Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch is 6/4 favourite to be the next Man City manager.
Viera is second favourite at 5/1.

I would much rather take the City job than the Barca job if given the option between the two.

Not sure that Pep would go back because he must see the disaster that Barca is and it would be a legit chance to put a bit of a black mark on his record as I doubt many people will feel sorry for him that Barca is in the mess they are in.

Possibly however, that's a much bigger job than when Pep was there before, almost a complete rebuild needed.

Perhaps Pep to Roma or he might take time out as he did between Barca and Bayern.
Might be just what Pep needs though, a little time off from the expectancy of winning things and a chance to create something from nothing. Poch on the other hand would be walking into a pressure cooker.

Setien was only Barcelona's fourth choice. He had never won anything. If Poch gets the gig there, it doesn't necessarily prove much. I think he would be foolish to go there. The player power is off the scale, the politics are toxic, they have a presidential election next year, and they have money problems.

I think something like the Leicester job would be a good fit for him (if Rodgers begins the new season the way he finished the last). And maybe he shouldn't turn his nose up at a second-tier Spanish outfit.

I read that some of the Barca board want Terry Henry. Seriously, that shows why the club is in the mess it's in with choices like that. Talk about lunatics running the asylum

Setien was only Barcelona's fourth choice. He had never won anything. If Poch gets the gig there, it doesn't necessarily prove much. I think he would be foolish to go there. The player power is off the scale, the politics are toxic, they have a presidential election next year, and they have money problems.

I think something like the Leicester job would be a good fit for him (if Rodgers begins the new season the way he finished the last). And maybe he shouldn't turn his nose up at a second-tier Spanish outfit.
Roma would have been great for him. New country, new owners looking to put their stamp on the club etc.

Depending on how Pirlo/Conte start their seasons he could end up at one of the Milan clubs.

PSG should of course also be under consideration depending on Tuchel's future. He has said he wants to work there one day or something like that.

I agree with the first part. Anyone who takes the Barca job now is a dead man walking unless he wins La Liga and the Champions League, as long as Xavi is waiting in the wings as the embodiment of the "Barca Way". The slightest sign of trouble and the fans & board members will be begging for Xavi to return as The Saviour.

I also think Juve would have been a clusterfuck for Poch because of Ronaldo and their financial situation.

But he clearly wants a top club. From a Spurs perspective, the job I was a little concerned about him taking was Manure, because he could have made them a much more dangerous outfit than Solskjaer ever will.

I believe you are right, but is he right to hold out for one? As good as he was for us, he is a deeply flawed coach, IMO.
If he wants a top club he should hold out for PSG. He's a former player of theirs and well liked/has done some work for their owners even when employed by us.

He'd be given much more patience there than at Barca.

Why? We sacked him. He’s entitled to do his new job in the best way he can.
Agree, my point was more that he was adamant he wouldn't go the goons like he wouldn't go to Barca out of respect to us or Espanyol. But then again, Jose said he would never manage us! Seems sentiment has no place in football, apart from soppy ol' me!
:allitongue:

Last edited:
I believe you are right, but is he right to hold out for one? As good as he was for us, he is a deeply flawed coach, IMO.
Name me a coach who isn't flawed.
Poch's career is on the upwards trajectory because of what he achieved with us, particularly our style of play and some outstanding big game performances.
He's financially set, so I think he'd be stupid not to wait for a big club to come calling.
After that, maybe he manages Argentina, another big club, and eventually goes back to either Espanyol or Newells.
Fundamentally, he's an emotional guy, and I think the manner of our CL final defeat burnt him out. He lost his MoJo.

