Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dele came out and said Poch was main reason for signing contract.

Cant quite see the boss moving any time soon. "Sorry Dele, Madrid on the phone, PSYCHE!"

I just don’t see him wanting to leave any time soon. We give our club a hard time, but so many people (former players and managers) say that Spurs have a special place in their hearts. We’re a club that leaves an impression, so we must be doing something right when it comes to maintaining relationships with those that have served Spurs.

I love it when Glenn, Jenas, Gazza, Waddle, Teddy, and even Harry on occasions says ‘we’ when talking about us. Just look at VDV. He was with us for just a couple of years, but clearly loves the club (and we love him).

When I saw Pochettino holding back tears after our final game at Spurs, I knew he ‘got it’. Probably helps that we have a bit of a special place in the hearts of Argentinians due to Villa, Ardiles, and even the legend that is Maradona, and that Pochettino has got to see that connection in person:

diego730x800.jpg

I think we mean a lot to him, and he knows he means a lot to us. He seems like someone who wants to build (rather than buy) a legacy, and is probably the perfect manager to have in charge with Kane plying his trade with us. I wouldn’t swap him for anyone in the world, and I think he’ll become a legendary Spurs manager. He may even go to Madrid for a year or two at some point in the distant future, but even if he did I’d fully expect him to come back.

I just don’t see him wanting to leave any time soon. We give our club a hard time, but so many people (former players and managers) say that Spurs have a special place in their hearts. We’re a club that leaves an impression, so we must be doing something right when it comes to maintaining relationships with those that have served Spurs.

I love it when Glenn, Jenas, Gazza, Waddle, Teddy, and even Harry on occasions says ‘we’ when talking about us. Just look at VDV. He was with us for just a couple of years, but clearly loves the club (and we love him).

When I saw Pochettino holding back tears after our final game at Spurs, I knew he ‘got it’. Probably helps that we have a bit of a special place in the hearts of Argentinians due to Villa, Ardiles, and even the legend that is Maradona, and that Pochettino has got to see that connection in person:

diego730x800.jpg

I think we mean a lot to him, and he knows he means a lot to us. He seems like someone who wants to build (rather than buy) a legacy, and is probably the perfect manager to have in charge with Kane plying his trade with us. I wouldn’t swap him for anyone in the world, and I think he’ll become a legendary Spurs manager. He may even go to Madrid for a year or two at some point in the distant future, but even if he did I’d fully expect him to come back.
I think most clubs can point to this "connection thing" if we are honest mate. I think that's you looking for and finding, elements of your passion that can be mirrored in Poch. It's not hard to do because he usees emotion as part of his management, it's an important trait within his teams and how he communicates with us fans, I'm not saying he doesn't have affection for us, clearly not the case, but look hard enough and you can find this in all is what I'm saying.

What I do feel is that this club is HIS, whether he feels it is emotionally I don't know (I think he might), but in terms of the powers that he has been given, it is his club. I think this can't be underestimated enough and for me is arguably the reason why he will remain our manager.

When he joined us he was our Head Coach, we had a DoF in place and were rebuilding the Club around this model again having knocked that infrastructure down in order to appoint Redknapp. That model was growing at a pace when we built out the recruitment and analytical departments with the hire of Mitchell and his black-box and team. Make no mistake that this model is Levy's prefered set-up. We are now into his 5th year as our manager and we have no DoF, Mitchell, his black-box and his team have all gone and most importantly of all Poch has been handed two new contracts (the latest only 6 months ago making him one of the highest paid managers in the World) and has been promoted as Manager of The Club. He's as powerful as Fergie and Wenger were at their clubs, he lacks their gravitas and kudos they enjoyed as they had trophies to their names.

By the end of this season, he will become our 6th longest serving manager of all-time, behind only the legends of Cameron, McWilliam, Rowe, Nicholson and Burkinshaw. Currently, only McWilliam, Cameron, Rowe and Nicholson have more wins but of all these, he has the highest win percentage of all of them! If ever the words "deserves a Trophy" apply then that surely has to be him.

So, take out all the emotional stuff, all the "fluffy" feelgood stuff, what he has in place, what he has control of at Tottenham he will not have at Real Madrid, Man U, Chelsea, Woolwich, Bayern, Juve, Barca or PSG (I've left out City where I think Guardiola is the big cheese despite being surrounded by DoF's etc). As a Manager, all the tools for him to do his job are also in place with Training Ground and soon to be Stadium which will be the 2nd largest in the League, with our average attendances already higher than Real Madrid and Barca. Only Guardiola and Mourinho are paid more than him.

This isn't to say he will be with us forever, but as managers go he's young, Wenger was 47yrs old when appointed at Woolwich, Fergie was 44 when appointed at Utd. (their "big time" Careers basically started at these Clubs and Fergie didn't win his first trophy with Utd until he was 50!!!). There is plenty of time for him to go to Madrid. But with the exception of City there isn't an Elite Club in the World where he will enjoy the freedom and ownership that he has at Tottenham. Of those Elite clubs, there are serious questions being asked about the money available they actually have to spend on players, Madrid hasn't "spent big" since Bale, only Man U, City, PSG have spent big recently. Both Liverpool and Barca have spent a lot of money but that was only achieved because they sold Coutinho & Neymar respectively. We are also now clearly paying our key players the wedge they will get at these elite clubs and we are locking them into long-term deals.

Final thought of the day, Madrid hope to start work on their new Stadium refurb at the beginning of 2019, it will cost an estimated €600m and will take approx 4yrs. Whilst they aim to remain at the stadium, there will be serious disruption to the match going fans. And given Poch's recent comments about our new stadium and the challenges that this has given him and the club to navigate around, especially how the focus and support of the club not being totally there as these resources are sucked away from winning games and into the stadium instead, Hhhhhmmmmmm sounds like the perfect environment for him. Don't it?

Last edited:
Final thought of the day, Madrid hope to start work on their new Stadium refurb at the beginning of 2019, it will cost an estimated €600m and will take approx 4yrs. Whilst they aim to remain at the stadium, there will be serious disruption to the match going fans. And given Poch's recent comments about our new stadium and the challenges that this has given him and the club to navigate around, especially how the focus and support of the club not being totally there as these resources are sucked away from winning games and into the stadium instead, Hhhhhmmmmmm sounds like the perfect environment for him. Don't it?
That's a good point - after struggling through one stadium project who would want to do it all over again with increased pressure, a control freak president and and unworthy fanbase

How long will it take for the interpreters to do their translation of this, I want to know if he's off to Madrid right now or at the end of the season?

Look at this fucking liar.

I wonder if all those that were taking Poch at his word when he had a gripe last week stay with that energy. Or now that he's said something that puts them to shame (again), he's suddenly a liar again?

But within it he is also firing a veiled warning.

We need to add and not just retain.

Pochettino is also so close to being a manager who can genuinely sit alongside the prince's of the game.

Look at this fucking liar.

I wonder if all those that were taking Poch at his word when he had a gripe last week stay with that energy. Or now that he's said something that puts them to shame (again), he's suddenly a liar again?
You can't look at it from just one angle though. I'm delighted with these quotes as I would hope all Spurs fans are, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put my head in the sand when Poch makes critical (and valid) comments relating to the club, as many on here do.

You can't look at it from just one angle though. I'm delighted with these quotes as I would hope all Spurs fans are, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put my head in the sand when Poch makes critical (and valid) comments relating to the club, as many on here do.
I choose to believe Poch when he's positive, negative and inbetween. I don't choose to believe him only when it suits my viewpoint. Easiest way forward.

I'm still struggling to see how his comments of last week were at all bad though, I agreed with what he said, I just didn't interpret them as so many did as he was furious and wanted to leave the club. He was merely pointing out that we were facing some massive challenges that other clubs were not.

Back
Top Bottom