Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Considering This was written by GB, I would say Poch seen the article before it was published and said yeah that’s how I feel considering how close the pair are. If anyone thinks this isn’t a worrying article I suggest they pull their head out of their arse.

He sent out a tweet saying it was hard to write but he’s hoping it was fair.

So he either spoke to Poch about this piece and is coverIng both their asses or it’s just an opinion piece for his new employer.

Neither option would surprise me.

He would have had contact with Poch since the summer window shut anyway to gauge his overall feelings on the matter.

Poch seems a very loyal person and probably genuinely loves the club but he's also ambitious. If we don't as fans put our faith and loyalty back to him, he will walk to Madrid in the near future I'd imagine. Even if results go south and his reputation gets a beating, he can always turn to the fact he had zero budget. I am sincerely hoping he doesn't feel like our project is over if we have a bad season and want to start at a new one at Madrid. However, I think we will turn our season around, its a blip, once the players all settle into the season and we move into our shiny new stadium, we will have a very good run of results I think and the whole mood will change.

Poch seems a very loyal person and probably genuinely loves the club but he's also ambitious. If we don't as fans put our faith and loyalty back to him, he will walk to Madrid in the near future I'd imagine. Even if results go south and his reputation gets a beating, he can always turn to the fact he had zero budget. I am sincerely hoping he doesn't feel like our project is over if we have a bad season and want to start at a new one at Madrid. However, I think we will turn our season around, its a blip, once the players all settle into the season and we move into our shiny new stadium, we will have a very good run of results I think and the whole mood will change.
TBH the way Lopetequi's reign at Madrid has started I could honestly see him last there quite a while

Lopetegui is off to a flyer with Real.

There is no place at Real for Poch.

What makes you say that?
Strong start in the league and a more pleasing style of play that a lot of Madrid fans enjoy watching than Zidane's more pragmatic style. I have a fair few friends who follow Real and they all agree that they play a more "fun" style of football now. That he has also got players like Bale and Benzema firing again is also a plus and the squad seems to be genuinely enjoy themselves.

Strong start in the league and a more pleasing style of play that a lot of Madrid fans enjoy watching than Zidane's more pragmatic style. I have a fair few friends who follow Real and they all agree that they play a more "fun" style of football now. That he has also got players like Bale and Benzema firing again is also a plus and the squad seems to be genuinely enjoy themselves.
Zidane won tens of trophies, though - only thing that matters to Perez, imv

I feel a few shaky results and a Barca loss and they'll put pressure on him - most fickle fans in the world

I've watched few games of theirs this season - looked decent but nothing mind-blowing. Perhaps that's just me

Levy might feel the same, having spent about 70m + 40m+ wages on duds at the request of Poch.
I'm sure the 8m a year Levy's paying Poch will buy plenty of balm for that slapped arse.
So this Guiam Ballbag guy is another one who must be talking out of his arse then?

Klimaatverandering-ontkennen-kop-in-het-zand.png

We finished 5th 1 point behind Woolwich in 2005 - that was the first time we challenged for a top 4 finish so no it is not revisionist mindset to say this is where it started. And that is the primary goal of the club
2004/05 (which I when I thought you were referring to) we finished 9th, 9 pojnts off 4th
2005/06, 5th, 2 points off 4th
2006/07 5th, 8 points off 4th with a strong finish to catch up.
2007/08 11th 30 points off 4th
2008/09 8th 21 points off 4th
2009/10 4th ( we made it)

So yes we first challenged in 2005/06 but hardly regular challengers and the mindset at the time was we were realistically aiming for regular Europa League qualification.

So this Guiam Ballbag guy is another one who must be talking out of his arse then?

Klimaatverandering-ontkennen-kop-in-het-zand.png

Yeah, he is pretty much. At the very best all he's doing is a free lance PR job from his mate Pochettino's side, hoping he'll get to ghost write "Brave New World 2 - How I cried and hugged everyone at Real Madrid".

Why is Balague not talking about how the money Poch has spent on wanky players, who we can't offload, has fucked with our transfer activity?

Why is Balague not talking about the mistakes Pochettino's making, or made in the last year or two that have contributed to his current situation. Like why he spent money buying a third RB, when he didn't have a proper midfield, why he spent another 15m buying Llorente, who's shitter than Janssen, or why he's played Moura as a CF, or Dier as an 8 in a side struggling to create, but hasn't given Onomah a single minute in 3 years as one.

If he wants to play that style, he has to change the personnel in the midfield. Liverpool are also a possession based team and do not play with an out and out DM like Dier. Milner, Keita, and Wijnaldum are movers of the ball and comfortable when under pressure. When Oxlade is back, I won't be surprised if we see Keita, Milner, Oxlade in the CM3.

Poch has yet to show these type of guts in the midfield. Wanyama is a DM, but has more of the Wijnaldum qualities as he can wiggle out of tight spaces and carry the ball at his feet, so I am comfortable with him being involved. But the people next to him have to be more adventurous. Winks, Eriksen, Lamela, Skipp, Amos. These are the players we have at our disposal that won't doddle on the ball like Dier and Dembele do. Time to be brave Poch.

