Man Utd Vs Tottenham, Sat 12th March - 5:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The best thing about our performance was our passing. It has improved massively under Conte. Today we were pinging medium-long passes accurately all game. We did play better than them, but crucially we didn't defend well. You can't ship 3 goals and win many games.

We need the back 3 CBs to step out into midfield effectively. Bentancur seemed off the pace early on, and didn't stop the pass or mark Ronaldo for the first. Instead of Bentancur leaving Ronaldo, we needed Davies to step out and meet Fred. Romero needs to improve tracking runners at set pieces. And Reggie, first game back, he didn't cover himself in glory passing to Pogba then leaving his foot offside on their resulting break. Small margins, it was a fraction of a second too slow from Reggie. More frustrating was not being able to capitalise on the Winks pass at the end.

All in all, there are positives in the way we set up and played. 3 additional key players through the spine of the team and we will be far stronger - a tall commanding CB who's good in the air. Another midfielder. And a forward who can find the net.

All in all, there are positives in the way we set up and played. 3 additional key players through the spine of the team and we will be far stronger - a tall commanding CB who's good in the air. Another midfielder. And a forward who can find the net.
surely right back and potentially left wing back is the priority?

.. and yet, has been MIA for months.

Were we unlucky to concede 3? Yes. Could we have done better than mark one of the best headers of the ball ever with Doherty, or give him all the space & time in the world for the first goal?

Yes. Other teams have defended against him more effectively. We switched off and made mistakes, so he punished them.
Lets be honest - when Ronaldo's on form, no defender and/or defense is going to stop him. He was world class today. He's not like Kane or Son where a little pressure and decent defending is all that's needed to stop them.

Last game against us, he put Skipp in a fucking blender in a "welcome to the big leagues" moment for our man.

they won because they have one of the worlds best ever players who stepped up to the plate yesterday (that is something Kane can't do, Kane is a very good player but not in Ronaldo class)
what troubled be was why did Dier turn sidewards when Ronaldo shot, face on be big maybe the shot would have hit him and gone wide
Son is out of form and needs to be rested by we have no-one to take his spot

Made plans with my deaf as a post father to watch Spurs today at 430pm.
He clearly heard none of our conversation midweek.

Just looked to see who is actually playing at 430pm today.

FFS.

It doesn't make sense to blame the defence "irrespective of the quality of any strike or striker". Sometimes a world class player will do something that any defender or goalkeeper who is not world class can do much about about. The first goal was exactly that. The 3rd goal was a fuck up, but with Ronaldo being the best attacking header of a ball in the world, as he has been for 15 years, meant we got punished for it more than we would in any other match.

Do you not think that, on the balance of the play over 90 mins, we deserved to win? If not then fine - the beautiful game, we all see it differently - but for me, a realist if ever there was one, we were by far the better team tonight.

Deserved gave us how many points? Undoubtedly and to an extent we turned up. Some crumbs.

But that was a fragile United and regardless of Ronaldo's freakish desire and quality he is still 37 years of age.

.. and yet, has been MIA for months.

Were we unlucky to concede 3? Yes. Could we have done better than mark one of the best headers of the ball ever with Doherty, or give him all the space & time in the world for the first goal?

Yes. Other teams have defended against him more effectively. We switched off and made mistakes, so he punished them.

100% this.

Why us, because a player of Ronaldo's quality knows this is THFC with players who will make my job easier than what it might be.

And we did and do, far too often.

Skipp being out for so bloody long hasnt helped, PEH plays like a pensioner.

Him being out has been a disaster for us. If we look back to when conte first came in it looked like Skipp was the first name on the team sheet pretty much. Conte has been very vocal as to how annoyed he is that Skipp isn’t fit.

Need him back asap and probably for next Sunday but is he even back in full training yet?

cr7 is finished just like kulusevski is slow
this forum have huge mystic power

another good performance with 0 points earned
I hope that conte's work on the team begin to be shown next season also in results

Deserved gave us how many points? Undoubtedly and to an extent we turned up. Some crumbs.

But that was a fragile United and regardless of Ronaldo's freakish desire and quality he is still 37 years of age.
Why dismiss him because of his age? It's clear he is a physical phenomenon and the ultimate winner, he would embarrass many players in their early 20's.

Lets be honest - when Ronaldo's on form, no defender and/or defense is going to stop him. He was world class today. He's not like Kane or Son where a little pressure and decent defending is all that's needed to stop them.

Last game against us, he put Skipp in a fucking blender in a "welcome to the big leagues" moment for our man.

To an extent yes.

Ronaldo transcends most but he is 37 and can be bullied and nullified to an extent.

The problem with us is that he need fear nothing because we make it too easy.

I bet Ronaldo wishes he could play us each week, as would Rangnick.

surely right back and potentially left wing back is the priority?

On the basis we concede too many goals, a CB seems vital. Depending on who we sell maybe we’ll add some guile down the wings. Doherty and Sessengnon are decent. And Reggie and Royal will improve in the role with a preseason. Personally I’d use Royal as a CB, and either add a player or repurpose Moura or Bergwjin as a RWB

Funny how differently we all see the game. I thought we were reasonably good tonight. United were useless, and on the balance of play a scoreline something like 3-1 to us would have been a fair reflection of the play. Yes there were some poor performances - Docherty actually looked quite good first half, but useless in the second. Bentancur had a terrible first 15 mins and most of the second half (but has shown enough previously to suggest he will be a good player for us). The way people are posting on here you'd think we'd been battered - far from it, we absolutely deserved to win that game. It's shit, but it happens. I'll still be amazed if we finish below United - they are much worse than us right now, they just got very lucky tonight, and happened to get Ronaldo on a day when he scores a hatrick - he won't do that every game, we just got him on the unlucky night when he did.

Quick shout out for PEH - he gets so much stick on here, perhaps lots of it valid, but I thought he was our best player tonight, tough in his tackles, kept the energy up, excellent short and long passing most of the game. I'll probably get some stick from his haters for saying that, but I can only say what I see in any given match.

Ronaldo 3-2 Tottenham

The guy scored 3 goals with an xg of 0.85
Other than that they were no threat.

On the basis we concede too many goals, a CB seems vital. Depending on who we sell maybe we’ll add some guile down the wings. Doherty and Sessengnon are decent. And Reggie and Royal will improve in the role with a preseason. Personally I’d use Royal as a CB, and either add a player or repurpose Moura or Bergwjin as a RWB
Doherty is decent?

TAA, Cancelo and James are decent…. This simpleton is not fit to polish their boots ffs

Is everything ok at home?

Back
Top Bottom