Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

10388596_10153258055328505_5201139679290764654_n.jpg

"This is Football?"

I don't think i've seen us play a more exciting brand of football since the 11/12 season (so far). We're creating chances, being defensively solid generally and we're doing this without an extremely talented squad. We're not clinical enough and are still guilty of occasional brain farts leading to goals (although that has diminished dramatically since the opening few games of the season).

Really think about it though...analyse the games. We've restricted teams to not many openings whilst creating a lot ourselves. It's really nice to see and hopefully it continues.

I don't think i've seen us play a more exciting brand of football since the 11/12 season (so far). We're creating chances, being defensively solid generally and we're doing this without an extremely talented squad. We're not clinical enough and are still guilty of occasional brain farts leading to goals (although that has diminished dramatically since the opening few games of the season).

Really think about it though...analyse the games. We've restricted teams to not many openings whilst creating a lot ourselves. It's really nice to see and hopefully it continues.

Two main issues still exist for me.

Wing backs, and defending on the wings in general. It's clear this is where a lot of teams who've done their homework are targeting us.

And the obvious one is being a little toothless and not clinical enough up front (not wanting to start up the "not buying a striker" conversation)

Both still quite major issues, but a darn site better than the whole host of unanswered questions i had at the end of last season.

Have Spurs (in recent memory) ever had a period where we were solid at the back AND clinical and decisive going forward?

Two main issues still exist for me.

Wing backs, and defending on the wings in general. It's clear this is where a lot of teams who've done their homework are targeting us.

And the obvious one is being a little toothless and not clinical enough up front (not wanting to start up the "not buying a striker" conversation)

Both still quite major issues, but a darn site better than the whole host of unanswered questions i had at the end of last season.

Have Spurs (in recent memory) ever had a period where we were solid at the back AND clinical and decisive going forward?

We're not conceding many goals though, so is this really as big an issue as you might think? I agree, weirdly, but there's something in the fact we've not conceded many goals that makes me think we've either been lucky, or we're just solid everywhere else so the wings appear more susceptible.

I think partly the system we play will always lead to our wings being targeted, as the fullbacks are encouraged to get forward to support play, leaving an obvious gap and also giving the opposition manager a clear target in occupying the fullbacks so they're unable to join attacks as much.

We're not conceding many goals though, so is this really as big an issue as you might think? I agree, weirdly, but there's something in the fact we've not conceded many goals that makes me think we've either been lucky, or we're just solid everywhere else so the wings appear more susceptible.

I think partly the system we play will always lead to our wings being targeted, as the fullbacks are encouraged to get forward to support play, leaving an obvious gap and also giving the opposition manager a clear target in occupying the fullbacks so they're unable to join attacks as much.
I think the issue is also partly by design. If you can force all the attacks wide, rather than central, it makes it harder for opposing teams to get the ball into good shooting locations. Our defence this year has been really good at deny teams the ability to shoot from dangerous areas, so we may be treating the wide areas like a moat around a strongly defended central area.

I do think we've been better. Alderweireld has been an improvement in defense, but I still think our defense looks shaky and we've been lucky not to concede more.

Oh i agree, it's hardly a massive problem to have and it is a luxury to have only one area defensively to worry about. But if i think about the players that have really hurt us this season: Montero at Swansea, Arnautovic and then Ireland when he came on for Stoke both just raped us down our right side unheeded.

It's a combination of full backs not getting it right positionally and over committing themselves and a lack of experience / support from the midfield to know when they should be covering.

Saying all that, it's nowhere near as bad as it was last season. I still have nightmares about Bolasie in our game against Palace last year.

Back
Top Bottom