Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes it would have been, but probably right with hindsight. My problem with Son is that he can't or won't press, not that he's a terrible footballer. He just doesn't suit us. I go overboard about him I know, but why ditch the system just to accommodate him? Again with hindsight it would have been better to start with Dembele, keep the game tight, and have a look at halftime. It was pretty obvious that Son's goals at the weekend got him the start, and I can see Poch's reasons for doing so, but it's a such a difficult job. I was looking down on Poch in his tech area - surrounded by 85,000 people, and he looked so lonely. He's thinking 'I really don't want to spoil everyone's evening'. Fuck knows how he does it.

Edit: I know he's not thinking that, but I would have been. Ridiculous pressure.

The first Wembley game is just a data point - Poch will watch again, analyze and adapt. I believe the relentless focus on improvement he demands from the players is just the same that he demands from himself. He tried to be tactically flexible in this game - changed things around twice - with mixed results - that´s quite a new approach from him. Things will improve - We need to believe !

The first Wembley game is just a data point - Poch will watch again, analyze and adapt. I believe the relentless focus on improvement he demands from the players is just the same that he demands from himself. He tried to be tactically flexible in this game - changed things around twice - with mixed results - that´s quite a new approach from him. Things will improve - We need to believe !

I still think he fucked up in picking Son above Dembele. Said it before the game. But I can see his workings. It was bold. And had we landed the chances created this would be a different few pages of his thread.

He is learning as much as Dele and Kane is. Even if we don't get out of the group I still back him. We have a great, young squad that seem to love him. He will be in charge by the time we move to WHL2 and that is good for us.

My only worry this season so far is how easily Liverpool nullified us by pressing us harder than we pressed them. It was a shock. Next time a team does that I hope Poch has a better plan B. But we still got a draw. Better than an oil pumped team did at home tonight.

I really believe Poch has a proper plan.

'Nearly' - we've lost a lot more big and important games when UNDER pressure then we've won.
trlrky.gif

2014/2015:
Capital One Cup Final. We didn't even get a look in.
Fiorentina in the Europa League was disastrous.
Lose to Leicester at home in FA Cup

2015/2016:
Home to Leicester was a massive game.
West Ham away to go top of the league and take control.
Woolwich at home a few days later once again to go top of league and put it in our hands.
At home to West Brom to keep the pressure on.
2-0 up away at Stamford Bridge and on course to win for first time in 20 years, team loses control, draw 2-2 and end title hopes.
At home to Southampton, even a point would see us finish 2nd and above Woolwich, lose 2-1.
Away to relegated Newcastle, a POINT sees us finish 2nd and above Woolwich, lost 5-1.
Took the cowards way out in the Europa League against Dortmund.
Lose to Palace at home in FA Cup

2016/2017:
Official record breakers for English team in CL, lose to Monaco.

There have been some great moments and I'm not saying any different - it's just at some crucial moments and in some big games, we seem to just not live up to expectations. Obviously, we have also won some pretty big games when at times pressure was on (which seemed to be ALOT at the back end of last season, due to being on after Leicester every single fucking week) the likes of the Man Utd home win, Stoke away etc.

I just think that ONE big win when pressure is on, could be the game changer. Whether that's FINALLY winning a cup competition or not, it needs to be changed and this young team and Poch can do this.

City away last season and a late Eriksen winner.... that was fucking brilliant.

Yeah. I try to watch these videos rather than reading journalist reports from the press conferences as I'd like to judge him for myself.

You just know the headline will be" KANE OUT FOR 10 WEEKS" say Poch but of course they'll forget to mention that he said several time " We don't know any time scale " & even said perhaps 10 , perhaps 1 week, we don't know.

some of the questions from the 'journalists' are terrible

Can they seriously not think of better questions to ask
I think part of the problem is that Pochettino, like most managers, has no intention of giving really good answers, because he doesn't want to give anything away. You could see that with the players becoming coaches question, where he clearly knows of a few guys who could become good managers, and have probably asked for advice, but he's not going to start talking about something personal to them, in public.

It's very hard to ask a good question, and get a good answer, because managers know how badly things get misinterpreted by some, and so cannot take the risk of answering things as well as they might do in private.

I think part of the problem is that Pochettino, like most managers, has no intention of giving really good answers, because he doesn't want to give anything away. You could see that with the players becoming coaches question, where he clearly knows of a few guys who could become good managers, and have probably asked for advice, but he's not going to start talking about something personal to them, in public.

It's very hard to ask a good question, and get a good answer, because managers know how badly things get misinterpreted by some, and so cannot take the risk of answering things as well as they might do in private.
fair enough , there are two sides to everything ofcourse and you do make a good point

Back
Top Bottom