Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The team is toxic

Pogba
Martial
Fred
Etc

Then you have Woodward

I just can’t see it
What were we like under Sherwood? Arguably in a far worse position, especially given that we had only made it into CL once in our entire lifetime, Palace were closer to us in revenue terms than we were to Woolwich! Getting spanked on a regular basis by all of the top clubs, and well beaten by West Ham 3 times in that preceding season. A potential mutiny brewing in the players camp.

Utd are a shitshow right now but they are still one of the top three largest Clubs in the World playing in the biggest League in the World. Without any doubt, the job to turn them around is a bigger challenge than if he went to PSG, City, Barca or Madrid. Assuming there is interest from all of these clubs now (there has been in the past) then if I were him I'd hold out for the City job.

But if Utd is active and if they recognise it's better to act now than wait when those other Clubs may be looking in the weeks to come, then they should do all they can to secure him now because if they are to compete with those other clubs for his signature then they will probably not be as attractive.

What were we like under Sherwood? Arguably in a far worse position, especially given that we had only made it into CL once in our entire lifetime, Palace were closer to us in revenue terms than we were to Woolwich! Getting spanked on a regular basis by all of the top clubs, and well beaten by West Ham 3 times in that preceding season. A potential mutiny brewing in the players camp.

Utd are a shitshow right now but they are still one of the top three largest Clubs in the World playing in the biggest League in the World. Without any doubt, the job to turn them around is a bigger challenge than if he went to PSG, City, Barca or Madrid. Assuming there is interest from all of these clubs now (there has been in the past) then if I were him I'd hold out for the City job.

But if Utd is active and if they recognise it's better to act now than wait when those other Clubs may be looking in the weeks to come, then they should do all they can to secure him now because if they are to compete with those other clubs for his signature then they will probably not be as attractive.
Sherwood was a cheap stopgap for Levy

He had so many months left on his youth team contract which meant Levy got a cheap deal before he appointed Poch

No things weren’t good but I don’t think they were as bad as ManU are

Sherwood was a cheap stopgap for Levy

He had so many months left on his youth team contract which meant Levy got a cheap deal before he appointed Poch

No things weren’t good but I don’t think they were as bad as ManU are
Not really about Sherwood but Spurs. Spurs were miles and miles off the top 5 at the time Poch joined Spurs. Joining Utd today is a better proposition for a manager than joining Spurs in 2014 in just about every metric. Jose has already proven this when he was their manager.

I think your wrong I think just like Jose did he would win things with that squad right now. Ole is useless. But the youth team is producing good prospects that Poch would polish. Pogaba gets binned but the reality is he could get them competing any decent coach could.
Utd are unbalanced in MF and have some old fella up front now. With Poch buying some wingers from Ligue 1, I’m not sure they’d be much better. Hopefully - for Poch - he’s become better at thinking how to balance a team and could do better with stronger investment than some think he had with us.

Having said that, I still think the Utd team are all over the place - but Poch would improve their consistency. Whoever goes there will need to clear out the dross, tho, which includes Pogba imo. Pogba needs to got to RM: he and Zidane deserve each other.

Not really about Sherwood but Spurs. Spurs were miles and miles off the top 5 at the time Poch joined Spurs. Joining Utd today is a better proposition for a manager than joining Spurs in 2014 in just about every metric. Jose has already proven this when he was their manager.
Must be my personal bias then
Fucking hate them

Eh ?

2005/6 - 5th
2006/7 - 5th
2007/8 - 11th
2008/9 - 8th
2009/10 - 4th
2010/11 - 5th
2011/12 - 4th
2012/13 - 5th
2013/14 - 6th
2014/15 - 5th Poch joins

I'd suggest with the exception of the Ramos year and Harry's first year, that Spurs AVERAGE position was 5th for almost the decade before Poch joined............ not 'miles and miles away from top 5th'

Poch also inherited a squad including Lloris, Walker, Rose, Vertonghen, Dembele, Eriksen, Kane, Lamela with Vorm, Davies, Dier and Dele joining that summer who Poch insisted he had no hand in but became main stays of his side over his 6 year reign. So a very decent squad to build round, including 8 or 9 who were consistently in his first 11.

