Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really tempted to be a colossal twunt and drag up old posts from people saying Pochettino didn't have a clue, couldn't get it right, couldn't handle the schedule. But it would be moronic. I understand where the fears and doubts come from. But I think Poche has made his point and the faith demanded will now be shown by the fans.

The man knows what he's doing. We just need to support him while he does it.
I think most people realised that whether he was their first choice or not, he needed time and the fans backing. I think he's getting both and now that the team are beginning to understand what he wants and expects will get better still.

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/s..._can_his_squad_handle_the_work_load_1_3906810

Good round-up from Ben Pearce on the first half of the season, including exiled players and the mistake of making Kaboul captain. I agree with him..we need some signings if Poch doesn't want to use a large chunk of the current squad.
That's a pretty fair analysis and I agree that we're an injury or two away from being in a really bad spot. It's already evident in the game yesterday with Bentaleb and Mason both out. I'm not going to hold the Kaboul captaincy against him just based upon his tenure at the time, and I don't blame him one bit if he has any hand in keeping some players off on the side if they are not pulling their weight or are possibly detrimental to the team. If you are demanding that much of your players both on and off the pitch, giving a spot to a player who is unwilling to do so could create a domino effect in the team.

I have no real evidence to support this, but I just don't see Poch as being the type of coach to demand the high-ticket transfers that many people like to see and that grabs headlines. I think the work rate and system demands will come first when selecting possible transfers and wouldn't be surprised if we see a few potential gems coming in instead of 1 or 2 bigger signings.

That's a pretty fair analysis and I agree that we're an injury or two away from being in a really bad spot. It's already evident in the game yesterday with Bentaleb and Mason both out. I'm not going to hold the Kaboul captaincy against him just based upon his tenure at the time, and I don't blame him one bit if he has any hand in keeping some players off on the side if they are not pulling their weight or are possibly detrimental to the team. If you are demanding that much of your players both on and off the pitch, giving a spot to a player who is unwilling to do so could create a domino effect in the team.

I have no real evidence to support this, but I just don't see Poch as being the type of coach to demand the high-ticket transfers that many people like to see and that grabs headlines. I think the work rate and system demands will come first when selecting possible transfers and wouldn't be surprised if we see a few potential gems coming in instead of 1 or 2 bigger signings.
I agree. Getting players in who can play his stuff is most important.

I think the most likely incoming players for us will be a pair of central midfielders who can press hard and provide the same kind of forward passing as Bentaleb and Mason. Some extra defensive abilities would also be great, but really, the problem we have is that the system needs two overlapping fullbacks, and two midfielders who press hard and get the ball forward quickly. We only have one suitable right back, and one pair of midfielders which can do this, it seems. And without them, the whole crazy system falls to pieces.

Hoddle was raving about Poch on the Spurs Show many moons ago, and that was the first time I thought he may be a decent boss (off subject- I love Hoddle and think he should still be England boss). I have to admit I watched Southampton twice last year and they lost both games. I'm satisfied and there seems to be good team chemistry which is just as vital as talent. My eyes are still very much on levy. We can all identify some concerns in our squad and we know we've got a bit to spend. Two or three signings could see us sneak top 4. We've climbed the table this December partly because we've been playing as many games on as many days rest as our peers. The heavy work load is coming. Will we have enough to push through?

I think the most likely incoming players for us will be a pair of central midfielders who can press hard and provide the same kind of forward passing as Bentaleb and Mason. Some extra defensive abilities would also be great, but really, the problem we have is that the system needs two overlapping fullbacks, and two midfielders who press hard and get the ball forward quickly. We only have one suitable right back, and one pair of midfielders which can do this, it seems. And without them, the whole crazy system falls to pieces.
I understand where you're coming from but I'm not sure that's our biggest concern. I'm a fan of both Stambouli and Capoue, but I'm not sure if Capoue has a place any longer for whatever reason. At least Stambouli seems to be getting slightly more time lately and features on the bench, so you have him as a third. Dembele isn't my first choice but I rate him far better than Paulinho at least.

As for the fullbacks, Davies has been really growing on me and seems to be settling in nicely, and Walker is pretty solid although still not up to par from last year. Rose is generally worthless, but I will say that I though he put in a really good shift against the Chavs. As a backup, Rose is fine and I just don't like Naughton but I don't know if anyone does.

The striker situation has to be fixed though. Ade is MIA and who knows if we'll ever see him play again, Bobby just can't get it going, and we're so reliant on just Kane. Something has to give and I think that we need at least one more reliable striker. Bobby just isn't it. I like him and I'm not screaming for him to be sold, but he's been given enough time, support, and chances and STILL cannot make it work. I really can't remember another player that has been given as many chances as him and has gotten a pass for as long as he has as well. I think Poch knows this as well, and wouldn't be surprised if we just cut our losses at some point with both him and Ade.

Not sure where to put this, so will just dump it here.

Are Tottenham on the edge of glory this season?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30862958
No. We are not. We have a new manager with a squad he inherited from a combination of the last 2 or 3 managers. He has us 5th in the league & still in all the competitions we can be in. Are we on the edge of glory this season? No. I expect us to win a trophy & finish where we are. If we achieve neither, it's no disaster. If I'm posting this same thing next year then I'm getting anxious. We have, it seems, a manager who has a philosophy we can understand. As can the players. It's likely to take time & if we win anything this year I'd be delighted. It would make a change. We can't expect more from Poch. I was a huge dissenter when we got him. But I now think he is the right man & to heap "glory" on him as an immediate requirement is fuckin daft. Let him get us far as we can as often as we can this year & que sera. Then give him the cheque book in the summer & let's see if we can go to the next level or whether we have another manager with the last managers signings to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom