Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm trying not to melt... honest.

For me Poch is the best thing to happen to this club in over 20 years. Other fans look on in appreciation, they understand the lack of funds, developing youth and integrity and all want a bit of it. Unfortunately the financial constraints are having an impact on the progression and his stock has dropped slightly which he'll be aware of.

At the end of last season he could have pretty much walked into any club, if things continue and we have a less than ideal season then that wont be the case. Unfortunately the stars haven't aligned which has a rippling effect.

The stadium is crucial, so are a crop of decent young players but if they don't get in the ground soon, secure naming rights and commit funds then come the end of the season there could be issues. You can have the best stadium in the world but if you have a shite manager and players then it's pointless...

Ok, i've melted a little

Considering This was written by GB, I would say Poch seen the article before it was published and said yeah that’s how I feel considering how close the pair are. If anyone thinks this isn’t a worrying article I suggest they pull their head out of their arse.
My head isn’t in my arse, I just don’t see the point in worrying about it. It won’t help. We can only speculate and will never know what’s going on behind the scenes but one fact we do know is that Poch recently signed a new contract and that we are still very early in the season. A few wins on the bounce and everyone will soon forget all this doom-mongering.

My head isn’t in my arse, I just don’t see the point in worrying about it. It won’t help. We can only speculate and will never know what’s going on behind the scenes but one fact we do know is that Poch recently signed a new contract and that we are still very early in the season. A few wins on the bounce and everyone will soon forget all this doom-mongering.
Yup. And it works just the same way. Two losses on the bounce made us forget that we won our first 3 games of the season awful quickly.

Yup. And it works just the same way. Two losses on the bounce made us forget that we won our first 3 games of the season awful quickly.
We still have one more point than we had at this stage last season. The Inter game was a kick in the smalls, but looking at the league fixtures we have had, I would possibly have expected us to be on 10 points. (3 wins, a loss at OT & a draw at home to the dippers)
So we aren’t a million miles away from where we probably should be given the fixtures we have had- in my eyes at least. The performances haven’t been great, but they weren’t last season at this stage. The players will wake up, smell the coffee & start putting in the big showings, like they did last year. And the year before etc.
If anything, it’s our slow starts that have killed us last 3 years. And yet we started this season with 3 wins before the mini slump.
Keep the faith.

Football is a really emotional and reactionary sport. We just need to remember where we have come from and where we are trying to go. So much of success is about feeling and the fans feeling translates to the players and managers confidence. We need to be behind them to give them that lift that's all we really can do to influence the outcome of our games. It's a shame we are still at Wembley because that atmosphere doesn't help. The 12 pm kick off didn't help against Liverpool either, I'm still half asleep at that time of the day on the weekend. Right now Liverpool have a really strong belief that they are going to achieve something and their fans are behind them, it shows.

Anybody that wants Poch out is an idiot.

He makes mistakes but everybody makes mistakes in life even an entire nation like the Americans voting in Trump and us voting for Brexit ha ha.

We're lucky to have him.
Yeah I get what you mean completely mate, peace in Korea, lowest unemployment rate in 17 years and booming economy just to name a few, Trump was a huge mistake for the Americans, what a bunch of dumbasses voting him in, should have stuck with Obama because he was the best president ever surely? All the celebrities loved him.

Also, only reason Brexit was a mistake is because we have an incompetent prime minister in charge who got the job by default and couldn't wipe her arse without getting shit on her fingers let alone captain a ship through rough waters.

But yeah....ha ha as you say, anyway, I digress.

In terms of Poch, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt here, he has earned that much because of the job he has done for this club, despite Levy and his inability to back managers with their first choices.

I keep hearing that Levy is showing "ambition" by building a stadium, yes, business ambition (which in the future may or may not translate to success on the pitch when someone else buys us) but in terms of ambition for this club and success on the pitch he does about the bare minimum or less because we all know the end goal for ENIC is to sell this club and maximize profit, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded as far as I am concerned, Levy isn't your "friend" and he doesn't "care" about the club or the fans, he cares about money, simple and plain, hence why we are so well run as a business.

This team could have won multiple trophies at this point with the right kind of ambition shown, instead we look like we have hit a brick wall and even Poch has his limitations as he has shown.

So, in summary, should we give Poch more time? Of course, it's ludicrous to think anyone wants him out right now, clearly these people haven't been supporting us for a very long time, he has been the best manager in my lifetime (I am 34 been supporting this club since I was 6) and whilst I don't see us winning any trophies under him because of the present circumstances, I do believe that with the right backing and him learning more about his own mistakes and not being so stubborn he would win trophies.

That being said, if this winless run continues he will likely be gone regardless of what I think, I just personally believe that would be a mistake in the present moment.

We still have one more point than we had at this stage last season. The Inter game was a kick in the smalls, but looking at the league fixtures we have had, I would possibly have expected us to be on 10 points. (3 wins, a loss at OT & a draw at home to the dippers)
So we aren’t a million miles away from where we probably should be given the fixtures we have had- in my eyes at least. The performances haven’t been great, but they weren’t last season at this stage. The players will wake up, smell the coffee & start putting in the big showings, like they did last year. And the year before etc.
If anything, it’s our slow starts that have killed us last 3 years. And yet we started this season with 3 wins before the mini slump.
Keep the faith.
And there are so many various factors playing part in our slow starts. Signings (or lack there of), pre-seasons, world cup and European Championship fatique etc. I personally find it hard to point out a sole culprit even tho this season lack of signings and world cup success are probably the two main ones.

