Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I too thought it was a good signing at the time I'm ashamed to admit. Seemed a cheap and reliable solution to the Aurier problem.

But he's so far out of his depth it's unreal. He just does not have the ability to play for us or do what we're asking of him. He's on £65K a week (3 more years on his contract!!!) so he's probably quite happy to endure the nightmare.

I wonder how long the club will persist before cutting their losses? Hope to fuck Royal is a success.

You will be hard pushed to find a player that can sit out for weeks/months and then come into the team and play and absolute blinder. Even lord Harry Kane takes 4 or 5 games to get back up to speed.

Go watch our game against Leicester last season and see that Doherty is a good player.

Clearly there is a fundamental issue with our coaching at the club that has haunted us for a few years; whereas fringe players seem unable to integrate with the matchday squad. We even saw under Poch; that we would concede shortly after we made substitutions.

Root cause - We seem to utilise coaches that adopt a strict organised system. Under Mourinho and now Nuno; we play the 'press trap'; whereas we let the other team have the ball and set traps to try and win back possession and hit them on the break. When our squad gets rotated, the new players never seem on board with the system and inevitably we end up looking poor.

When Wolves sold us Matt Doherty they went straight out and replaced him with Nelson Semedo. No debate needed regarding who got the better of that deal.
Our recruitment in the last four/five years has been absolutely shocking ( why go for Bruno Fernandez when you can have Gedson instead?) Steve Hitchens should have been relieved of his duties some time ago and while the jury is still out on Paratici the early signs are not entirely convincing.

agree with you Hitchen is head of recruitment he should have been sacked years ago
i did say when Paratici came in that he is a conman, for someone on the phone all the time he didn't gey many deals in/out done, we had to pay up Aurie's contract could not even give him away to save his wages
I still don't see why Hoddle isn't in as DoF just listen to him he points out what is going right/wrong as the game is happening,

agree with you Hitchen is head of recruitment he should have been sacked years ago
i did say when Paratici came in that he is a conman, for someone on the phone all the time he didn't gey many deals in/out done, we had to pay up Aurie's contract could not even give him away to save his wages
I still don't see why Hoddle isn't in as DoF just listen to him he points out what is going right/wrong as the game is happening,
Come on man…. I love Hoddle, and perhaps we should utilise him a bit like Pleat as an advisor / scout but as a DOF? Nah

You will be hard pushed to find a player that can sit out for weeks/months and then come into the team and play and absolute blinder. Even lord Harry Kane takes 4 or 5 games to get back up to speed.

Go watch our game against Leicester last season and see that Doherty is a good player.

Clearly there is a fundamental issue with our coaching at the club that has haunted us for a few years; whereas fringe players seem unable to integrate with the matchday squad. We even saw under Poch; that we would concede shortly after we made substitutions.

Root cause - We seem to utilise coaches that adopt a strict organised system. Under Mourinho and now Nuno; we play the 'press trap'; whereas we let the other team have the ball and set traps to try and win back possession and hit them on the break. When our squad gets rotated, the new players never seem on board with the system and inevitably we end up looking poor.

Think we struggle because we've not even got a strong starting 11, let alone quality backups.
Other teams can rotate a lot more than us because they have depth and can trust their squad. We keep shite like Doherty and Winks out for weeks/months and then just throw them back in. Then we see them play badly even by their own standards

One of life's greatest mysteries

Who's shitter. Him or Winks ? (Davies obviously a close 3rd).

Winks infuriates me but honestly some of the things Doherty does seem sunday league. Like he just gives the ball away. Looks inept at defending and the attacking is hit and miss.

LOL at some of the more recent posts as well.
His cross led to a goal. His cross to Rodon should have been for the winner. He didn't make any mistakes that led to chances. He made a couple of good tackles and passed accurately
Has anyone have a link to a stats site?
I reckon his pass completion percentage must be in the 80s and the passes that didn't come off were with Harry in their 3rd.
Solid game as he usually has and we didn't lose yet again when he plays.

Last edited:
One of life's greatest mysteries

Who's shitter. Him or Winks ? (Davies obviously a close 3rd).

Winks infuriates me but honestly some of the things Doherty does seem sunday league. Like he just gives the ball away. Looks inept at defending and the attacking is hit and miss.
His technique when striking the ball is atrocious - he mistimed basic passes.

Just pleased Emerson is looking decent as it means this turd won’t be seen again

Back
Top Bottom