Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The question of comfort is irrelevant - it is the results that matter. We had back to back home victories against Chelsea, back to home victories against Liverpool ( with the 4-0 victory being one of the best performances I have seen by us) beat Woolwich at home and won our first and only away win at the Emirates and beat City away to qualify for the CL. So actually we had a fairly decent record against these sides under Redknapp, we even managed to win back to back away victories at Old Trafford. So the notion that we were not positioned to win a cup game against such sides is completely false and and our league record against these sides has only improved since then but surprise surprise our cup record hasn't. That tells me that there is culture and mentality issue at the club.

Yes we were favorites for the Semi final last year, had a huge advantage of playing in Wembley that season and did the usual complete no show again which is becoming a pattern emerging with Pochettinho

Is that a joke? Patience? We have gone nearly the whole decade without winning anything this despite having two of our most talented sides in a generation in that time. What are we waiting for exactly? If inferior sides are winning FA Cups, UEFA Cups and League cups why shouldn't we? The delusion here is the belief that this team wont break up the reality is that you have to look at comparable clubs such as Dortmund and A Madrid to see that is not the case. We have been good enough to win silverware for 13 years, clubs like Sevilla and A Madrid have a won a combined 8 UEFA Cups in that time, a mediocre Woolwich side as 3 FA Cups to it's name and your solution is more time is required? Do you really believe some of the horseshit you come out with?

No one outside of Woolwich and Chelsea's supporter base gives a shit, I constantly have United supporters tell me how they want Spurs to win the league if they cannot and how they like our team (I have had many Liverpool supporters do the same). The reality is that few actually believe that we will anything - which stems from our continued failure to get over the line - most acknowledge we are a good side but the narrative is that this is still Spurs at the end of the day ( which we have done nothing to dispel).

We are not seen as a title rival, we are seen as part of the top 6 but only City and Liverpool are considered that this season. And we weren't considered that last season given that we finished 23 points behind City. The closest we got was a 7 point differential with Chelsea. Take Spurs away from this and no one would consider this a team that is challenging for the title. Apologies but I don't think I have ever come across a more delusional Spurs supporter as I have with you - it's a level of delusion that is only really seen with Liverpool supporters.
Beating these teams was a novelty, it wasn't common, our record against them over the past ten years (ALL OF THEM) is shockingly poor. The only team we actually have a good record against, despite a common 3 point lane jibe, is at home against the Chavs. Our away record is an absolute embarrassment as it is at Utd, and against Woolwich and Anfield too. Our record against these sides can only be described as terrible. Thankfully the oil tanker is turning. The thing is though and this is the really important thing, that until Poch, they still finished above us, always.

And yes, patience is required because it is only now that we are performing at or above their level, until the last three years we have never been equals let alone better than them (we have finished above every single one of them in the last 3 years). BUT it has only been in the last three years. If you take a closer look at who we lost against in our semi-finals and finals under Poch it goes like this....League Cup vs Chelsea, lost to the League Champions; FA Cup Semi-Final vs Chelsea, lost to League Champions; FA Cup Semi-Final vs Man U lost to League runners-up.

Would be nice to get perhaps a bit of luck with who we draw, it would still be hard if we drew a side like Woolwich when we know we have the better side, but we've lost to the better side in the league everytime. Some of our rivals have enjoyed playing Aston Villa, Hull, Stoke, Crystal Palace & Wigan as they lifted their trophey.

You are a living and breathing oxymoron. You call me deluded about calling us a possible title challenger, I would even allow you that one if you did one thing and don't mention any of the other clubs other than City as challengers, but you don't, you include the others in the conversation, all the other big 6 clubs, despite us finishing 3rd, 2nd and 3rd!!! Incredable!! But here is the oxymoron, you call me delusional but then go on and on trying to actually prove that we aren't good enough team to be considered as a rival to challenge for the league, but in the same breath you are saying we are good enough to win a cup and should have won a cup and how much of a scandal it has been when we haven't won a cup, whilst having been beaten by the league champions twice and runners-up in our recent quest to do so!!!!!! YOU CAN"T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. Go and argue with yourself in the mirror.

I am saying we are good enough to the be called title challengers, I also said this makes us good enough for winning a cup too.

