Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It happens in football. We'll also win points when we don't deserve them this season.

Yeah yeah, it happens, unlucky us.

One minute we desperatly need signings, the next its "oh well we were unlucky" when we play like shit.

Are things ok or not?

You got people saying we are a very good team in the match thread, then in the transfer thread, shitting their knickers over signings. Jeeez

How can anyone say we deserved 3pts and not mention the first half. Probably the worst 45 minutes of his reign.

Sick to fucking death of all this "err yeah well you know.." nonsense.

Just say we were very poor, and you are happy to come here and get a point and we can try and put things right next week. The table doesnt reflect our performances? Fuck off doesnt it...where should we be?

Top on 9pts in his head?

Joke. Keep picking your Argentinian son, and thats what you get.
Fair enough, as I said I didn't see it.

I do feel for him though. If at the interview he'd been told "Oh and by the way, 3 games into your 2nd season you'll only have one 75% fit striker", I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have taken the job - for better or worse.

Not sure if it's been covered and for me it would have to get horrendous to warrant a re-think on Poch as gaffer but wondered what the general thought was on his future.

I like his ideas on management, not always his subs...like getting the kids on but also feels he's making the side a bit too pretty

Considering we've sold or are trying to sell most of the players that a decent new manager would want to work with, I think Poch would be pleased with our Summer transfer activity so far. Improved his job security greatly.

Our sub scored yesterday. Great.
Yes, it was the sub I called last week but Lamela was deemed a better option and played his worst ever game for us.

Oh look.... Lamela gets a start after last week ahead of Alli and Njie isnt even on the bench. Lamela then plays his second worst game for us (usual standard for him)

So the manager does what even a fan could see, sub him for Alli, and we improve and Alli scores.

Yes, lets laud Pochs vision. I mean, after all, we "deserved to win".

Tick Tock Tick Tock.......seen it all before

Considering we've sold or are trying to sell most of the players that a decent new manager would want to work with, I think Poch would be pleased with our Summer transfer activity so far. Improved his job security greatly.

So you think he's sabotaging the club from the inside, to make his job more secure? :pochfacepalm:

Shit squad = shit results = sacked.

We can't sack another manager after less than a season and a half. Unless he a) completely loses the faith of the players or b) does something off the pitch that fucks with the club (see Nigel Pearson) or c) has us in a relegation battle by Christmas.

Everyone said the guy needs a few years and the club needs some stability. It's amazing how quickly some people chuck their toys out of the pram.

I'm not saying I'm happy with how things are at the moment. It's immensely frustrating. Especially when we see how poss poor our attacking play has been at times. I'm sure the manager isn't sat there thinking that this is the final product we're going for and is working to improve every day. And I don't think saying 'we played well' in a presser is him saying he's satisfied. How many managers come out and say "yeah we were crap" unless they've just had a massive tonking and it's obvious to anyone. (Jose excluded)

So you think he's sabotaging the club from the inside, to make his job more secure? :pochfacepalm:

Shit squad = shit results = sacked.

Nope, that's not what I'm saying but cheers anyway. I'm saying that his tactics and team selection choices are making good players look bad, resulting in sales of established high level players who a new manager would probably want to work with.

Everyone said the guy needs a few years and the club needs some stability. It's amazing how quickly some people chuck their toys out of the pram.
Stability is a luxury in football. How many clubs below us can bring in a manager and expect him to stay for years while he puts in a project? Surely in the modern game a season is the benchmark if there are no signs of improvement?

I think part of the problem is clearly whatever is happening behind the scenes. Poch came in roughly at the start of last summer's transfer window. In that window we signed players that we've sold/want rid of a year. If they were Poch signings then it raises questions about his targets. If they weren't then it raises question about why Levy didn't back the manager last summer and/or why we were letting Baldini control the show after the previous summer's failings. Whichever way you look at it there are clearly problems with our approach to things, problems that go beyond the manager.

I feel as if Levy expects his managers to turn water into wine, as if he expects them to turn around whatever we have, no matter how average it might be. But that's a very big ask when the men you hire are managers of the moment with little proven track record. Poch, like AVB, might be a great coach in the making. But in the short term his experience might not be enough without the proper support. Now, how much support he gets from Levy & Co is the real debate. We do not know what goes on behind closed doors, but I've always felt it comes across as Levy wanting yes men who will accept things done in the manner he envisages and if they don't perform to that standard he gives them the chop like an incompetent corporate executive. Much has been debated about why we canned Redknapp, but I suspect part of the reason was that he was too strong a personality for Levy (same with Sherweasel to some extent).

I think the biggest issue at the moment isn't melters and moaners. I'm certainly not one to succumb to that normally. It's frustration. History is repeating itself. We know how this story ends already....and that, for me, is sucking the life out of supporting an institution that has been a fundamental part of my life for many years. I feel like our progression of a few seasons ago has now stalled and, if anything, there are the first hints of regression. Under such circumstances I think fans have a right to ask questions about how the club is run.

