree. We need some experience in our squad badly, there were so many games this season when we needed an older player to provide our squad with that extra bit of experience. To be fair, we also need a true leader, for all his good parts, captain Dawson didn't prove to be quite up to scratch from this perspective.

You can forget about Sneijder, him and LvG don't like each other. Sneijder is probably not going to the WC. VDV could be an option, although not sure if he'd really be a first XI anymore. Definitely an option as a veteran player like you describe though (dressing room etc).

Edit: this is all hypothetical, IF LvG comes here, of course.
:rolleyes:

In this case i can only agree. We need some experience in our squad badly, there were so many games this season when we needed an older player to provide our squad with that extra bit of experience. To be fair, we also need a true leader, for all his good parts, captain Dawson didn't prove to be quite up to scratch from this perspective.

We don't really know if it's Dawson's fault. To my eye it seems like Friedel and Dawson are the only experience leaders we have. They also seems like the two nicest guys in the squad. So I would think you'd want to combine a guy like Dawson with a few more combative and competitive leaders.

We don't really know if it's Dawson's fault. To my eye it seems like Friedel and Dawson are the only experience leaders we have. They also seems like the two nicest guys in the squad. So I would think you'd want to combine a guy like Dawson with a few more combative and competitive leaders.
Dawson is definitely one of the most likable guys out there, such a nice guys that makes me forgive him for his mistakes in defence (well, at least most of them). We need more experience in our squad, we have some very good young prospects, but we also need a few players with experience to teach them all the tricks of the trade.

Dawson is definitely one of the most likable guys out there, such a nice guys that makes me forgive him for his mistakes in defence (well, at least most of them). We need more experience in our squad, we have some very good young prospects, but we also need a few players with experience to teach them all the tricks of the trade.

I just looked at our first team roster and tabulated the amount of Premier League appearances they have (included Carroll and Holtby but not BAE and Livermore as I don't think they'll play with us again). Out of 29 players there was 2,063 Premier League appearances. 1,160 of those appearances came from Adebayor, Dawson, Lennon, and Friedel.

56% of our PL experience comes from four players. Pretty incredible. Excluding those four it means that the other twenty five members of our squad average just 36 PL appearances. Less than a season. Really underlines the problem of experience.

Last edited:
I just looked at our first team roster and tabulated the amount of Premier League appearances they have (included Carroll and Holtby but not BAE and Livermore as I don't think they'll play with us again). Out of 29 players there was 2,063 Premier League appearances. 1,160 of those appearances came from Adebayor, Dawson, Lennon, and Friedel.

56% of our PL experience comes from four players. Pretty incredible. Excluding those four it means that the twenty five member of our squad on average has just 36 PL appearances. Less than a season. Really underlines the problem of experience.

somebodies got wwaaaayyy to much time on their hands lol

you at work then?

No I just graduated recently. Looking for a short team job before I get a masters in the Fall. Hard to find a job as no good jobs want anyone for such a small amount of time. So until then I'm trying to prevent myself from going completely insane by doing stupid shit like this haha

No I just graduated recently. Looking for a short team job before I get a masters in the Fall. Hard to find a job as no good jobs want anyone for such a small amount of time. So until then I'm trying to prevent myself from going completely insane by doing stupid shit like this haha

McDonalds is always hiring :holtbytongue:

Back
Top Bottom