Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was at Wembley tonight and we were superb and supreme. One of the best performances I have ever seen I feel. The commitment was astonishing.

Just watched MOTD and somehow they edited a version of the game together that suggested United were not awful. They even highlighted a nothing foul by Alli by saying how bad it was, yet showed fuck all of the antics from United ( how many times did someone go through Kane and Son from behind ) Almost no pause on the Penalty that we should have got and then a laboured reflection on Son’s incident. We had 20+ shots against there handful and yet it looked like they had as many chances as us ! It’s just false

Really fucks me off how the media can’t allow the truth out against shit like United. This is why MOTD is actually harming football. Get off your arses and go watch a fucking game !

Was at Wembley tonight and we were superb and supreme. One of the best performances I have ever seen I feel. The commitment was astonishing.

Just watched MOTD and somehow they edited a version of the game together that suggested United were not awful. They even highlighted a nothing foul by Alli by saying how bad it was, yet showed fuck all of the antics from United ( how many times did someone go through Kane and Son from behind ) Almost no pause on the Penalty that we should have got and then a laboured reflection on Son’s incident. We had 20+ shots against there handful and yet it looked like they had as many chances as us ! It’s just false

Really fucks me off how the media can’t allow the truth out against shit like United. This is why MOTD is actually harming football. Get off your arses and go watch a fucking game !

Was thinking the same thing as I watched MOTD. We tore them a new one and all they could focus on was a Dele special. Pricks!

Was thinking the same thing as I watched MOTD. We tore them a new one and all they could focus on was a Dele special. Pricks!
Absolutely. If it was 5-0 i’d have said, well could have been more.....but oh can’t make United look too bad so let’s pretend it could of been 2-2 ! No way on earth that’s true

That jumping knee in the back on sonny (end of first half) by Valencia was not picked up on
Had dele done it they'd have been calling for his left nut removed

It's amazing how the media (and BT during the game) picked up on Kane going early from the kick off. I bet that happens every week in the EPL but no one bothers to check, especially if you don't score after 11 seconds, or your not Man Utd. It feels like they'll find any excuse when it's there precious top 4 under threat. Just pathetic really.

It's amazing how the media (and BT during the game) picked up on Kane going early from the kick off. I bet that happens every week in the EPL but no one bothers to check, especially if you don't score after 11 seconds, or your not Man Utd. It feels like they'll find any excuse when it's there precious top 4 under threat. Just pathetic really.
Was Lingard also not in our half at kick off ? Answer. Yep. Let’s not mention that though. Shhh United are awesome and “Lads it’s Tottenham”.

Fuck you United !

Just watched MOTD and somehow they edited a version of the game together that suggested United were not awful... Really fucks me off how the media can’t allow the truth out against shit like United. This is why MOTD is actually harming football. Get off your arses and go watch a fucking game !
The Sky Sports match report is similarly revisionist.

The opening two words are "Alexis Sanchez", and subsequent paragraphs begin with "United had plenty of chances of their own... "; "For all United's attacking threat... "; "Again United responded well..."; and "After the break, United continued to press...".

I've always dismissed the Mandela Effect, but maybe there's something to it after all!

Beyond that, it seemed that everything was first considered from a Utd perspective, such as:

"A record Premier League attendance of 81,978 witnessed a defeat that leaves United with a mountain to climb if they are to catch rivals Manchester City at the top, with the gap now 15 points. The three points sees Spurs close the gap on Liverpool and Chelsea in third and fourth respectively to two points, ahead of Spurs' trip to Anfield on Sunday... "

Ok if we were playing at Old Trafford, but since we were at home, this really should have read something like:

"The three points in front of a record Premier League attendance of 81,978 sees Spurs close the gap on Liverpool and Chelsea in third and fourth respectively to two points, ahead of their trip to Anfield on Sunday The defeat leaves United with a mountain to climb if they are to catch rivals Manchester City at the top, with the gap now 15 points."

Was at Wembley tonight...
Luckily, the 81,978 who saw it with their own eyes know the truth!
... it seemed that everything was first considered from a Utd perspective, such as:
"A record Premier League attendance of 81,978 witnessed a defeat that leaves United with a mountain to climb if they are to catch rivals Manchester City at the top, with the gap now 15 points. The three points sees Spurs close the gap on Liverpool and Chelsea in third and fourth respectively to two points, ahead of Spurs' trip to Anfield on Sunday... "

Ok if we were playing at Old Trafford, but since we were at home, this really should have read something like:

"The three points in front of a record Premier League attendance of 81,978 sees Spurs close the gap...
Spot on!
It's also numerically innacurate... as in fact MOST of the 81,978 crowd witnessed a VICTORY! ...it was only the 3500 or so who travelled up from Surrey (other Utd hotbed Home Counties ARE available!) who 'witnessed' any sort of defeat... the rest were MORE than happy with the WIN!

That jumping knee in the back on sonny (end of first half) by Valencia was not picked up on
Had dele done it they'd have been calling for his left nut removed
Or Young kicking out at Eriksen and then Trippier which the Ref let go with just a freekick. Young should have been booked for that and off in the second half.

It's also numerically innacurate... as in fact MOST of the 81,978 crowd witnessed a VICTORY! ...it was only the 3500 or so who travelled up from Surrey (other Utd hotbed Home Counties ARE available!) who 'witnessed' any sort of defeat... the rest were MORE than happy with the WIN!
Brilliantly observed; I didn't pick up on this detail.

The Sky Sports match report is similarly revisionist.

The opening two words are "Alexis Sanchez", and subsequent paragraphs begin with "United had plenty of chances of their own... "; "For all United's attacking threat... "; "Again United responded well..."; and "After the break, United continued to press...".

I've always dismissed the Mandela Effect, but maybe there's something to it after all!

Beyond that, it seemed that everything was first considered from a Utd perspective, such as:

"The three points in front of a record Premier League attendance of 81,978 sees Spurs close the gap on Liverpool and Chelsea in third and fourth respectively to two points, ahead of their trip to Anfield on Sunday The defeat leaves United with a mountain to climb if they are to catch rivals Manchester City at the top, with the gap now 15 points."
Totally agree. All commentary and write ups are clearly given from Utd perspective. Even complements are angled towards them like “Utd could learn from slick spurs”. Everything is made “relevant” by how it relates to them.

This bias doesn't even make any commercial sense. What proportion of the watching audience wanted a United win? No more than 20 per cent I'd say. The entire non-United world would have been punching the air at this result. Maybe even Woolwich fans, given the Sanchez factor.

Broadcasters consistently fail to grasp this reality.

What does any of this matter, in reality?
Some of you guys are too sensitive to all this, and when they start bigging us up, everyone bitches that they are trying to sell the whole team.
I doubt any verbal or written report would pass the TFC sensitivity test

Mention the 11 sec goal this morning and utd fans instant reaction is 'should have been disallowed', lol. That's how influential the media can be. I don't know who spotted that at BT or why they were even looking, probably just random, but all in my years watching football I've never seen that picked up on before. I'd wager that infringement occurs at the beginning of most matches in epl every week. It's such an embarrassing, non-argument I'm surprised the media have chosen to run with it.

Mention the 11 sec goal this morning and utd fans instant reaction is 'should have been disallowed', lol. That's how influential the media can be. I don't know who spotted that at BT or why they were even looking, probably just random, but all in my years watching football I've never seen that picked up on before. I'd wager that infringement occurs at the beginning of most matches in epl every week. It's such an embarrassing, non-argument I'm surprised the media have chosen to run with it.

It never gets called back, it isn't an advantage.

The ball still had to travel half the length of the pitch past every single one of their players.

Let them grasp at this excuse all they want as it will stop them from addressing the real issues that allowed us to score so easily.

Back
Top Bottom