Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll cry probably haha. But seriously, it just has to happen don't you think? The more senior players who have stuck around really need a trophy wouldn't you say? We haven't won anything really meaningful for a quarter of a century, and this is the real deal now, it's not like we're blindly optimistic now is it?
So because of lack of silverware in the past 20yrs it's all down to this team to carry that burden. Wow, that's some cross for the youngest team in the league to bare, one that has been put together less than 3 seasons ago.

I can't disagree with you more if I tried. Did you have this expectation at the beginning of the season? Sounds like you have us favourites to win the FA Cup, if it was Palace or Aston Villa (as in previous years) left in the hat, I would understand where you are coming from but have you seen the teams left in the semis right?

It's a nonsense theory unless you claimed the same before the season started.
As said, our target this year was top 4....how can it set us back by achieving our goal.
We have excelled, yet people try to project a negative spin and keep raising the bar.

In November was a trophy a must? No, 4th was even doubted.

Tired of this mantra that whatever Spurs do is not enough. You have teams like Liverpool and Utd with 500m debts punching 5 places below their weight.....City with their billions behind us and Woolwich fighting for 6th, but Spurs are supposedly under pressure to achieve or implode??

We are building, the rest are buying.

The pressure is certainly not on this club this season.
It's hardly a theory, it's all relative to how much we've improved isn't it? It's all very well having certain expectations at the beginning of the season, but improving on last season considering so many clubs around us are going through a transition and we're progressing with youth, I'd say anything other than top three or even top two was a bit of a failure. Sure top four is paramount, but lets not turn in to bloody Woolwich and have a little more belief in our squad. The reality is, people thought Pep was going to be doing better than he has, Liverpool are improving and are perhaps season behind us and did we expect Man U to be so unspectacular? I think it's perfectly reasonable to think bigger in the grand scheme of things. All my non Spurs fans mates last season and the whole media were saying how this is our best chance to win the league, some people were still saying that this season. I said last season I expected us to improve and we'll have nobody to fear. Easy to say now as I'm new on this board, but that was my general view. Much more optimistic than I've been in years. Now you see all the players signing big deals as the season goes on, and my expectations have lifted further. Nothing wrong with that. Perfectly reasonable to expect more, and I won't be having a meltdown if we don't either, but I will be disappointed with just the top four, and why shouldn't I be? Look how well we did in it this season. It's utterly meaningless.

It's a nonsense theory unless you claimed the same before the season started.
As said, our target this year was top 4....how can it set us back by achieving our goal.
We have excelled, yet people try to project a negative spin and keep raising the bar.

In November was a trophy a must? No, 4th was even doubted.

Tired of this mantra that whatever Spurs do is not enough. You have teams like Liverpool and Utd with 500m debts punching 5 places below their weight.....City with their billions behind us and Woolwich fighting for 6th, but Spurs are supposedly under pressure to achieve or implode??

We are building, the rest are buying.

The pressure is certainly not on this club this season.

I said it November with our resources we should finish 6th in this league, 4th is a real overachievement as means finishing above 2 clubs with much more money and larger fanbase, 2nd and playing best football in country is extraordinary considering who we are up against

Plus "must win a trophy to feel success" is a strange one as Ramos and Graham bought us the last two and neither win inspired the team to greatness, quite the opposite

I am just enjoying this utter dominance in the here and now

And if not should we fire the manager for failure?

No, im not saying that at all!

I am enjoying our current journey more than i've ever enjoyed football, truly!

We are on the cusp of something great i really believe that, but its one thing enjoying the journey, eventually there has to be a destination. In order to validate that and for this team to be remembered there needs to be silverware. Im not putting a timescale on it. The media / fans / chairman / players will do that themselves.

As i stated in another thread Poch is the 14th longest serving manager in England! That is a fucking crazy stat.

So although its madness to suggest that we should be seeing tangible results (i.e honours) from Poch's short time in charge, the trend would show that in general, fans, chairman and the honourable footballing media DO expect results in that length of time. Otherwise the average length of time in charge (not including Wenger as a fucking anomaly) would be longer than 900 days.

N.B. (I appreciate that managers get sacked for whole host of reasons, i suppose my point is that patience is hardly a premium in modern football.)

So because of lack of silverware in the past 20yrs it's all down to this team to carry that burden. Wow, that's some cross for the youngest team in the league to bare, one that has been put together less than 3 seasons ago.

I can't disagree with you more if I tried. Did you have this expectation at the beginning of the season? Sounds like you have us favourites to win the FA Cup, if it was Palace or Aston Villa (as in previous years) left in the hat, I would understand where you are coming from but have you seen the teams left in the semis right?
I'm not saying that all. You're just being very cynical. Enjoy it man for gods sake. We're doing well, and I have higher expectations than you do clearly.

IMO People just need to chillout on the "MUST WIN A TROPHIES". Apparently we are the ONLY team this applies to, have you heard this expectation assigned to Manure, Citeh, Woolwich & Dippers? I'd go so far as to say with the money and resources available to all of those teams it is them that are expected to be winning trophies. Media would appear to have done a great job, if people start banging out this narrative as now an expectation, ensuring Spurs are set up to be failures and bottlers, whist the monied teams get off scott free with zero expectation, zero pressure, enjoying a "transitional" season despite dropping half a BILLION pounds on their squads.

Nah, not buying it.