Yeah I get what you mean completely mate, peace in Korea, lowest unemployment rate in 17 years and booming economy just to name a few, Trump was a huge mistake for the Americans, what a bunch of dumbasses voting him in, should have stuck with Obama because he was the best president ever surely? All the celebrities loved him.

Also, only reason Brexit was a mistake is because we have an incompetent prime minister in charge who got the job by default and couldn't wipe her arse without getting shit on her fingers let alone captain a ship through rough waters.

But yeah....ha ha as you say, anyway, I digress.

In terms of Poch, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt here, he has earned that much because of the job he has done for this club, despite Levy and his inability to back managers with their first choices.

I keep hearing that Levy is showing "ambition" by building a stadium, yes, business ambition (which in the future may or may not translate to success on the pitch when someone else buys us) but in terms of ambition for this club and success on the pitch he does about the bare minimum or less because we all know the end goal for ENIC is to sell this club and maximize profit, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded as far as I am concerned, Levy isn't your "friend" and he doesn't "care" about the club or the fans, he cares about money, simple and plain, hence why we are so well run as a business.

This team could have won multiple trophies at this point with the right kind of ambition shown, instead we look like we have hit a brick wall and even Poch has his limitations as he has shown.

So, in summary, should we give Poch more time? Of course, it's ludicrous to think anyone wants him out right now, clearly these people haven't been supporting us for a very long time, he has been the best manager in my lifetime (I am 34 been supporting this club since I was 6) and whilst I don't see us winning any trophies under him because of the present circumstances, I do believe that with the right backing and him learning more about his own mistakes and not being so stubborn he would win trophies.

That being said, if this winless run continues he will likely be gone regardless of what I think, I just personally believe that would be a mistake in the present moment.

I see a lot of people saying that ENIC are building to sell in the near future. What do you think we would be worth now and when the stadium is built? I reckon they would find it hard to find a buyer considering how much we would be worth.

A bombshell for the few remaining ostriches on here who cling to the belief that Poch and Levy are on the same page with regards to transfer strategy.

After a summer in which they were the only club in Europe's top 5 leagues not to sign a player it adds up to a frustrating situation for the Argentine......... Any other manager would have left!

The guy must feel like he's had his pants pulled down and his backside slapped by Levy. You've got to admire his integrity.

Right, so we ARE lucky to have Poch then?

Glad that's been cleared up.

I wasn’t directing anything at you but some people seem adamant that Poch didn’t mind no spend in the Summer and that everything is perfectly fine behind closed doors. Now I am not saying Poch demanded so and so and is raging that he didn’t get them. What I am saying that he has perhaps starting to realise that he can’t take us much further as we simply can’t spend with the big boys. Honestly I find that hard to take personally but that’s football ATM, we won’t be able to contend for major honours working a net spend budget, no matter how hard you try.

I see a lot of people saying that ENIC are building to sell in the near future. What do you think we would be worth now and when the stadium is built? I reckon they would find it hard to find a buyer considering how much we would be worth.

I think we would be worth quite a bit, but nowhere near the quoted £2B. There will be a fair bit of debt for any buyer to take on as well. With brexit and the current inflation in all things football we honestly couldn’t have picked a worse time for the stadium to be built, but hindsight is a great thing.

Considering This was written by GB, I would say Poch seen the article before it was published and said yeah that’s how I feel considering how close the pair are. If anyone thinks this isn’t a worrying article I suggest they pull their head out of their arse.

You don't think Pochettino's quite close to the guy who's just handed him a five year contract worth 40m ?

A bombshell for the few remaining ostriches on here who cling to the belief that Poch and Levy are on the same page with regards to transfer strategy.

After a summer in which they were the only club in Europe's top 5 leagues not to sign a player it adds up to a frustrating situation for the Argentine......... Any other manager would have left!

The guy must feel like he's had his pants pulled down and his backside slapped by Levy. You've got to admire his integrity.

Levy might feel the same, having spent about 70m + 40m+ wages on duds at the request of Poch.

I'm sure the 8m a year Levy's paying Poch will buy plenty of balm for that slapped arse.

You don't think Pochettino's quite close to the guy who's just handed him a five year contract worth 40m ?

Of course he is, where did I say he wasn’t none of us know what the negotiations were but I’m pretty sure Poch didn’t say I will only sign the contract if you promise me not to buy anyone in the transfer window. I am pretty sure the way forward would have been pretty heavily discussed.

Lots of different variables surrounding valuations, the reality is that Levy and Lewis will never get what they want for the club because it's a ludicrous sum of money I imagine.

But there will come a point where a sale is the only realistic option for them as an investment group because once the stadium is built and money still isn't being spent on the squad things will get ugly, they know that they have no intention of investing on the pitch unless it means keeping people quiet, I think Levy was banking on us having a great season and then the lack of transfer spending would have been forgotten, he took a gamble imo.

I would value us at over £1B right now though, it wouldn't surprise me if we were purchased by an American investor as we seem to be trying to crack that market the hardest with the NFL deal and it would make financial sense.

Which will make their tears taste so much sweeter when it all collapses.

liverpool-banner-plaza-mayor.png

liverpool-fc-supporters-enjoy-the-atmosphere-in-campo-de-fiori-square-picture-id953821138

Do you reckon its a brand new banner or did they cut Rodgers name out and stitch Jurgens in?

They had a good few years in between to work on it i suppose.

Back
Top Bottom