Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Or maybe it's just because the players are good?

Because there's a clear identity to Poch's teams (yes that was lost in the last 18mth, just as it did with Klopp in his last season at Dortmund, another manager who's teams have strong identities). The theory is imagine what a manager capable of "coaching" players to be greater than the sum of their parts can do with a hugely talented squad at their disposal.
But, again, they've already tested the whole "Zindane isn't actually doing anything, it's just the players" theory. And won fuck all. ZZ returns and voila, trophies again likely.

I suppose I'm more of a "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" person. It's working with Zidane, why give that up because you think that nice manager everyone loved a few seasons ago who has never won a trophy in his entire career *might* come in and...do what? Aside from a treble winning season, there's not much room to improve upon ZZ's results.

Of course, therein lies the cult of Pochettino - everything but results.

Bang on. Apart from the press which we stopped doing about three year ago, I don’t know what identity we had.

A diamond was the last thing I remember being associated with.
Just “having an identity” isn’t always a good
thing.

Id rather have Zidanes teams identity.

But, again, they've already tested the whole "Zindane isn't actually doing anything, it's just the players" theory. And won fuck all. ZZ returns and voila, trophies again likely.

I suppose I'm more of a "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" person. It's working with Zidane, why give that up because you think that nice manager everyone loved a few seasons ago who has never won a trophy in his entire career *might* come in and...do what? Aside from a treble winning season, there's not much room to improve upon ZZ's results.

Take that up with Florentino Perez mate, has fuck all to do with me, I just posted a snippet of news that's coming out of Spain.

I can assure you 90% of Madrid fans would trade Zidane for Poch immidiately.

Zidane is solid coach. But he had AMAZING group of players. He's brilliant man manager. Tactics not so much. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT.

Zidane is solid coach. But he had AMAZING group of players. He's brilliant man manager. Tactics not so much. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT.
I sincerely doubt whether Poch would've won the CL once with Real, let alone 3 times - in a row - like Zidane did.

Poch never once had a plan B, and was chronically derided for the lack of impact his substitutions made in matches. His teams had an "identity" in that they played a certain way...whether that way actually worked on the day or not.

I loved Poch, and I still very much like him. His name is still incorporated in a few passwords of mine. But sacking a manager that's won more trophies in the past 4 years than any in the world to appoint a serial almost-man who has never demonstrated any knack for winning meaningful matches or proven a tactical intelligence just seems to be lunacy.

I sincerely doubt whether Poch would've won the CL once with Real, let alone 3 times - in a row - like Zidane did.
No-one will.

But you think Zidane would be great in club like Tottenham or Dortmund?
Doubt it.

Pochettino isn't perfect, but he's a really good coach who lacked serious backing to win us leagie. He almost won CL. Almost yes, and people seem to forget how close we were.

Bill Madrid Bill Madrid would know better, but Zidane isn't what they want and they wanted Poch for a long time.

Bill Madrid Bill Madrid would know better, but Zidane isn't what they want and they wanted Poch for a long time.

Do you mean the fans? They flip-flop on Zidane, they cant slag him off as he's a legend as both player and coach but they are forever fluttering their eyelashes at whoever the current flavour of the month is, previously Pochettino (no so much now I don't think), now Nagelsmann.

The media go along with this, more cautiously perhaps, while what's going on in Florentino Pérez's head is anyone's guess

I haven't seen much of them this season, in fact, I've only seen them in the CL. I was impressed with their pressing against City in the first half, I don't think I've ever seen this squad do that (maybe they are this season in the league??) but having said that City were the team in control even without the ball.
They've been a bit like Son's scoring form. Go a few weeks with comfortable wins. Then a few weeks where things look shifty. I do think that Zidane coming back is a factor. He doesn't have the same standing in the dressing room since he already walked out once.

For comparison when Jose returned to Chelsea he had been gone for a long time so it was essentially a fresh start.

What tactics did Poch employ that were so great after his training methods led to a situation where his players couldn’t actually perform his one useful tactic?

What tactics did Poch employ that were so great after his training methods led to a situation where his players couldn’t actually perform his one useful tactic?
Poch had 90% of the same squad during his 5-6 years here.
Klopp, Pep or even fuxking Chelsea change a lot during years.

People get bored. It's natural. Poch gave us CL final, something we were dreaming of. Now you and similar to you are killing him because he didn't win it. Like we were supposed to be ther in the first place.

Just have some respect will you?

Poch had 90% of the same squad during his 5-6 years here.
Klopp, Pep or even fuxking Chelsea change a lot during years.

People get bored. It's natural. Poch gave us CL final, something we were dreaming of. Now you and similar to you are killing him because he didn't win it. Like we were supposed to be ther in the first place.

Just have some respect will you?
So you said he gave us an identity but then give an excuse as to why he couldn’t

He didn’t win the CL because he was not tactically good enough to think outside of “Harry Kane can walk so I’ll play him”

So you said he gave us an identity but then give an excuse as to why he couldn’t

He didn’t win the CL because he was not tactically good enough to think outside of “Harry Kane can walk so I’ll play him”
As I said, have some respect. You were dreaming about CL final. The game was balanced. Stupid pen killed it. Stop with nonsense.

He gave us an identity, we were a young, high pressing side that played attractive football.

He gave us an identity, we were a young, high pressing side that played attractive football.
Yeah and when his training methods meant that we could only press for one season, then what?

We didn’t press for 3 years. What was our identity those years?
You said we were a young side.....why couldn’t we press for another few years?

Where was plan b? The diamond?

Yeah and when his training methods meant that we could only press for one season, then what?

We didn’t press for 3 years. What was our identity those years?
You said we were a young side.....why couldn’t we press for another year?
We pressed for a good 2-3 years, not sure what the fuck you talking about.

Back
Top Bottom