Martin Jol's Blue and White Army

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hypothetically, if you could straight swap Harry for Martin Jol would you do it?

I think I would. I know Harry is technically a better manager in terms man management and arguably tactics, but he was so much more of a likeable character and as has been said before actually made it feel like he was 'one of us' (none of this they/them shit that we get from Harry now).

I understand what people say about us overachieving under Jol and I do remember some of his poor tactical decisions but it was a lot easier to forgive with him than it is with Harry.

This isn't at all to do with our recent form, in fact even at the high points of this season I'd have said the same and I genuninely think there was more of a 'feel good factor' around the club in general when Jol was in charge.

If it was a competition to see who you would most want to give you a bear hug then Jol wins every day but I don't really care about being liked anymore - I want trophies and lots of fucking money to roll around on my bed with

I suppose you could ask, "Could Jol get this squad into the Champions League" he took a much more inferior squad to within a lasagne of 4th in an arguably stronger league season.....

It will all be irrelevant in a few games anyway as Redders is off to manage the other bunch of perennial underachievers.

Dannyboy said:
If it was a competition to see who you would most want to give you a bear hug then Jol wins every day but I don't really care about being liked anymore - I want trophies and lots of fucking money to roll around on my bed with

I honestly think he would do just as good of a job as Redknapp if he had our current squad, bearing in mind the squad he had to work with in his time with us (Y P Lee / Stalteri / Zokora / Reid / Murphy etc etc)

At the time we had lower expectations, I would have more faith in Redknapp to win a vital game than Jol. His teams are inconsistent, although we're in a shit run at least we're a lot more solid with Redknapp at the helm.

Smolik said:
Dannyboy said:

I honestly think he would do just as good of a job as Redknapp if he had our current squad, bearing in mind the squad he had to work with in his time with us (Y P Lee / Stalteri / Zokora / Reid / Murphy etc etc)

He actually rated Y P Lee and said he was the most underrated player in the squad

Dru said:
Smolik said:
Dannyboy said:

He actually rated Y P Lee and said he was the most underrated player in the squad

I rated him at the time aswell, but he's not in the same league as our current left back :bae:

(I know Benny was around at the time but he's a different player now)

You say we had YP Lee, Stalteri, Zokora etc. Remind me who signed these guys? Yup, Jol. And it's not as if some of those players came cheap. The fact is that Harry has bought better and he's a considerably better manager. Jol is more likeable, but that's just not enough these days sadly.

And we almost finished 4th in the lasagne year because Woolwich were dog-shite (bit like now) and there was no City back then.

EssexYid said:
You say we had YP Lee, Stalteri, Zokora etc. Remind me who signed these guys? Yup, Jol. And it's not as if some of those players came cheap. The fact is that Harry has bought better and he's a considerably better manager. Jol is more likeable, but that's just not enough these days sadly.

And we almost finished 4th in the lasagne year because Woolwich were dog-shite (bit like now) and there was no City back then.

Agree, to a point, but I don't think Jol had the last word when it came to signings, I think a lot of that was down to Commolli. Also we did bring in the likes of Lennon, Bale (although he wasn't the player he is now), Dawson etc during that period.

EssexYid said:

Not sure that comparing Harry and Jol's signings is going to work out well, remembering that a lot of the current squad was bought under Jol.

Assou Ekotto, Bale, Lennon, Kaboul, Dawson, and Huddlestone were all Jol's.

They were Comolli's not Jols.

He's gone on record before saying he didnt want some of the players he ended up getting.

Back
Top Bottom