Match thread: panathinaikos vs tottenham (europa league)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its the old adage, pros they may well be, but if you put them in front of one man and his dog, the performance will suffer. That ground can hold 60,000 +. It had, at a guess, 7 to 9 thousand. Not an excuse but perhaps a lesson.

Thought after the first five minutes we were gonna cruise to a 3-0 or 4-0 as we absolutely battered them. Unfortunately think the players thought the same thing, we ended up absolutely dire all over the pitch by the end. Was a quality goal from them though, I don't think any of ours can take the blame..

Football is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom

The problem with the Europa, most of the teams are assumed to be crap so players never get up for it. I don't advocate the harry "lump on all the youth players and see what happens" approach, but I think you need to mix it up and instill some enthusiasm

Steed_Train said:
The problem with the Europa, most of the teams are assumed to be crap so players never get up for it. I don't advocate the harry "lump on all the youth players and see what happens" approach, but I think you need to mix it up and instill some enthusiasm

Harry treated the competition with contempt and disgust.... and we went out.

AVB is treating it with respect, and we don't seem to be doing much better... (2 points from 2 games is hardly tearing it up!)

so where do you stand on the issue... are we in, or are we out?

Frustrating maybe but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 2 draws yes, thanks to shit officials against Lazio and then our usual complacency after a big win, that led to a draw today.

That is the first time this season they've gone out on the pitch looking like that so it's now a case of how he picks them up/fire rockets up arses. If he does (which he will) then we'll coast it

1882 said:
Steed_Train said:

Harry treated the competition with contempt and disgust.... and we went out.

AVB is treating it with respect, and we don't seem to be doing much better... (2 points from 2 games is hardly tearing it up!)

so where do you stand on the issue... are we in, or are we out?

Don't think any manager in England that gets in Europa frequently has yet figured out how to motivate a team in Europa. If your pushing for CL it can only feel like a runner up prize.

Well that was fucking shit

But....

On the plus side some bloke I work with had this as the last result on an accumulator and won over £400.

He's promised to buy us a few pints tomorrow.

I think the end of matches is just a general issue for us.

Apart from Carlisle we haven't finished any game particularly well yet this season.

I'm not sure how much of it is mental or physical tiredness.

Gotta say... none of THIS felt like a 'second class runner-up' competition/punishment at the time!

1445550_w2.jpg

SpursRoberts_228x314.jpg
article-1088200-02481803000004B0-276_306x420.jpg

RESPECT THE FUCKING COMPETITION YOU'RE IN... we're NOT in the Champions League this season, stop thinking like we are!

1882 said:
Gotta say... none of THIS felt like a 'second class runner-up' competition/punishment at the time!

[ Image ]
[ Image ][ Image ]

RESPECT THE FUCKING COMPETITION YOU'RE IN... we're NOT in the Champions League this season, stop thinking like we are!

I'm inclined to agree, but unfortunately we don't share the same mindset as the overpayed youth of today. Can't expect them to not be premadonnas though when they're paid ludicrous sums of money from such young age and surrounded by agents whispering sweet nothings to them

As I said before the game, AVB needed to pick more players who wanted the opportunity to try and impress AVB. Defoe and Bale have played 90 minutes and for what? Townsend, Sigurdsson and Falque were perfectly good enough to beat Panathinaikos tonight and should have started over Defoe, Bale and Lennon. Most of the players seemed to turn their minds to Villa in the second half. I didn't agree with Harry playing the kids and throwing the competition away, but if Lennon or Bale get injured, we'll need Townsend to start regularly, so surely it's a good idea to start him when the opportunity arises? I'm sure that argument was thrown at Redknapp too at times.

Back
Top Bottom