Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I reckon Naybet had a big impact on Ledley tbh.
Davids too - had a massive impact on the overall squad. Just watching him train and his ethos and commitment to being a winner. Certainly had huge impact on Carrick (cough), Daws, Ledley and Lennon.

I'd quite happily settle for a 34 year old Ibra to come in and knock a few arses into shape

Going back to Mancini, think he gets a lot of unfair criticism.

Think he's a competent manager, yes his European record with City was poor, but he won City the title and the FA Cup but got fired for finishing 2nd and the Wigan defeat.

He'd be a very good appointment, not a chance of that happening though imo.

Going back to Mancini, think he gets a lot of unfair criticism.

Think he's a competent manager, yes his European record with City was poor, but he won City the title and the FA Cup but got fired for finishing 2nd and the Wigan defeat.

He'd be a very good appointment, not a chance of that happening though imo.

He got fired because he caused several fractures in the team and fell out with practically everyone. He would be a monumentally bad appointment. This season has shown that Fergie won the title with one of the worst sides he's ever had last year. And Mancini, with billion pound backing couldn't even come close.

Van Gaal has unbelievable pedigree, a history of success while playing attractive football and the attitude to keep a board in check. At 63 he's young enough to go for a few years, I can't believe there are people who wouldn't want him. Surely he's the kind of manager players join a club for?

Otherwise, and completely different type of manager, I'd love us to take a punt on Pochettino. For anyone who has seen the photos of him and Shaw yesterday, he seems to have an unbelievable bond with his players and fostered a real team spirit (while bedding in new signings, Osvaldo aside).

This pretty much rules out de Boer

Ajax loosing 6-1 to an austrian team is unacceptable

Touch of the Redknapp head turn I am hoping!! Vertonghen and Eriksen won title under him and they are two players we build team around I personally would like De Boer but if it is Van Gaal that's a big improvement too

I reckon Naybet had a big impact on Ledley tbh.

Absolutely. I wish we'd had him for a few seasons in his prime. It was clear from his first few matches that he knew more about defending than any player I'd seen at Spurs in a long time. Just the way he knew how to position his body to avoid making a tackle in a dangerous position, or a non-aggressive foul in a safe area to avoid the opposition hitting us on the break.

I'd certainly be more than happy to see a couple of senior statemen come in to our side next season to help instill a bit of winning mentality.

This pretty much rules out de Boer

Ajax loosing 6-1 to an austrian team is unacceptable

The fact that some people want another young managerial prodigy is astounding in my book. After AVB and now Sherwood I'm ready for an experienced old disciplinarian cunt to whip these pansies into shape and get us playing with some style rather than whinging it from one match to the next. LvG would be a blessing.

A very good Austrian team. Soriano has been on fire this season.

Salzburg are a VERY good side. Would beat us. Soriano and Alan one of the best strike partnerships in Europe right now. Would make a mockery of our defence.

Ajax lost 3-0 at home, and to me that says a lot about the manager. Ajax can loose to anyone, it's the numbers that's the issue.

BTW It would have been refreshing if Salzburg became ''Austrias Basel'' (in lack of a better term)

Ajax lost 3-0 at home, and to me that says a lot about the manager. Ajax can loose to anyone, it's the numbers that's the issue.

BTW It would have been refreshing if Salzburg became ''Austrias Basel'' (in lack of a better term)
Judging a manager on one home defeat isn't the most sensible thing. It certainly doesn't override 3 consecutive League titles and a 60% win percentage.

I think the three veterans who really helped our side in recent years were Davids, Gallas, and Van der Vaart. Davids came in and we had our first two fifth place finishes of this era. He helped a lot with the maturation of our young midfielders like Carrick, Huddlestone, Lennon, and Jenas IMO.

Gallas and VDV came in during the same window and they were unparalleled in importance during our CL run. It is easy to forget just how good Gallas was in Champions League, he was imperious at times. He also got the Captain's band a few times very early in his tenure, shows how important he was. To have a guy who had played in a World Cup final and won the Premier League a couple of times was clearly great for us.

Then with Rafa he was unique because he was a veteran who still had a couple years left of his prime. We were so lucky to get a player like him and it's unlikely we'll find one again. He had the belief and understanding of a man who had played a significant amount at the top levels of football. That belief seeped into the rest of our attack and you could see the confidence he gave everyone else because he had the confidence in his own game which comes from experience. We have no player who has that confidence now. Eriksen flashes it occasionally but he's still a boy and isn't that same inspirational figure as Rafa.

Get some experienced geezers in to show the young lads how football is supposed to be played and how to behave like professionals and the wins will follow.

The fact that some people want another young managerial prodigy is astounding in my book. After AVB and now Sherwood I'm ready for an experienced old disciplinarian cunt to whip these pansies into shape and get us playing with some style rather than whinging it from one match to the next. LvG would be a blessing.
I wish i could double rep this post. Sums up my entire idea of how we should proceed come summer.

I think the three veterans who really helped our side in recent years were Davids, Gallas, and Van der Vaart. Davids came in and we had our first two fifth place finishes of this era. He helped a lot with the maturation of our young midfielders like Carrick, Huddlestone, Lennon, and Jenas IMO.

Gallas and VDV came in during the same window and they were unparalleled in importance during our CL run. It is easy to forget just how good Gallas was in Champions League, he was imperious at times. He also got the Captain's band a few times very early in his tenure, shows how important he was. To have a guy who had played in a World Cup final and won the Premier League a couple of times was clearly great for us.

Then with Rafa he was unique because he was a veteran who still had a couple years left of his prime. We were so lucky to get a player like him and it's unlikely we'll find one again. He had the belief and understanding of a man who had played a significant amount at the top levels of football. That belief seeped into the rest of our attack and you could see the confidence he gave everyone else because he had the confidence in his own game which comes from experience. We have no player who has that confidence now. Eriksen flashes it occasionally but he's still a boy and isn't that same inspirational figure as Rafa.

Get some experienced geezers in to show the young lads how football is supposed to be played and how to behave like professionals and the wins will follow.
best we have right now is Ade. It would be a lot worse without him, but we need more than just Ade. Liverpool have a huge advantage over us in this area with Gerrard.

Back
Top Bottom