Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I may be wrong, but all this talk of Van Gaal and Ancelotti seems to be 'pie-in-the-sky' wishful thinking...... seriously, if you were them, would you come to Spurs? We may think we are the best club in the world, but if we took a reality check, we are not top notch. If we were, Modric/Sheringham/Bale/Carrick/Berbatov (the list is endless) would have stayed and we could then consider ourselves real heavyweight contenders. Think we are more likely to get Moyes (deja vu?) or Laudrup or even stick with Timmie. As I said, I may be wrong.......

Hadn't looked at this thread really as I didn't want to get my hopes up...

This post sums up my feelings perfectly.

:eriksenserious:

I think that whoever our new manager is needs to be one that won't fuck the squad up too much. There are only a few true weak spots, with them shored up we'll be a considerably stronger side. There are some managers that might completely miss that point and make some rash consequential decisions.

I think that whoever our new manager is needs to be one that won't fuck the squad up too much. There are only a few true weak spots, with them shored up we'll be a considerably stronger side. There are some managers that might completely miss that point and make some rash consequential decisions.

The one thing I think Redknapp really did well especially in his last season was generally knowing his best XI. Consequently, everyone was comfortable with their position, the players around them, and their roles. Modric created from deep, Parker broke up play, VDV played off the striker, Lennon and Bale ran at fullbacks, Adebayor held up play, Walker and BAE made overlapping runs and developed good understandings with their respective wingers. Everyone had a specifically defined role that they were very comfortable with and we played the best football in the league until Redknapp's off the field problems got in the way.

We mock the "football is simple" nonsense and for the most part we are right. However, when you send out a group of players that are comfortable with each other and their role in the team then football does become much simpler because everyone knows what they need to do even if it isn't massively tactically complex.

Over the last two seasons we've had almost none of this. We've never really come close to finding a best 11 and we have so many players who have no clue what role they should be playing. The jury is still out regarding the positions and roles of Townsend, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Dembele, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Chadli, Lamela, and Holtby. How is that we still don't have any level of comfort in what the best position is for a double digit number of our players. It's no wonder we've looked so disjointed so often over the last 2 years. Too many players don't know what their role in the team is supposed to be.

We need a manager who is flexible and comes in and builds a squad around the players that we have. For the most part, every player needs to be assigned a role and position so they are able to get comfortable with their responsibilities. Of course it's good to have a couple versatile utility guys but we have far too many ATM.

Our next manager also needs to sort out a best eleven real quick. The same core of players should be playing 95% of league games. Of course squad rotation is important, but it needs to be done with 1-2 changes per game not the 4-5 changes from game to game we've been seeing (cup games are different I'm referring to league games). A settled first eleven is paramount, just look at Liverpool this season.

Overall, we need some stability. Give players roles, settle your starting lineup, and play a style that fits your players. Under AVB our style was so rigid that we had a terrible time breaking down teams but faired okay against better sides. With Sherwood we are so lacking in structure that we can largely beat teams worse than us due to sheer ability but are completely lost against good teams. The worst part is under both the players look like they aren't comfortable at all with what their role is and what the fuck they are supposed to be doing. We need to find the balance and put our squad in a system and style they understand and enjoy playing.

The one thing I think Redknapp really did well especially in his last season was generally knowing his best XI. Consequently, everyone was comfortable with their position, the players around them, and their roles. Modric created from deep, Parker broke up play, VDV played off the striker, Lennon and Bale ran at fullbacks, Adebayor held up play, Walker and BAE made overlapping runs and developed good understandings with their respective wingers. Everyone had a specifically defined role that they were very comfortable with and we played the best football in the league until Redknapp's off the field problems got in the way.

We mock the "football is simple" nonsense and for the most part we are right. However, when you send out a group of players that are comfortable with each other and their role in the team then football does become much simpler because everyone knows what they need to do even if it isn't massively tactically complex.

Over the last two seasons we've had almost none of this. We've never really come close to finding a best 11 and we have so many players who have no clue what role they should be playing. The jury is still out regarding the positions and roles of Townsend, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Dembele, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Chadli, Lamela, and Holtby. How is that we still don't have any level of comfort in what the best position is for a double digit number of our players. It's no wonder we've looked so disjointed so often over the last 2 years. Too many players don't know what their role in the team is supposed to be.

We need a manager who is flexible and comes in and builds a squad around the players that we have. For the most part, every player needs to be assigned a role and position so they are able to get comfortable with their responsibilities. Of course it's good to have a couple versatile utility guys but we have far too many ATM.

Our next manager also needs to sort out a best eleven real quick. The same core of players should be playing 95% of league games. Of course squad rotation is important, but it needs to be done with 1-2 changes per game not the 4-5 changes from game to game we've been seeing (cup games are different I'm referring to league games). A settled first eleven is paramount, just look at Liverpool this season.

Overall, we need some stability. Give players roles, settle your starting lineup, and play a style that fits your players. Under AVB our style was so rigid that we had a terrible time breaking down teams but faired okay against better sides. With Sherwood we are so lacking in structure that we can largely beat teams worse than us due to sheer ability but are completely lost against good teams. The worst part is under both the players look like they aren't comfortable at all with what their role is and what the fuck they are supposed to be doing. We need to find the balance and put our squad in a system and style they understand and enjoy playing.
Hey, cool it with the word count, bitch. I've got a reputation to uphold here.

I've got a funny feeling we will end up with Rafa Benitez...
I have been dead against him form day one but could he do a job for us?
He's a proven winner, a respected coach and has vast premier league experience.
This is the type of manager we need, the only reason I have been against him is his style of football has always been a bit dull.
Phil Thompson has said he is still in touch with Benitez and he would jump at the chance to manage us, I just have a feeling this is the type of manager Levy would go for.
I'm still not sure what I think about him but I would have him over Moyes any day.

Exactly ! Liverpool have shown the way.

I've got a funny feeling we will end up with Rafa Benitez...
I have been dead against him form day one but could he do a job for us?
He's a proven winner, a respected coach and has vast premier league experience.
This is the type of manager we need, the only reason I have been against him is his style of football has always been a bit dull.
Phil Thompson has said he is still in touch with Benitez and he would jump at the chance to manage us, I just have a feeling this is the type of manager Levy would go for.
I'm still not sure what I think about him but I would have him over Moyes any day.
He has been my preference all along (for all the reasons above). LVG just thought sadly he thinks us below him - ego and all says it all + if I was Levy all the talk about youth, well that is sometime ago & Levy doesn't need him to rage at media - let him go to ManU.
Benitez for me. As a backup Prandelli, then Pochetino

I'd like Benitez - but I have concerns that he'd divide fans and I'm not sure how he'd work with baldini.
Tbh I think if the latter is here to stay then he needs to hire the manager.

I can see him going to Villa or Newcastle and doing a similar job to the one he did at Everton.
That was my exact thinking. Villa would be Everton MKII, Newcastle something of a step up in so much as resources etc.

I figured one of them or Celtic if Lennon goes to Norwich

I'd like Benitez - but I have concerns that he'd divide fans and I'm not sure how he'd work with baldini.
Tbh I think if the latter is here to stay then he needs to hire the manager.

The fans have been divided over our last 3 managers, would be fantastic if the new manager can unite us again.

Benitez has plus points and is certainly an excellent coach - but he isnt Spurs for me. I recall the year he got Liverpool to 2nd (I think) they were top scorers in the division, and yet somehow the most boring team to watch at the same time!

His transfer policy at Pool was an absolute mess and he wasted millions. When he left they werent exactly in good shape.

He has cracked under pressure before. Spurs is a very pressured job.

Back
Top Bottom