Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably because he hasn't played a whole match in ages. He would have started otherwise.
Maybe Pochettino was sentimental and thought Son scored 2, has the most CL experience in our team bar the CB's.
This bigger pitch stuff seems to keep coming up. Nobody says it when we play teams in the PL on same size pitches and beat them.

Totti quoted all those games:
Spam away small pitch
Chelsea away Small pitch
Woolwich home small pitch
Southampton home small pitch
WBA home small pitch
Newcastle away small pitch
How come nobody blamed small pitches?

Man city away. won big pitch Biggest pitch in PL
Man U away, should have won big pitch
Everton away big pitch won
Villa away big pitch won
Woolwich away big pitch drew
Southampton away won big pitch
Then when we lose at Wembley is pitch size.

Newcastle's pitch is pretty much the same size City, Man Utd and Southamptons and Aston Villa - Obviously, the level of competition comes in the way too. Aston Villa are fucking dogshit, so regardless of pitch size I'd expect to beat them.

Everton's is barely any bigger than ours. It's funny, I always look forward to the likes of Everton, Stoke, Palace, Leicester away etc who's pitches are all small as opposed to when we go to Old Trafford, Etihad, Emirates where I feel those teams keep the ball a lot better than us or have good records against us.

Newcastle's pitch is pretty much the same size City, Man Utd and Southamptons and Aston Villa - Obviously, the level of competition comes in the way too. Aston Villa are fucking dogshit, so regardless of pitch size I'd expect to beat them.

Everton's is barely any bigger than ours. It's funny, I always look forward to the likes of Everton, Stoke, Palace, Leicester away etc who's pitches are all small as opposed to when we go to Old Trafford, Etihad, Emirates where I feel those teams keep the ball a lot better than us or have good records against us.
Oh yes, they changed it. It used to be the same size as ours.

Edit: I was just trying to make the point that when we play Man City, Woolwich, Southampton, Man U etc, etc, the commentators and every other person is not going on about the pitch size having a detrimental effect on us.

They also didn't said anything about how our, Evertons or even Liverpool's players will struggle on the bigger pitch when playing for England.

Last edited:
You've just hand picked defeats and spun them into 'big games'
Were Palace and Leicester at home in the cup big games?? they were games we would like to have won but were they the big games you are implying? If you are going to use West Brom as a yardstick then you could say every game we won to get 3rd was a big game.

" Not live up to expectations "?? we finished 3rd when no one gave us a prayer of top 4.

I contemplated putting the FA Cup games in there which is why I put them last in both seasons, I think they were both games we SHOULD have won and I think all cup games are big games, especially in the FA Cup, a competition we haven't even made moves in for years.

West Brom was a MASSIVE game at the time though, it was later in the season, a win puts HUGE pressure on Leicester going into their big final three fixtures against United, Everton and Chelsea. We bottled that for sure. West Brom are garbage.

Expectations from the outset change as the season goes on. Pochettinos aim in the final third of the season would have certainly been the title, though he would probably have told you at the start that we were aiming for fourth. We were ALL happy finishing third and in the top four, definitely. But we couldn't handle the pressure. Not many can.

I contemplated putting the FA Cup games in there which is why I put them last in both seasons, I think they were both games we SHOULD have won and I think all cup games are big games, especially in the FA Cup, a competition we haven't even made moves in for years.

West Brom was a MASSIVE game at the time though, it was later in the season, a win puts HUGE pressure on Leicester going into their big final three fixtures against United, Everton and Chelsea. We bottled that for sure. West Brom are garbage.

Expectations from the outset change as the season goes on. Pochettinos aim in the final third of the season would have certainly been the title, though he would probably have told you at the start that we were aiming for fourth. We were ALL happy finishing third and in the top four, definitely. But we couldn't handle the pressure. Not many can.

Yes West Brom was a massive game but then so were the two games before that where we stuffed Man Utd 3-0 and Stoke 4-0, so that proves Poch does win big games.. As were thumping Man City 4-1, West Ham 4-1, Man City away 1-2... ETC ETC ETC..

Yes West Brom was a massive game and so were the two games before that where we stuffed Man Utd 3-0 and Stoke 4-0, so that proves Poch does win big games.. As were thumping Man City 4-1, West Ham 4-1, Man City away 1-2... ETC ETC ETC..

No doubt - like I said there have been some big wins too. I don't think pressure was particularly on the team during the home wins against Man City and West Ham however, but they were great wins and that really made people start to take notice on our team.

