Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we start to go backwards then no one else will want him.......if we keep on improving then we'll be at least 3rd again and he's unlikely to get a better offer.

Personally I think short of him really fucking up he' stuck with us now.
I hope he is stuck with us ha.
I could see maybe city trying to get him in 3 years time after pep leaves.
They both have a lot of similarities in styles of play.
I think we can rule out Woolwich & chelsea.
Maybe man utd after mourinho goes.

Abroad I can only see psg or athletico madrid trying to get him if they need a new manager.
Not worried about him wanting to go in the next couple of years though.

I hope he is stuck with us ha.
I could see maybe city trying to get him in 3 years time after pep leaves.
They both have a lot of similarities in styles of play.
I think we can rule out Woolwich & chelsea.
Maybe man utd after mourinho goes.

Abroad I can only see psg or athletico madrid trying to get him if they need a new manager.
Not worried about him wanting to go in the next couple of years though.

I think he'll stay at least one year in to playing at the new stadium - it would be very odd to leave voluntarily before that.

Anyone worried that we've nearly fucked up every big game we've ever had under Pochettino? Or would we put it down to a youthful side that's still learning?

Anyone worried that we've nearly fucked up every big game we've ever had under Pochettino? Or would we put it down to a youthful side that's still learning?
I do think that is the next big test for poch to pass. He has overcome his other tests so far.

It could be the young players fault or is it poch's tactics/big game management?
Or maybe a bit of both.
I guess poch is a youthful manager so still learning as much as our young players are.

We aren't the sort of team you would back to win in a massive game (just like my other team england).

Some have mentioned getting an older head in the team which does seem to make sense.

City away last season was a massive game.
& we had to ride our luck in that one.
But even if we won easily, overall we have a poor record in the big games.

But we have been good against the lower teams. I back us to not lose to any team outside the top 6. & we usually don't.
Also the latter rounds of knockout competitions haven't gone well.
It could be a pattern emerging.
We will have to wait & see.

I wouldn't be suprised if we do better away from wembley in the CL. Lots less pressure on us.

Last edited:
& we had to ride are luck in that one.
But even if we won easily, overall we have a poor record in the big games.

But we have been good against the lower teams. I back us to not lose to any team outside the top 6. & we usually don't.
Also the latter rounds of knockout competitions haven't gone well.
It could be a pattern emerging.
We will have to wait & see.

I wouldn't be suprised if we do better away from wembley in the CL. Lots less pressure on us.

Yes, but 'big' games are harder to win by definition. We were no better than OK against Monaco and if we'd taken our chances - very good chances - we'd have won. I get what you're saying though.

Yes, but 'big' games are harder to win by definition. We were no better than OK against Monaco and if we'd taken our chances - very good chances - we'd have won. I get what you're saying though.
True. But did we miss those chances because of the big game pressure? Not just bad luck.
So, part of not handling big game pressure is missing chances.

2014/2015:
Capital One Cup Final. We didn't even get a look in.
Fiorentina in the Europa League was disastrous.
Lose to Leicester at home in FA Cup

2015/2016:
Home to Leicester was a massive game.
West Ham away to go top of the league and take control.
Woolwich at home a few days later once again to go top of league and put it in our hands.
At home to West Brom to keep the pressure on.
2-0 up away at Stamford Bridge and on course to win for first time in 20 years, team loses control, draw 2-2 and end title hopes.
At home to Southampton, even a point would see us finish 2nd and above Woolwich, lose 2-1.
Away to relegated Newcastle, a POINT sees us finish 2nd and above Woolwich, lost 5-1.
Took the cowards way out in the Europa League against Dortmund.
Lose to Palace at home in FA Cup

2016/2017:
Official record breakers for English team in CL, lose to Monaco.

There have been some great moments and I'm not saying any different - it's just at some crucial moments and in some big games, we seem to just not live up to expectations. Obviously, we have also won some pretty big games when at times pressure was on (which seemed to be ALOT at the back end of last season, due to being on after Leicester every single fucking week) the likes of the Man Utd home win, Stoke away etc.