Last edited:
Well - I 1000% disagree. Why is that hard for you to accept?
I haven't questioned your opinion on this topic once, go check our interactions before you mouth off. I have with John.

"Why is it so hard for you to accept"? What kind of stupid question is that? I disagree with the opinion that Vorm was the reason why we lost the Utd FA Cup Semi-Final. It's that simple. What are you expecting me to say?

There is a strange revisionist mindset amongst some - it’s as if the Redknapp years never happened. The actual reality is that we have been a side pushing for a top 4 finish since 2005. 13 years on and that still remains the primary goal of the club - the only difference is the level of consistency has increased in the last 8 years. Pochettiho is a vastly overrated manager - undoubtedly a good coach but he doesn’t possess any of the ability some suggest he has. The simply reality is that he has had one of the best squads in the league for the 3 seasons and yet we haven’t really come close to winning anything and I don’t see that ever changing to be honest. It’s the Redknapp era being played out again and yet for some this is as good as it gets. Odd mindset.
I think the revisionist mindset is with yourself Ossie Wembley . Yes a big improvement since the mid 2000's under Marin Jol but we weren't pushing top 4 we were challenging for Europa League and not considered part of the top end of clubs. We started challenging from 2009/10 but not with the level on consistency we have seen the last few seasons.

Everyone suddenly has no doubt that Hugo would have saved both of those goals. We literally have no way of knowing that. And the rest of the team may still have played poorly, as they did, and we may still have lost. Hugo was playing when we conceded 4 goals in the semi the previous year.
Yes. But the question being asked is if Poch / The Club takes the FA cup seriously, why was one of the best goalkeepers in Europe, the French captain, our ever present No1, dropped for the Semi Fucking Final to give game time to a hugely inferior No2

Yes. But the question being asked is if Poch / The Club takes the FA cup seriously, why was one of the best goalkeepers in Europe, the French captain, our ever present No1, dropped for the Semi Fucking Final to give game time to a hugely inferior No2
Yeah cool. And my opinion is that yes, Poch does take the cup seriously, but will ultimately prioritise the league and CL, as all the top clubs do. If/when we get as far as a semi final, I have no doubt that he takes it very seriously and very much wants to win it, hence his clear disappointment to have been knocked out at the semi final stage the last two years. He played Vorm because he must ultimately trust him and believed he could do the job. If Poch doesn’t believe in a player, they don’t get near the team.

1: It's an internet discussion board. 2: Read the actual posts.

Oh great yet another ' You must be a Woolwich supporter/ cant be a real Spurs supporter because you disagree with me' loathsome narcissist.

Now get out of my sight.

You're just too negative for my tastes. I'm not sure what your actual point is either.

Just like to bitch and moan I guess.

Vorm was our FA Cup goalkeeper. It isn't the case of dropping Lloris, it's the fact that Pochettino is probably just being respectful to a goalkeeper who helped get us to the semi final.

He would have played the year before against Chelsea if he hadn't got injured. Turns out we didn't need him as Lloris conceded 4 instead.

City done the same with Bravo last year. They didn't bring Ederson back in for their cup final, they kept with Bravo because he helped get them there.

You are describing the result and in that context you are right. Within that context, I don't disagree with the words you use. What you aren't doing is describing or reflecting on the performance.

Our performance against Utd was shockingly poor, we were totally outplayed in the first half, should have been 3-0 down at least. Our performance improved in the 2nd half as we competed better, but we were still not 'better' than Utd, we were on par with them with both teams still giving up chances on their goal. We scored ours, they didn't. Man U's performance over the 90mins was better than ours, not by a small margin but by a big margin they were the better team, they should have won. They should have spanked us. Anyone describing that Utd game as "brilliant" isn't describing the performance, they are describing the result. The result was mind-blowingly brilliant. The performance was poor over the 90mins and in the first half was arguably one of the worst performances we have played in the last 10years and that includes getting spanked at Newcastle 5-0.

We bossed that game last night. It's crystal clear to any layman we did this in the 2nd half, but I'm also saying we did OK in the first half, don't confuse that with superlatives like brilliant, wonderful etc. we weren't that but I thought even in the first half we controlled the game, even with Davies struggling which caused a few knock-on effects in that area of the pitch, we covered that well, we were not troubled by their press. The proof of that is they didn't do a fucking thing in the first half, not even a meaningful shot, we didn't have to go gun-ho, we played within ourselves and let them blow themselves out. In the 2nd half when they were knackered we played football. I thought we were smart and only worked in the areas we want to, the first half wasn't about pressing them high and blitzing their goal, it was almost controlled and professional.

