Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Besides... after years of missing out on player targets 'cos we werent a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE club ('cos EVERYONE ONLY wants to play on the CL, right kids?) it'll be nice to hold some of the cards for once... especially if City pip Utd to 4th!!
It will be interesting how many 'top' players join Chelsea this year on £200k a week without champions league, the go too excuse for any player wanting to leave..

This is very much refusing to see the negative.

The timing is bad, and when we went to Poch and offered him a better deal than the Saints he took it straight away. It quite clearly gives out a bad signal. Fact is that United have the cash and profile we don't, no matter how exciting our project is.

Poch needs to sign his new deal, because until he does this is going to hang around him like a bad smell.

Poch didn't leave Southampton because we gave him a better deal. He left because they didn't back their chairman and didn't retain him. Poch even stated publicly in advance that he was likely to leave if the chairman did. If Cortese had remained at Southampton it's quite possible that Pochettino would still be there and we'd have a different manager.

Mauricio Pochettino will leave Southampton if Nicola Cortese quits the club

While it's not outside the realm of possibility, Poch has no history of doing the kind of thing as a manager that people are now fretting over. His history is quite the opposite. He has shown to be pretty forthcoming in the press when it comes to his employment status. It's natural to assume the worst, but for me he gets the benefit of the doubt.

If anyone thinks that Poch wasn't being sounded out for the Man U job either next season or possibly the season after doesn't know how Fergusson has operated all his career. Whether Poch signs his new deal or not, no way Fergusson didn't have an agenda whilst having lunch with "the best manager in the premier league".

If anyone thinks that Poch wasn't being sounded out for the Man U job either next season or possibly the season after doesn't know how Fergusson has operated all his career. Whether Poch signs his new deal or not, no way Fergusson didn't have an agenda whilst having lunch with "the best manager in the premier league".

How has Ferguson operated throughout his career?

And what's to stop him phoning Poch?

How has Ferguson operated throughout his career?

And what's to stop him phoning Poch?
I meant that he's had chats with players from other clubs before without the parent clubs knowledge or consent. Of course he's not the first or last to do so, it goes in all the time but I was making the point that an innocent lunch makes for an ideal opportunity to sound a manager out. They are obviously not desperate to secure Jose's signature and Poch would be exactly what Utd need. I don't believe for a second that Fergie wouldn't pass up the opportunity.

Press Association Sport understands, however, that it was Pochettino who set up the get-together with the former United boss and that he was open about it from the start, informing Tottenham last week that the meeting was going to take place.

The pair have spoken before at League Managers Association events and it is believed they organised a few times to meet socially, only to have to cancel due to other commitments.

Sources say Pochettino was determined to keep to the arrangement on this occasion, insisting he had nothing to hide. The fact they met in central London, and in the middle of the day, would certainly suggest there was no intention to keep it secret.

Pochettino revealed on April 29 his verbal agreement over a two-year contract extension until 2021, and said at the time he expected it to be made official within a few days.

Tottenham remain relaxed about the delay and believe the deal could be confirmed before Sunday's final game of the season at Newcastle, although next week may be more likely.

After announcing his plan to stay at White Hart Lane almost two weeks ago, Pochettino cited Ferguson as an example of the rewards longevity can bring.

"Alex Ferguson is a very special person. He was given the security to build his legacy at Manchester United," Pochettino said.

"But I believe we are special too and we can build it here together."

I meant that he's had chats with players from other clubs before without the parent clubs knowledge or consent. Of course he's not the first or last to do so, it goes in all the time but I was making the point that an innocent lunch makes for an ideal opportunity to sound a manager out. They are obviously not desperate to secure Jose's signature and Poch would be exactly what Utd need. I don't believe for a second that Fergie wouldn't pass up the opportunity.

Fair enough. It's been reported that Poch arranged the lunch because he had to cancel a prior invitation from Ferguson when they met at a recent League Managers Association do and he didn't want to let him down. Also Poch supposedly cleared it with the club. I'm not daft - I know how it looks - but by being so open about it he probably thought it would raise no eyebrows. Clearly this was naive. If he was seriously tapping Poch up, would it make sense to do it so publicly?

Edit: I'd read the story Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 posted above.

Fair enough. It's been reported that Poch arranged the lunch because he had to cancel a prior invitation from Ferguson when they met at a recent League Managers Association do and he didn't want to let him down. Also Poch supposedly cleared it with the club. I'm not daft - I know how it looks - but by being so open about it he probably thought it would raise no eyebrows. Clearly this was naive. If he was seriously tapping Poch up, would it make sense to do it so publicly?

Makes sense then that Poch rearranges for when Fergie is in London to watch the spammers game.
I'm honestly not worried by this, I fully expect Poch will sign on our dotted line as soon as the season's finished..

Maybe I should learn to be less cynical.

I wonder what they had for lunch
My mate said Poch had Fillet of halibut with asparagus tortellini, watercress and lemon.

Ferguson had Fillet of John Dory with globe artichokes, anchovy and capers.

Perez had Miso blackened salmon with seared pak choi and pickled ginger.

Oh, and 6 bottles of Le Montrachet Grand Cru 2007 Comtes Lafon. ;)

My mate said Poch had Fillet of halibut with asparagus tortellini, watercress and lemon.

Ferguson had Fillet of John Dory with globe artichokes, anchovy and capers.

Perez had Miso blackened salmon with seared pak choi and pickled ginger.

Oh, and 6 bottles of Le Montrachet Grand Cru 2007 Comtes Lafon. ;)
I wonder if Ferguson put his hand in his pocket, or tipped the waiting staff?

I have no issues with this. I think this was innocent. It would not be sensible as if he did end up leaving for Man U then they would be hard pressed to deny illegally tapping up a manager wouldn't they?
Poch informs Spurs and Levy he's lunching with Fergie as promised months earlier, leaves training, goes for dinner with Perez, returns to Hotspur way and then a few weeks later they all leave for Man U.

I mean they could have offered him the job when he was available, yet they chose Van Gaal.

Back
Top Bottom