I just think that ONE big win when pressure is on, could be the game changer. Whether that's FINALLY winning a cup competition or not, it needs to be changed and this young team and Poch can do this.

Putting that attacking lineup that left us exposed in our most 'must not lose game' ever since his tenure at the Lane shows how inexperienced he still is.
Dier & wanyama or dier & dembele on a bigger wembley pitch in a big game seems to have been a more sensible/safer approach.

I was surprised that Dembele didn't start. My mate thought Poch was a bit sentimental in his team selection and I agree.
It is like the situation with son.
I don't really rate him but after 2 goals against stoke it seems harsh if poch then drops him in the next game.

Probably because he hasn't played a whole match in ages. He would have started otherwise.
Maybe Pochettino was sentimental and thought Son scored 2 last game, has momentum & the most CL experience in our team bar the CB's.
It's still early, his ( moussa's) season has just started, and we are just starting to tick.
I would have started without Son on the bench and played Dembele. Nkoudo -who as it happens is used to running fast up and down a bigger pitch - instead.
We needed pace to exploit them imo.

This bigger pitch stuff seems to keep coming up. Nobody says it when we play teams in the PL on same size pitches and beat them.

Totti quoted all those games:
Spam away small pitch
Chelsea away Small pitch
Woolwich home small pitch
Southampton home small pitch
WBA home small pitch
Newcastle away small pitch
How come nobody blamed small pitches?

Man city away. won big pitch Biggest pitch in PL
Man U away, should have won big pitch
Everton away big pitch won
Villa away big pitch won
Woolwich away big pitch drew
Southampton away won big pitch
Then when we lose at Wembley is pitch size.

Last edited:
It is like the situation with son.
I don't really rate him but after 2 goals against stoke it seems harsh if poch then drops him in the next game.

Yes it would have been, but probably right with hindsight. My problem with Son is that he can't or won't press, not that he's a terrible footballer. He just doesn't suit us. I go overboard about him I know, but why ditch the system just to accommodate him? Again with hindsight it would have been better to start with Dembele, keep the game tight, and have a look at halftime. It was pretty obvious that Son's goals at the weekend got him the start, and I can see Poch's reasons for doing so, but it's a such a difficult job. I was looking down on Poch in his tech area - surrounded by 85,000 people, and he looked so lonely. He's thinking 'I really don't want to spoil everyone's evening'. Fuck knows how he does it.

Edit: I know he's not thinking that, but I would have been. Ridiculous pressure.

2014/2015:
Capital One Cup Final. We didn't even get a look in.
Fiorentina in the Europa League was disastrous.
Lose to Leicester at home in FA Cup

2015/2016:
Home to Leicester was a massive game.
West Ham away to go top of the league and take control.
Woolwich at home a few days later once again to go top of league and put it in our hands.
At home to West Brom to keep the pressure on.
2-0 up away at Stamford Bridge and on course to win for first time in 20 years, team loses control, draw 2-2 and end title hopes.
At home to Southampton, even a point would see us finish 2nd and above Woolwich, lose 2-1.
Away to relegated Newcastle, a POINT sees us finish 2nd and above Woolwich, lost 5-1.
Took the cowards way out in the Europa League against Dortmund.
Lose to Palace at home in FA Cup

2016/2017:
Official record breakers for English team in CL, lose to Monaco.

There have been some great moments and I'm not saying any different - it's just at some crucial moments and in some big games, we seem to just not live up to expectations. Obviously, we have also won some pretty big games when at times pressure was on (which seemed to be ALOT at the back end of last season, due to being on after Leicester every single fucking week) the likes of the Man Utd home win, Stoke away etc.

I just think that ONE big win when pressure is on, could be the game changer. Whether that's FINALLY winning a cup competition or not, it needs to be changed and this young team and Poch can do this.

You've just hand picked defeats and spun them into 'big games'
Were Palace and Leicester at home in the cup big games?? they were games we would like to have won but were they the big games you are implying? If you are going to use West Brom as a yardstick then you could say every game we won to get 3rd was a big game.

" Not live up to expectations "?? we finished 3rd when no one gave us a prayer of top 4.

Back
Top Bottom