Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's fairly hilarious, but you should also realise that he might have stated that he has always hated us if he somehow had signed for Woolwich. In the end he is a professional footballer and I'm confident that he will do well for us.
Tbf I'm a lifelong Spurs fan and I hate our fans, manager and owners.

Doherty seems a lot more productive in an attacking sense and isn't as rash defensively. He also offers an aerial threat.
He looked much better as a wing back though so we shall see but i definitely understand why Mourinho wanted him.
He's certainly better in the air.

Going forward they are both playing Wing Back. However, the two teams obviously play different systems. Doherty is asked to support his attack more, so is found coming inside quite a lot, whereas Aurier creates the width so stays on the touchline.

So of Doherty's defending isn't that great, he's body shape is poor, can be found running around the ball almost to get onto his favoured foot (Tripps did this too). His pure defensive numbers, however, which is where your concern was doesn't stick up very well compared to Aurier (whisper this quietly because the narrative surrounding Aurier is utterly insane).......

Serge_Aurier_vs_Matt_Doherty.png

I like Doherty, always have and have posted to this effect numerous times in here for the past couple of years. BUT like I said the two are very similar IMO with Doherty better going forward and Aurier better defensively. This could also be skewed by how the two teams are set-up but (based solely on what we've seen from Jose so far) he'll have Doherty play as a wingback with Davies playing as a FB (mostly sat deep), maybe having more balance in midfield might see Jose release the handbrake and push Davies on too??? But I doubt it.

Going forward they are both playing Wing Back. However, the two teams obviously play different systems. Doherty is asked to support his attack more, so is found coming inside quite a lot, whereas Aurier creates the width so stays on the touchline.

So of Doherty's defending isn't that great, he's body shape is poor, can be found running around the ball almost to get onto his favoured foot (Tripps did this too). His pure defensive numbers, however, which is where your concern was doesn't stick up very well compared to Aurier (whisper this quietly because the narrative surrounding Aurier is utterly insane).......

I like Doherty, always have and have posted to this effect numerous times in here for the past couple of years. BUT like I said the two are very similar IMO with Doherty better going forward and Aurier better defensively. This could also be skewed by how the two teams are set-up but (based solely on what we've seen from Jose so far) he'll have Doherty play as a wingback with Davies playing as a FB (mostly sat deep), maybe having more balance in midfield might see Jose release the handbrake and push Davies on too??? But I doubt it.
So less interceptions, less tackles, less pressing and less successful at running with the ball and gets dispossessed more. Deep breaths, going to trust Jose on this. Hope hes better than Trippier at least.

So less interceptions, less tackles, less pressing and less successful at running with the ball and gets dispossessed more. Deep breaths, going to trust Jose on this. Hope hes better than Trippier at least.
I think he's a good WB like I think Aurier is a good WB (he's more than a year older than Aurier too but figure the £13m we paid is good value even taking into account he'll have zero resale value). Both are better than Tripps.

Wouldn't mind both of them competing for the spot. I think we'll remain very exposed to an injury to him (I know his record is good on that count but at his age, a soft tissue issue takes longer to recover from than when you're younger) if we sell both Aurier and KWP.

Not going over the top with these signings but I’m going to be majorly pissed off if this social distancing is still going on and half the fans miss us lifting the PL trophy at home to Villa next May!

This is not a dig at Poch but Jose seem to have identified areas of the squad that need strengthening and is going out there and getting the best he can for the budget, and before people moan it’s levy’s fault last season with Poch we had a huge transfer kitty last season, I know it’s early days but I’m excited to see us next season with these solid premier league proven additions!
Guess what you’re trying to say is we should have sacked Poch last summer and brought in Jose then....

Guess what you’re trying to say is we should have sacked Poch last summer and brought in Jose then....
How can you justify sacking a manager after getting us to a CL final? I just don’t think recruitment was one of his strongest areas , as much as I liked poch it’s nice to see someone come in and strengthen areas of the squad where everyone can we need it

How can you justify sacking a manager after getting us to a CL final? I just don’t think recruitment was one of his strongest areas , as much as I liked poch it’s nice to see someone come in and strengthen areas of the squad where everyone can we need it
Sorry was a poor joke - should have made it clearer

One need to consider this was Aurier´s best season (in his whole life as player), while it was Doherty´s worst (still very good). And also, Aurier´s very well known mistakes are not translated in stats.

Compare their previous years, just for context.

COYS

Back
Top Bottom