No doubt - like I said there have been some big wins too. I don't think pressure was particularly on the team during the home wins against Man City and West Ham however, but they were great wins and that really made people start to take notice on our team.

The only reason I have pointed out that we do win big games is because of your quote -

"Anyone worried that we've nearly fucked up every big game we've ever had under Pochettino"

That simply IS NOT true..

Onwards and Upwards

The only reason I have pointed out that we do win big games is because of your quote -

"Anyone worried that we've nearly fucked up every big game we've ever had under Pochettino"

That simply IS NOT true..

Onwards and Upwards

'Nearly' - we've lost a lot more big and important games when UNDER pressure then we've won.

'Nearly' - we've lost a lot more big and important games when UNDER pressure then we've won.

Now I don't necessarily agree with that either.. Like I said if you are going to use the West Brom and Soton games then they were no bigger than the Man Utd or Stoke games, or even the 6 games we won on the spin before that..

Anyone worried that we've nearly fucked up every big game we've ever had under Pochettino?

His record in big games is decent.

2015-16
Chelsea 2-2
United 3-0
Woolwich 2-2
City 2-1
Chelsea 0-0
Woolwich 1-1
Liverpool 0-0
City 4-1
United 0-1
Liverpool 1-1

3 wins, 6 draws, 1 loss.

Too many draws? Sure, maybe we need another win or 2 in there. But to say he's "fucked up" in those games? I wouldn't say so, especially when considering we're the under dogs in many of those games. Many of those games we were quite unlucky and should have won (Chelsea, Woolwich, United)

The big fucks up are
Monaco 1-2
Newcastle 1-5
Dortmund 0-3 (Had to give it up, no choice)
Newcastle 1-2
West Brom 1-1

5 big fuck ups in a year. Isn't that bad, all things considered. Of course this is subjective, some people could argue the 2-1 loss to Woolwich in the League Cup was a "big fuck up" or losing 1-0 to Leicester in the last minute to a corner.

Now I don't necessarily agree with that either.. Like I said if you are going to use the West Brom and Soton games then they were no bigger than the Man Utd or Stoke games, or even the 6 games we won on the spin just before that..

Wouldn't you say we were under more pressure in the West Brom game at home in front of home fans than the two mentions? Or going into Stamford Bridge knowing that anything BUT a win means we lose all hope of winning our first title in 50+ years?

Wouldn't you say we were under more pressure in the West Brom game at home in front of home fans than the two mentions? Or going into Stamford Bridge knowing that anything BUT a win means we lose all hope of winning our first title in 50+ years?

No, I would say Man Utd at home and Stoke away were EQUALLY as much pressure as West Brom making them big games as well. ( We won those two and didn't lose against West Brom or Chelsea)

All games leading up to our 3rd place finish were big which shows Poch does win big games.

10 games in we were 5 points off the top. 2 behind LCFC
20 games in we were 6 points off the top and 4 behind LCFC
23 games we were 5 points off LCFC who were at the top.
26 games we were 2 points off LCFC who were at the top.
4 games later with 8 to go we were 5 points off them and looking for them to slip up.
We were in until we had 2 big derbies on the bounce Spam ( without Dembele) and Woolwich. The title dream was really gone after taking 1 point from those two games and 7 out of the 12 points from week 26-30 . Woolwich took 1 point from those 12 ( against us) and LCFC took 10.

That was where it was lost.
We were the only ones who realistically could catch them by March but it was a long shot.

Oh yes, they changed it. It used to be the same size as ours.

Edit: I was just trying to make the point that when we play Man City, Woolwich, Southampton, Man U etc, etc, the commentators and every other person is not going on about the pitch size having a detrimental effect on us.

They also didn't said anything about how our, Evertons or even Liverpool's players will struggle on the bigger pitch when playing for England.
Not that important but I think we drew at everton last season.

'Tottenham vs Sunderland: Pochettino can relate to eye-gouger Mousa Dembele
MAURICIO POCHETTINO has warned eye-gouger Mousa Dembele to keep his cool - but admitted he was once a thug on the pitch too'

mauricio-pochettino.jpg

'Tottenham vs Sunderland: Pochettino can relate to eye-gouger Mousa Dembele
MAURICIO POCHETTINO has warned eye-gouger Mousa Dembele to keep his cool - but admitted he was once a thug on the pitch too'

mauricio-pochettino.jpg
That will disappoint a lot on here.

Back
Top Bottom