What he's saying there is fine but, there's talking and walking.

If he wants to play that style, he has to change the personnel in the midfield. Liverpool are also a possession based team and do not play with an out and out DM like Dier. Milner, Keita, and Wijnaldum are movers of the ball and comfortable when under pressure. When Oxlade is back, I won't be surprised if we see Keita, Milner, Oxlade in the CM3.

Poch has yet to show these type of guts in the midfield. Wanyama is a DM, but has more of the Wijnaldum qualities as he can wiggle out of tight spaces and carry the ball at his feet, so I am comfortable with him being involved. But the people next to him have to be more adventurous. Winks, Eriksen, Lamela, Skipp, Amos. These are the players we have at our disposal that won't doddle on the ball like Dier and Dembele do. Time to be brave Poch.

Spot on.

I said in the ratings post, that you could see Liverpool had switched from a high to a medium press, pretty much just because they'd done their homework and knew that was our week point, cm's that either dawdle (Dembele) or are extremely uncomfortable under pressure (Dier). On Saturday Dier and Dembele were the press triggers, you could see Liverpool funnelling the ball into these two and then swarming.

And then what do we get against Inter. Dier and Dembele in a CM2. Again.

Or start the process of making Alli a proper midfielder now.

Time for him to learn the craft of running games regularly - not the odd one here and there. Make it a responsibility that scoring goals to mask performances won't cut it for much longer.

He's got it in his locker and obviously we didn't mind too much because of his Goals and Assists record that he sometimes goes awol...but now we need his midfield capabilities to shine.

One of the best games I've seen from him was as a 19 year old in his first few months at the club running the show at the emirates. The game finished 1-1 with them scoring late but we should have been out of sight - Dele was given MOTM. Shame there is no match compilation video.

'He looks like he's been playing there for five, six years,' Souness told Sky Sports.

'The amount of times he's intercepting things shows he's reading the game. He's silky on the ball, he's got aggression and great technique."

Dele Alli tormented Woolwich at times with his skill, vision and composure. BBC Radio 5 live pundit, and former Woolwich striker, John Hartson told listeners that Alli "controlled play" in midfield

MAN OF THE MATCH
Dele Alli (Spurs): Spurs have an unexpectedly promising central midfield with Eric Dier and Alli in partnership, able to break up play and initiate attacks. Both provide a goalscoring threat of their own too, but it was Alli who looked more dangerous and destructive.

What he's saying there is fine but, there's talking and walking.

Spot on.

I said in the ratings post, that you could see Liverpool had switched from a high to a medium press, pretty much just because they'd done their homework and knew that was our week point, cm's that either dawdle (Dembele) or are extremely uncomfortable under pressure (Dier). On Saturday Dier and Dembele were the press triggers, you could see Liverpool funnelling the ball into these two and then swarming.

And then what do we get against Inter. Dier and Dembele in a CM2. Again.
Yep, you have to say fair play to Klopp for that. He got it so spot on, but, as I said on the weekend, I would be slightly concerned if I was him; his team should have buried it. Then again there is still some grit in our team to come back and nearly draw a game where we were totally outplayed.

Last edited:
Or start the process of making Alli a proper midfielder now.

Time for him to learn the craft of running games regularly - not the odd one here and there. Make it a responsibility that scoring goals to mask performances won't cut it for much longer.

He's got it in his locker and obviously we didn't mind too much because of his Goals and Assists record that he sometimes goes awol...but now we need his midfield capabilities to shine.

One of the best games I've seen from him was as a 19 year old in his first few months at the club running the show at the emirates. The game finished 1-1 with them scoring late but we should have been out of sight - Dele was given MOTM. Shame there is no match compilation video.

Yeah, a name I left out for sure. It's odd that he came in and started in the midfield for 5 or 6 games. He was really steady there and I too think that he has a solid career in midfield. There is something to be said though about his ability to run off Kane. Can't knock his productivity over the years.

The front 6 in a 433 are sexy AF if you remove the likes of Dier:

CM3: Eriksen, Winks, Dele, Wanyama, Lamela, Dembele, Skipp, Amos
Front 3: Kane, Lucas, Son, Lamela, Dele

Yeah, a name I left out for sure. It's odd that he came in and started in the midfield for 5 or 6 games. He was really steady there and I too think that he has a solid career in midfield. There is something to be said though about his ability to run off Kane. Can't knock his productivity over the years.

The front 6 in a 433 are sexy AF if you remove the likes of Dier:

CM3: Eriksen, Winks, Dele, Wanyama, Lamela, Dembele, Skipp, Amos
Front 3: Kane, Lucas, Son, Lamela, Dele

Personally, I don't think Lamela belongs in that CM group, way too erratic with and without the ball. I love the fact that he works hard without the ball, but every other tackle is a foul. And I'd only ever put Alli in a CM3, he's just not diligent enough without the ball otherwise. Pretty much same Eriksen. I even struggle a bit with the notion of Winks in a CM2 because he's not brilliant without the ball.

Back
Top Bottom