I think it's partly because all of the football media are obsessed with the England team - we have lots of England players therefore if we never win a trophy then neither will England.

It's literally all people like Henry Winter ever talk about, every single story they write links back to an England theme.

I said it November with our resources we should finish 6th in this league, 4th is a real overachievement as means finishing above 2 clubs with much more money and larger fanbase, 2nd and playing best football in country is extraordinary considering who we are up against

Plus "must win a trophy to feel success" is a strange one as Ramos and Graham bought us the last two and neither win inspired the team to greatness, quite the opposite

I am just enjoying this utter dominance in the here and now
Honestly, the 'they need to win a cup now' punditry is just a fucking meme. One of them decided to shat it out during some post-match coverage and now all the fuckers are doing it. All of them have pretty cushy jobs (with little imagination) - best not to rock the narrative.

Thing is, try applying it in reality: say we lose against Chelsea on Saturday. It'd suck, but they are the league leaders and nothing would be shocking about that happening in a one-off game. Does that mean the season is suddenly deemed a terrible failure and gets thrown out the window? Of course not.

Fuck me, Man City got to the FA Cup final in 2013 and lost to Wigan. They then went on to win the league the following year.
We have to beat Chelsea then Woolwich/Man City in succession to win the cup, so to hype it up as a necessity to gauge this season's success is crazy.

I'm not saying that all. You're just being very cynical. Enjoy it man for gods sake. We're doing well, and I have higher expectations than you do clearly.
I am loving every single second mate, did last year too. FWIW I had us down to be challenging for the league before we even kicked a ball (pre-season prediction thread would back me up on this, the fan in me is allowed to say 1st but the reality I saw was "challenging").

Didn't place any expectation on trophies as they are a lottery, depends on who you draw, when the game is played (before a derby or after European game etc). So, absolutely nothing wrong with having confidence and as fans we should feel confident given how we are playing. My comments are in response to a building narrative of expectation to win a trophy, it appears we are the ONLY team that has this expectation labelled on us. For a number of weeks this has been churned out by the media, usually in the same sentence as "if they don't win anything they will lose all their players".

It would appear that you have fully bought into being owed a trophy because we haven't won anything in years. Apologies if I have this wrong.

I am loving every single second mate, did last year too. FWIW I had us down to be challenging for the league before we even kicked a ball (pre-season prediction thread would back me up on this, the fan in me is allowed to say 1st but the reality I saw was "challenging").

Didn't place any expectation on trophies as they are a lottery, depends on who you draw, when the game is played (before a derby or after European game etc). So, absolutely nothing wrong with having confidence and as fans we should feel confident given how we are playing. My comments are in response to a building narrative of expectation to win a trophy, it appears we are the ONLY team that has this expectation labelled on us. For a number of weeks this has been churned out by the media, usually in the same sentence as "if they don't win anything they will lose all their players".

It would appear that you have fully bought into being owed a trophy because we haven't won anything in years. Apologies if I have this wrong.
Mate I'm just saying it's about time that's all. You're over thinking it. I just think it's time to think bigger, and why not? It doesn't feel like a false dawn this time, does it to you? I don't really care what the media says in all honesty, but at least this time they may have a point. I thought Alli was being massively overrated last year in all honesty, but I think we can really start believing for the first time in a long while. We win a trophy this year and who knows where that will take us psychologically. Didn't help Woolwich, but they're a sinking ship. If they get top four this season it will be nothing short of a miracle the rate they're going.

Mate I'm just saying it's about time that's all. You're over thinking it. I just think it's time to think bigger, and why not? It doesn't feel like a false dawn this time, does it to you? I don't really care what the media says in all honesty, but at least this time they may have a point. I thought Alli was being massively overrated last year in all honesty, but I think we can really start believing for the first time in a long while. We win a trophy this year and who knows where that will take us psychologically. Didn't help Woolwich, but they're a sinking ship. If they get top four this season it will be nothing short of a miracle the rate they're going.
My point is don't listen to the media, it's spun by those wanting to hide the failures of the monied clubs. You say you don't listen to the media but then go on to say they may have a point?!?

I've never been more confident in a Spurs side in 45yrs of support, but sorry I refuse to buy into the "must win a trophy". That is utter bollocks.

My point is don't listen to the media, it's spun by those wanting to hide the failures of the monied clubs. You say you don't listen to the media but then go on to say they may have a point?!?

I've never been more confident in a Spurs side in 45yrs of support, but sorry I refuse to buy into the "must win a trophy". That is utter bollocks.
We're on the same page mate generally I think in all honesty.

Agreed. To offer a slightly counter-point on that though...

While expecting Spurs to get a trophy this season is silly, I do think that winning the FA Cup would solidify this team and make us that much more likely to go on and win the league next season.

I used the Man City comparison before, and how they lost to Wigan in the FA Cup final, but it is worth remembering that for all their improvement using oil money it was winning an FA Cup that kick started their modern period of success.

I made this as a new avatar, but I'm quite superstitious (see: betting thing), and it occurred to me that we've been improving ever since I set it (back when he first arrive). I've now changed my mind and don't want to change my avatar incase it completely jinxes us.

So I'm posting it here just so I can say it didn't go to waste and I've used it in some way. Sorry if you're getting fed up of these.

poch_copy.png
Love it, but save it for when we've won The Double ............sigh, a girl can dream, can't she?

Back
Top Bottom