Last edited:
Stability is a luxury in football. How many clubs below us can bring in a manager and expect him to stay for years while he puts in a project? Surely in the modern game a season is the benchmark if there are no signs of improvement?

I think part of the problem is clearly whatever is happening behind the scenes. Poch came in roughly at the start of last summer's transfer window. In that window we signed players that we've sold/want rid of a year. If they were Poch signings then it raises questions about his targets. If they weren't then it raises question about why Levy didn't back the manager last summer and/or why we were letting Baldini control the show after the previous summer's failings. Whichever way you look at it there are clearly problems with our approach to things, problems that go beyond the manager.

I feel as if Levy expects his managers to turn water into wine, as if he expects them to turn around whatever we have, no matter how average it might be. But that's a very big ask when the men you hire are managers of the moment with little proven track record. Poch, like AVB, might be a great coach in the making. But in the short term his experience might not be enough without the proper support. Now, how much support he gets from Levy & Co is the real debate. We do not know what goes on behind closed doors, but I've always felt it comes across as Levy wanting yes men who will accept things done in the manner he envisages and if they don't perform to that standard he gives them the chop like an incompetent corporate executive. Much has been debated about why we canned Redknapp, but I suspect part of the reason was that he was too strong a personality for Levy (same with Sherweasel to come extent).

I think this biggest issue at the moment isn't melters and moaners. I'm certainly not one to succumb to that normally. It's frustration. History is repeating itself. We know how this story ends already....and that, for me, is sucking the life out of supporting an institution that has been a fundamental part of my life for many years. I feel like our progression of a few seasons ago has now stalled and, if anything, there are the first hints of regression. Under such circumstances I think fans have a right to ask questions about how the club is run.

Agreed I think people accusing of other of melting are not looking at this correctly. Most are not having a go at Poch, we want to give him a chance, that's why we are frustrated because we feel he isn't properly backed. We should never go into a season with three positions unfilled (striker, pacey winger, DM) but we have not to mention the shambles of a pre-season.

We have seen this behaviour from Levy many times and it's always the manager that carries the can. Then we sack the manager, get a new one and repeat the process.

Shit squad = shit results = sacked

Last Monday

At the start of the window, how many players did most of you want added to the squad? 4?

We've added 7. I see us signing Berahino and no one else.

The outs have been amazing. The ins have been good (In terms of quality), but the timing has been poor.

I think the results are making the window look worse than it actually is.

Trippier-Toby-Wimmer-?
Ali-Carol
Njie-Pritchard-?
?

Excited for January and next years window, seems like we have a plan and are re-building a club, rather than a first 11. The situation up top might not be great, but I can't remember a recent time when our defensive choices were this good.

We can't sack another manager after less than a season and a half. Unless he a) completely loses the faith of the players or b) does something off the pitch that fucks with the club (see Nigel Pearson) or c) has us in a relegation battle by Christmas.

So....just the three reasons we can sack another then..

How many managers come out and say "yeah we were crap" unless they've just had a massive tonking and it's obvious to anyone.

Plenty of managers say "we were not good enough today"...I havent asked him to say "we were crap".

But "deserved to win"?

Shambolic comment

Defeat against Everton will inevitably bring pressure on Poch. We all know what a hair trigger finger Levy has. I want him to succeed, I think we all do but the continual overlooking of new signings must raise questions. I've not seen anything to suggest Clinton, Trippier, Wimner are injured and some of the squad look (already?) out of sorts. Poch noted his dissatisfaction at letting a lead slip two games running. Surely a change here and there is needed, if nothing else to shake things up?

I feel as if Levy expects his managers to turn water into wine, as if he expects them to turn around whatever we have, no matter how average it might be. But that's a very big ask when the men you hire are managers of the moment with little proven track record. Poch, like AVB, might be a great coach in the making. But in the short term his experience might not be enough without the proper support. Now, how much support he gets from Levy & Co is the real debate. We do not know what goes on behind closed doors, but I've always felt it comes across as Levy wanting yes men who will accept things done in the manner he envisages and if they don't perform to that standard he gives them the chop like an incompetent corporate executive. Much has been debated about why we canned Redknapp, but I suspect part of the reason was that he was too strong a personality for Levy (same with Sherweasel to come extent).

I think this biggest issue at the moment isn't melters and moaners. I'm certainly not one to succumb to that normally. It's frustration. History is repeating itself. We know how this story ends already....and that, for me, is sucking the life out of supporting an institution that has been a fundamental part of my life for many years. I feel like our progression of a few seasons ago has now stalled and, if anything, there are the first hints of regression. Under such circumstances I think fans have a right to ask questions about how the club is run.
As l am a prime example of a super melt , win or loose this will never change .
The continue root problem is the strategy of the owners regarding the club.
While they wait for their golden opulence windfful , suckers like myself have to feed on a cycle
of self implosion , crap football , no game changing players , selling our best , prospect pups ,
Trophy less culture , given up on Champs league but pay top 4 prices etc.
In others words " they piss on us "

Back
Top Bottom