Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He must be waiting to Madrid. But in his shoes I would think it twice, our team has been thoroughtfully demolished and will not be competitive in any near or medium future. He will not last more than a season with that awful squad.

The traitor Raúl will be the one most likely.

The no-show against Liverpool in the CL final actually slightly clouds the memory of the Ajax heroism for me. Liverpool weren't at their best and there for the taking: if we turned up and played well we would have won the match.

I won't disagree that the final was really underwhelming both from a result and performance perspective, but I frankly find that most CL finals are really underwhelming regardless of who plays. In recent years they seem to be really cagey performances and not exciting in the least.

For me, it was the run of really poor performances against mid table or lower sides in the PL that really clouds things for me.

He must be waiting to Madrid. But in his shoes I would think it twice, our team has been thoroughtfully demolished and will not be competitive in any near or medium future. He will not last more than a season with that awful squad.

The traitor Raúl will be the one most likely.
Madrid is a fucking trap.

Going to PSG or Real? Thought this guy was a miracle worker, why the need for an endless money pit?
Should be relishing the chance to genuinely prove himself at Utd.

I think unless he wins something, even at PSG, as long as he builds a legacy rather than just jumping aboard the Globetrotter policy, he will just be remembered in England as the guy who made Spurs play well for a couple years.

Outside of England I think he’s running the risk of becoming a nobody
Which United are you talking about Scunthorpe. Man Utd are hardly paupers and if they replace Ole with a name will probably spend big again, perhaps not wisely but they will spend

Seems he wilted under the pressure when he was here, yet he could possibly go to Real, PSG or ManU, where the pressure and expectation will be higher still?

Wouldn’t he be better to take a step to somewhere with aspirations than expectations? Milan, Roma, Sporting, PSV, etc?

By time he gets a job, he’s going to be a forgotten man. I don’t think he’s doing himself any favours waiting for a golden ticket, he’s just not that level.
Should have just gone to Newcastle and stayed relevant.
And win fuck all there

The no-show against Liverpool in the CL final actually slightly clouds the memory of the Ajax heroism for me. Liverpool weren't at their best and there for the taking: if we turned up and played well we would have won the match.
If he hadn’t threatened to resign before the game we might have turned up

He won’t go to Celtic as they can’t afford him

I don’t really care where he goes tbh

Can't believe the negativity towards Poch. You know it's possible to show Jose some love without trying to diss Poch. The "what has he won" line is so silly. In the last 30 years, apart from a couple of exceptions, it's always the same clubs that have regularly won things irrespective of players/managers they have. And those clubs have been able to win things because they have consistently spent a lot of money trying to win things. That wasn't Espanyol or Southampton. And while we have invested a lot of money recently (during Poch's tenure), a very small percentage of it have been to improve the squad. We've only really started to spend freely in the last 3 windows. Our cumulative net spend in the most recent two windows (Jose) is probably comparable to the total of the 11 under Poch.

Poch did an absolute miracle with what he had. He is the main reason we are part of "the big six" and not looking up towards "the rich five".

Can't believe the negativity towards Poch. You know it's possible to show Jose some love without trying to diss Poch. The "what has he won" line is so silly. In the last 30 years, apart from a couple of exceptions, it's always the same clubs that have regularly won things irrespective of players/managers they have. And those clubs have been able to win things because they have consistently spent a lot of money trying to win things. That wasn't Espanyol or Southampton. And while we have invested a lot of money recently (during Poch's tenure), a very small percentage of it have been to improve the squad. We've only really started to spend freely in the last 3 windows. Our cumulative net spend in the most recent two windows (Jose) is probably comparable to the total of the 11 under Poch.

Poch did an absolute miracle with what he had. He is the main reason we are part of "the big six" and not looking up towards "the rich five".
His accomplishments does not make him free from criticism however, which seems to be the other extreme in this debate.

It is perfectly fine to appreciate what he did for and with us whilst pointing out his flaws. And this of course also applies to Jose. Or any manager for that matter.

Poch was great for us. But he developed a tactical stubbornness as well as a habit of holding off on substitutes for too long, particularly towards the end of his run that probably affect our results.

Doesn't remove what he actually accomplished from the equation tho.

Because of those flaws I think he could struggle at a super club, at least initially. But that doesn't mean I do not want him to try managing one tho or win trophies and be successful. He's young as a manager with room to grow and he would be able to "rehab" himself should he fail at Real Madrid or such.

Last edited:
His accomplishments does not make him free from criticism however, which seems to be the other extreme in this debate.

It is perfectly fine to appreciate what he did for and with us whilst pointing out his flaws. And this of course also applies to Jose. Or any manager for that matter.

Poch was great for us. But he developed a tactical stubbornness as well as a habit of holding off on substitutes for too long, particularly towards the end of his run that probably affect our results.

Doesn't remove what he actually accomplished from the equation tho.

Because of those flaws I think he could struggle at a super club, at least initially. But that doesn't mean I do not want him to try managing one tho. He's young as a manager with room to grow and he would be able to "rehab" himself should he fail at Real Madrid or such.
Not sure I agree that he was stubborn tactically. I'd argue he is/was one of the most tactically versatile managers in the PL in the modern era. Most managers can only play 1 or at max 2 formations. At our peak during Poch era, we'd switch formation three times in a single match and be equally good in all three. We'd switch formation to suit particular opponents or even the nature/situation of the match from occasion to occasion. And while we mostly tried to play possession-based good football, we were also not afraid to mix it up with dark arts, long balls and counter-attacking style if the situation asked for it.

Towards the end of his run, he'd hold off on substitutions because no one on the bench was good enough to come up and change the dynamic of the match (Eriksen aside). The number of injuries we had in our squad in 2018/19 and 2019/20 seasons was absurd. We had 3-4 players out with injury at all points in those two seasons. It all stemmed from our players not getting a pre-season after the 2018 world cup and our failure to refresh the squad in that window. The same thing happened to most clubs this season (no pre-season) - hence so many clubs are struggling with a plethora of injuries at the moment.

But Poch did have flaws. A lot of posters have recently pointed to the relative success of the loan system we have adopted since Jose took over. Sessegnon and Skipp (and KWP) have already improved because of this and hopefully, Parrott will follow. So Poch's insistence on keeping young players at Spurs probably held back a few of them from growing into more matured players. I also felt Poch could've drawn more media attention and put more pressure on the refs to give more protection to our players - especially Kane and Alli. Look at how Kloop reacted when Choudhury clattered Salah and Pickford tackled VVD. Poch could've/should've started a witch hunt on Pickford in 2018 when he made that terrible tackle on Dele and put him out of action for a few weeks.

But it wasn't his flaws that stopped us from winning trophies in the last 5 years. There are probably 5 or 6 bigger reasons than Poch's flaws that held us back from winning trophies.

Back
Top Bottom