I get irked by the press, you hear them say it all the time that after team 'x' scores a late at the death winner, that they have to now do a "re-write". What!!?! Just because a team scores in the dying seconds of the game doesn't change what happened. IMO you shouldn't have to "re-write" what happened, what happened, happened. But there is a "story to sell" a narrative to spin. This is what needs to be "re-written". The re-writes will reflect the feeling, the emotion and it's these parts that "sell", it's why we follow the game (any sport for that matter). It's why there was jubilation beating Utd 3-0 away from home, it's why I didn't post in the match thread after the Utd game how disappointed I was in Spurs, I was buzzing and using words like brilliant and fantastic. But our performance was a long way from brilliant or fantastic.

The result was a cunt.

The performance was good.
I agree with what you say about the Press/media praise the team that won even if against the run of play. Man of the Match nearly always on winning team and look at ratings and winning team's ratings invariably higher than losing team. Yes I do wonder if they change their views of the match if a late winner comes in. I am talking about matches like Watford and Inter and not Liverpool.

Vorm was our FA Cup goalkeeper. It isn't the case of dropping Lloris, it's the fact that Pochettino is probably just being respectful to a goalkeeper who helped get us to the semi final.
So, being respectful to an inferior keeper is more important than playing your strongest line up in an FA cup semi final.
What a shame Man Utd didn't feel that way and instead played De Gea.
Pochettino himself played down the relevence of the FA cup in his pre match interview....
In fact, there was a lot of talk afterwards that his downplaying of the match had a negative impact on the whole team

And you all say he takes the cups seriously?

He disrespected the FA cup, and the fans, by dropping Hugo for Vorm in this years Semi Final.
Unless the decision was taken out of his hands, which would be even worse.
And please don't try telling me picking Vorm was a tactical selection.
After losing so many semi finals in a row, that decision alone was a betrayal of the supporters.
John I think you forget that Lloris had a few massive mistakes just before the semi and as Vorm had played well in previous rounds the decision to play Vorm was reasonable. In principle I agree that if we have a semi then we play our strongest team but Poch was not to know that Vorm would have a poor game and Lloris was playing poorly at that time.

So, being respectful to an inferior keeper is more important than playing your strongest line up in an FA cup semi final.
What a shame Man Utd didn't feel that way and instead played De Gea.
Pochettino himself played down the relevence of the FA cup in his pre match interview....
In fact, there was a lot of talk afterwards that his downplaying of the match had a negative impact on the whole team

And you all say he takes the cups seriously?

He trusts his players and the squad he has.

Romero, much like Vorm the previous year, was injured so de Gea started. Starting second string goalkeepers in 3rd and 4th rate cup competitions isn't uncommon and we're not the only team who do it. Man Utd, Man City, Woolwich, Chelsea all do it.

Caballero played in Chelsea's FA Cup semi final last season. Bravo played in every single League Cup and FA Cup game for Man City last season. Ospina played for Woolwich in all of their cup competitions.

I wonder if anyone thought Guardiola was disrespecting the FA Cup when Wigan knocked his team out.

I wonder if anyone thought Guardiola was disrespecting the FA Cup when Wigan knocked his team out.
I'm sure a lot of City fans thought he probably did.
But even so, they went on to win the league, and have been prolific trophy winners over the last decade.

We haven't won a thing, and were coming off the back of 6 successive semi final defeats.

Surely we should be putting a bit more emphasis on a semi final v Man Utd than Guardiola would in an early round tie at Wigan.

Its a ludicrous comparison really

I'm sure a lot of City fans thought he probably did.
But even so, they went on to win the league, and have been prolific trophy winners over the last decade.

We haven't won a thing, and were coming off the back of 6 successive semi final defeats.

Surely we should be putting a bit more emphasis on a semi final v Man Utd than Guardiola would in an early round tie at Wigan.

Its a ludicrous comparison really

The comparison is the fact that we're not doing anything different or disrespectful by playing our cup goalkeeper in a cup game like almost every single team in the top flight does.

Back
Top Bottom