Eh ?

2005/6 - 5th
2006/7 - 5th
2007/8 - 11th
2008/9 - 8th
2009/10 - 4th
2010/11 - 5th
2011/12 - 4th
2012/13 - 5th
2013/14 - 6th
2014/15 - 5th Poch joins

I'd suggest with the exception of the Ramos year and Harry's first year, that Spurs AVERAGE position was 5th for almost the decade before Poch joined............ not 'miles and miles away from top 5th'

Poch also inherited a squad including Lloris, Walker, Rose, Vertonghen, Dembele, Eriksen, Kane, Lamela with Vorm, Davies, Dier and Dele joining that summer who Poch insisted he had no hand in but became main stays of his side over his 6 year reign. So a very decent squad to build round, including 8 or 9 who were consistently in his first 11.
I thought this as well, it’s a myth that we were some mid
Table team before poch!

Eh ?

2005/6 - 5th
2006/7 - 5th
2007/8 - 11th
2008/9 - 8th
2009/10 - 4th
2010/11 - 5th
2011/12 - 4th
2012/13 - 5th
2013/14 - 6th
2014/15 - 5th Poch joins

I was quite clearly speaking with context to revenue of the recognised top six (also see my previous post), us being the 6th. There was a MASSIVE Cassim between us and the others. In fact, I made NO reference to League position. The context is about the "state" of the club in 2014 compared to the "state" of Man U TODAY.

Man U €424m
City €316m
Cavs €303m
Wol €284
Liv €240
-----------
Spurs €172m

That's an €80m less than 5th highest revenue producer €100m!!! less than Woolwich!!

Chrystal Palace's revenue (who had only just come up from the Champ) was €114m, a difference of €58m from our revenues!

Sherwood finished 6th.... Utd. are 15th today.

Regardless doesn't your point depend on the notion that Poch hasn't elevated himself (his stock) since Sutton?

This isn't the fucking context! See response above.

Feel free to come back and disagree with that if you want.

I saw your retort after I posted.

My main point still stands, Mr. Angry.... (see "regardless").

(P.s. You couldn't have been as clear as you think because a bunch of people though otherwise in quick succession.... There was also no mention of club wealth in your post nor that which it was a reply to.... )

I saw your retort after I posted.

My main point still stands, Mr. Angry.... (see "regardless").

(P.s. You couldn't have been as clear as you think because a bunch of people though otherwise in quick succession.... There was also no mention of club wealth in your post nor that which it was a reply to.... )
I did mention that Palace was closer to us in revenue terms than we were to Woolwich.

There was however zero mention of league position from me, but hey you all thought that it was about that, go figure.

Please don't let this get into another forensic deep dive of a misinterpreted sentence that goes on for pages.

For the avoidance of doubt, I believe Man U 2020 is a far more attractive proposition for a Manager than Spurs of 2014. I gave a brief reason in my original post to support why I think this.

I did mention that Palace was closer to us in revenue terms than we were to Woolwich.

There was however zero mention of league position from me, but hey you all thought that it was about that, go figure.

Please don't let this get into another forensic deep dive of a misinterpreted sentence that goes on for pages.

For the avoidance of doubt, I believe Man U 2020 is a far more attractive proposition for a Manager than Spurs of 2014. I gave a brief reason in my original post to support why I think this.

I know what your point is.... You're ignoring my rebuttal..... You don't think Poch is further up the totem pole than in 2014? If you do then, why compare to then?

Last edited:

Took over a club that had finished 6th after a terrible season....,,

....... but miles away from the top 5.

Jesus wept.

Back
Top Bottom