Name me a coach who isn't flawed.
Some are more flawed than others. Specifically, I am referring to his tactics, in-game management and ability to be a psychologist to his players.
Fundamentally, he's an emotional guy, and I think the manner of our CL final defeat burnt him out. He lost his MoJo.
If anything burnt him out, I believe it was working with Levy. I think we can certainly say that he was looking elsewhere long before the axe fell. Real Madrid came calling just after he had signed an extension with us, IIRC, and I'd imagine he was kicking himself over the timing of that. Also, after the debacle of the summer of 2018, I believe he was desperate for the Utd job. Utd had been sniffing around him a couple of years before that, but he felt he wasn't ready for a job of that magnitude and had concerns about their player recruitment.
Poch's career is on the upwards trajectory because of what he achieved with us, particularly our style of play and some outstanding big game performances.
I wouldn't say his career is on an upwards trajectory. In fact, I would say it has stalled, at the very least. It looks as though the big clubs have reservations about him. Maybe his stock will never again be as high as it was in 2017. I will follow his next adventure with great interest.

Some are more flawed than others. Specifically, I am referring to his tactics, in-game management and ability to be a psychologist to his players.
Look at Pep's tactical clusterfuck last night. It reminded me of Poch's decision to play Sonny at LWB in that League Cup final.
Poch's in-game management was often poor. But again, look at Pep's stubborn refusal to change things last night even when it was clear they were simply not playing creative, fluid, football because apart from KDB stuck on the right wing, all their playmakers were on the bench.

If anything burnt him out, I believe it was working with Levy. I think we can certainly say that he was looking elsewhere long before the axe fell. Real Madrid came calling just after he had signed an extension with us, IIRC, and I'd imagine he was kicking himself over the timing of that. Also, after the debacle of the summer of 2018, I believe he was desperate for the Utd job. Utd had been sniffing around him a couple of years before that, but he felt he wasn't ready for a job of that magnitude and had concerns about their player recruitment.
I think Poch became increasingly stubborn.
I'm no fanboy of Levy, but he did get him Ndombele, GLC and Sessegnon last summer. It was more than unfortunate that GLC & Sessegnon both got crocked in international tournaments (Copa America and UEFA U21s), and Ndombele turned up unfit.
And I think the stories of Poch declining to turn up personally for training and asking Levy to install cameras in his office so he could watch it from there was a clear sign that his MoJo was gone. He needed a long break and a different challenge.

I wouldn't say his career is on an upwards trajectory. In fact, I would say it has stalled, at the very least. It looks as though the big clubs have reservations about him. Maybe his stock will never again be as high as it was in 2017. I will follow his next adventure with great interest.
Poch is getting linked with the uber clubs because they're all curious about what he could do at that level. Imo his stock remains high, but there is a sell-by date. He needs to be coaching again by next summer or else tell the world he's taking a "Guardiola sabbatical" to recharge his batteries.

Look at Pep's tactical clusterfuck last night. It reminded me of Poch's decision to play Sonny at LWB in that League Cup final.
Poch's in-game management was often poor. But again, look at Pep's stubborn refusal to change things last night even when it was clear they were simply not playing creative, fluid, football because apart from KDB stuck on the right wing, all their playmakers were on the bench.
Yes, it was a whore's abortion. I am not trying to be glib, but you cannot compare Pep with Poch. Pep has been a stinking failure in the CL over the last 9 years, but in that time, he has still managed to win trophy after trophy while serving up fabulously entertaining football. He is a flawed genius, whereas Poch is just a very good coach.
I think Poch became increasingly stubborn.
I think his ego grew significantly during his time with us, and I understand that to an extent.
I'm no fanboy of Levy, but he did get him Ndombele, GLC and Sessegnon last summer.
Too little, too late. We needed far more than 3 senior faces last summer after our catastrophic failure to sign anyone for 18 months. And Sessegon-for my money-is a dud. And neither was it just about whom we did or did not buy; it was about not shifting very many of the average players we had knocking about the place. We needed a savage spring clean.
Poch is getting linked with the uber clubs because they're all curious about what he could do at that level. Imo his stock remains high, but there is a sell-by date.
Have there been any concrete offers? Apart from Monaco? The longer this goes on, the less impressive it looks to me.

One other thing-he won't do it, but I think Poch needs a new backroom team. I think Jesus Perez and co. are adding nothing to the mix.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom