Martin Jol on Spurs (his favourite club) and Ajax and our ex Ajax Players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love Martin Jol. After years of being shit we were finally on the right path under him and looking up and not down. It was the last time everyone was completely together and on the same page. The ground has never been like it was in the Jol years. There was no twitter then to encourage negativity either.

After a game Martin goes to speak to the ref

MJ "ref, am I allowed to tell you that you were shit?"

Ref. "No Martin and if you do I will report you to the FA"

MJ "Am I allowed to think it?"

Ref. "You can think what you like, I can't stop you"

MJ. "OK ref, I think you were shit"

I love Martin Jol. After years of being shit we were finally on the right path under him and looking up and not down. It was the last time everyone was completely together and on the same page. The ground has never been like it was in the Jol years. There was no twitter then to encourage negativity either.

Much overlooked but we achieved 2 x 5th place finishes under Martin Jol - at the time our highest finishes for something like 20 years. And in the Lasagnegate season we were in 4th position until the last day of the season.

Before Martin Jol we had become a mid table and even below mid table club , and since him a consistent top 6 and now top 4 club. He really was a step chsange up for Spurs. And a lovely bloke too

How could anyone not love the big guy? A real class act and such a shame that it ended the way it did. His continued love for the club shows the measure of the man.

Loved the Jol era.....took us to 1pt off the scum after the dark ages of finishing 40pts behind them, and took us into Europe.

Had the best home atmosphere in the PL, even rivals vouched for that.

Jol always has a place at Spurs for me, he started this journey.

Martin Jol on supporting and managing Spurs, and our ex Ajax players who he helped to develop at Ajax, not to mention the ex Fulham players we bought when Jol was manager there.

A good read.

Martin Jol on Spurs' former Ajax trio :

Jol on Vertonghen...
Like Christian, he is so cool, almost cold. He doesn’t feel any pressure. He was a left-back and a midfielder, but I made him a centre-back and he was so good next to Toby Alderweireld.

Jol on Alderweireld...
I put him in the team as a regular and he and Vertonghen played together. Toby was 20 and Jan was 21. We only conceded four goals at home all season.

Jol on Eriksen...
David Silva is an unbelievable player, but Manchester City are still Manchester City when he is out. Tottenham are different when Christian isn’t playing, which is why I believe he is the best midfielder of his type in England.

Well it wasn't the clubs finest hour the way we got rid of him. Deserved much better and shows what a big man he is that he doesn't seem consumed with bitterness.
Was a big fan of his and still am.:bmj:

I fucking love Martin Jol.

99e9a7d804dec782cf16bee7012847bb.jpg

We were lucky that Santini was so bad, a real shame Arnesen jumped ship as I would have liked to see where the partnership would go to.

I never enjoyed supporting spurs as much as I did under Jol - Success can be progress and we made so much under him. Best Atmosphere I remember at WHL was losing (SF?) to Seville, 60 minutes of MJ blue and white army.

He could've been bitter after the way he was sacked, but he is always positive about Spurs, says a lot about his character, should've chinned Wenger though.

He won't go down as the greatest manager, but for me he is certainly one of the most likeable.

Not the best but I'd argue one of our most important in recent history

We were lucky that Santini was so bad, a real shame Arnesen jumped ship as I would have liked to see where the partnership would go to.

I never enjoyed supporting spurs as much as I did under Jol - Success can be progress and we made so much under him. Best Atmosphere I remember at WHL was losing (SF?) to Seville, 60 minutes of MJ blue and white army.

Jol on Eriksen...
David Silva is an unbelievable player, but Manchester City are still Manchester City when he is out. Tottenham are different when Christian isn’t playing, which is why I believe he is the best midfielder of his type in England.
This so true - beyond belief

Shows how little some fans truly understand about the game saying we're better off without him

Just read that Martin Jol was Manager at Hamburg when Son was there.

That makes it 5 players that Jol helped develop before they came to Spurs - Vertonghen, Aldereireld, Eriksen ( all at Ajax), Dembele ( Fulham) and Son (Hamburg).

that's half the starting X1 !

A phenomenal effect on Spurs both as manager - and than developing players who would later join Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom