Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

- No signings in the summer
- Opposition rival teams buying everyone they want
- Injuries/fatigue from WC (not so much now)
- Still at Wembley

And we are third, miracle worker.
A few of those results needed grinding out, for sure, but my word we have a great platform for the rest of the season and look like we've just woken up.

Left to rue that Watford result and failing to equalize against City, but if my auntie had bollocks...

Heading into the busy winter period...

Why should I not be surprised we're starting to turn it on?

It’s good game management. Try and play like that week in, week out, and the team would burn out (we saw it in Pochettino’s early days with us).

I’m not saying that the World Cup hasn’t played a part, and that we haven’t put in some poor performances, but I genuinely think that the blitzkrieg approach is deliberately used sparingly.

I think the fact that there's only two international games left between now and the end of the season massively helps us. We happen to have so many international players that there's typically 15-20 of our squad compared to 11x90 minutes normally playing those games. Plus we can manage it - play Son today, Lamela in midweek or what have you. The more we can reasonably employ this press the better we'll do. Chelsea didn't have a hope today. COYS

It seems he found a formation that worked today. It helps when our front three are all firing and on form as it becomes harder to pick a wrong team. Honestly I think he only needs to worry about how to set up behind those guys assuming they are fit. Personally I feel we could find a way to be even more tighter defensively and counter which would help massively against the likes of Barca, City, or Liverpool. But in general to find a way to make the middle three work deserves some credit today. The back line is harder to judge due to injury and being exposed but it is the only real sign of a weakness. I'd give it overall an 8/10 considering how before the game it was 50/50 if we could actually win at all against this lot and we pumped them for large sections.

exp26.jpg

Nice mention for WindyCOYS WindyCOYS

Winners

Mauricio Pochettino
A majestic performance, probably the best this season by any team not called Manchester City. You don’t need me to tell you that Tottenham are operating on a different financial plane to Pep Guardiola’s side. But when Tottenham click, only City have a higher ceiling of single-game performance. You can read 16 Conclusions here.

With apologies to both the Tottenham supporters who shudder to think of the prospect and Manchester United fans who must feel awfully glum, it is impossible not to point out the contrasts between Pochettino and Jose Mourinho, not least because one is the apparent favourite to replace the other.

Tottenham and Manchester United both had difficult summers, and both managers must feel slightly let down by their superiors. But after a total lack of investment, with the stadium issue rumbling on longer than he was promised and with a squad already running on empty in August, Pochettino has produced the best start to a season in Tottenham’s Premier League history.

Spurs look well-drilled in training, and approach every game with a distinct plan. Pochettino has improved the players he inherited. Tottenham’s key attacking players (Harry Kane, Dele Alli and Christian Eriksen) have suffered from injuries and fatigue but continue to make the best of the situation and produce moments of brilliance even when backs are against the wall. They also enter games against top-four rivals and attempt to impose their own system onto their opponents rather than passively waiting to see what happens. Right now, Pochettino is everything that Mourinho isn’t. It is his and Tottenham’s performance level that paints Mourinho in the worst light.

There were significant doubts as to whether Pochettino could keep Tottenham in the top four at a time when overcoming financial disparity has never been harder. Three months into the season, those doubts are decreasing even though the new stadium is still under construction and may well not be ready until next season.

And therein lies the difference between Mourinho and Pochettino in 2018. One is a manager who upsells problems as a method of self-preservation, but is only succeeding in isolating himself in the process. The other understands and unhappily accepts the roadblocks, but understands the need too to ignore them in pursuit of the greater good. On Saturday, we saw Pochettino at his peak and Mourinho at his miserable worst.

Moussa Sissoko
On Sunday morning, excellent Tottenham blogger Chris Miller tweeted the similarities between Sissoko and Gareth Bale. It was intended to be taken with tongue slightly inserted in cheek, but he’s absolutely right. Both were bought with the intention to play in one position, and struggled badly in that position to the extent that supporters would have accepted their sale with a shrug. Then both players were moved to a new position, and immediately thrived.

I’m not saying that Sissoko is going to move to Real Madrid for a whacking great transfer fee (I’m really not saying that), but he deserves massive credit for his reinvention as a central midfield destroyer. There was a moment in the second half on Saturday when he charged 40 yards back towards his own goal to slide into a meaty, magnificent tackle. In the roars that greeted his challenge, you could sense 10,000 minds changing in unison.

Sissoko may not be the counter-attacking winger that Tottenham paid £30m for, but if he can adapt to the demands of a new role at the age of 29 then he can still offer plenty to this Pochettino project. Joke figure is slowly becoming cult hero.

Poch is really showing his versatility this season. Not nearly as tactically stubborn in previous years.

4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, diamond 4-4-2. He's used 5 at the back in the past, not so much this season.

He had Dele man-mark an opposition player vs the Chavs. I can't think of another time Poch has blatantly done that.

Also vs the Chavs, we definitely moved the ball quicker than we have all season. Hope that was something Poch has been preaching.

Do him good? Do ye know what he does when he gets a red?

He goes to his deaf Grandmother's assisted living place, you know it's a ground floor terrace with a walk in bath. Handles everywhere. Anyway, he goes there, unannounced, but that means fuck all cause the old cunt is deaf, makes himself right at home. But he's no happy. She's watching 15 to 1 repeats wi the wee sign language cunt giving it yeeha in the corner. The volume is through the roof. She assumes he's there for a cup o cocoa like the old days. The old days when he was nice. She fucks off to the kitchen to put a pan o milk on the hob. She's making some din, but The Hood just needed to get away from it all and clear his head. He begins to realise he came to the wrong place. He can't hear himself think. Just been carded off TFC and she's banging around in the cupboards and 15 to 1 for the deaf is fucken blaring away in the corner. Know what he does? Do ye know? He fucken undoes his tweeds and starts trying to fist his own arse right there in her living room. Now he can hear the carriage clock on the mantel as he tries to get another knuckle in. He fucken hates himself. It's all too much but he won't be defeated. He will not. Not again.

Then she comes through with the cocoa. She deaf not blind. Poor cunt.
"Handles everywhere"

Put some respect on his name

If ever he gets even a tiny warchest he will have Pep and Klopp's heads on sticks alongside the rest of the league and we will make a fence out of it and put it somewhere in the new WHL.

Put some respect on his name

If ever he gets even a tiny warchest he will have Pep and Klopp's heads on sticks alongside the rest of the league and we will make a fence out of it and put it somewhere in the new WHL.

Also knew how to beat Guardiola's Barcelona too with Espanyol in 2009.

Barca that year won EVERYTHING - up until that point they had played 39 games and lost just 3 of them. Espanyol haven't beaten Barcelona since..

I think a lot of that gets lost when other people talk about Pochettino because of his record away at the top clubs but what they fail to realise is that every other manager struggles AWAY at the top clubs. I think since 2015, our record AWAY at the big 6 is only bettered by Liverpool and Man City.

Pochettino has got us where we are because he's EXCELLENT tactically and he's a damn good coach. We haven't got the resources of those above us so we have to be.

Back
Top Bottom