Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love it when this silly argument comes up.

Good to know you that you would be delighted to sign Rasiak again
I wouldn't because we are at a higher level then he should be playing. Yet again, don't see what Rasiak has to do with Messi being the greatest player ever. Are you just looking to move away from the subject? I feel you should.

I wouldn't because we are at a higher level then he should be playing. Yet again, don't see what Rasiak has to do with Messi being the greatest player ever. Are you just looking to move away from the subject? I feel you should.

Rasiak being a shit footballer is relevent to the fact that being pro doesnt mean that much (if you understand what comparatively speaking means)
Thats been my point about a lot of Messis goals being made to look better by the absolute shitness of the opposition.

You keep saying he´s the best player ever, but you keep avoiding the question about how you you would compare him to the player you think is the best CB ever, or best keeper or DM ever?

Its not a trick question. I genuinely dont understand how you can think Messi is better than Lloris, or Maldini?
Would you play him CB ahead of King for example?

Why dont you just explain your opinion...why so defensive and hostile? Are you offended for Messi?

Rasiak being a shit footballer is relevent to the fact that being pro doesnt mean that much (if you understand what comparatively speaking means)
Thats been my point about a lot of Messis goals being made to look better by the absolute shitness of the opposition.

You keep saying he´s the best player ever, but you keep avoiding the question about how you you would compare him to the player you think is the best CB ever, or best keeper or DM ever?

Its not a trick question. I genuinely dont understand how you can think Messi is better than Lloris, or Maldini?

Why dont you just explain your opinion...why so defensive and hostile? Are you offended for Messi?

Of course it does. Once again, Rasiak isn't a shit footballer. His ability just isn't that of one who is good enough to play top flight football. You don't earn thousands upon thousands and earn million pound deals if you're shit at your profession. Sadly, his ability didn't stretch. Not his fault.

But Messi does what he does against poorer opposition to good opposition too. I've seen the guy score 4 goals against Woolwich, goals in Champions League finals against one of the best clubs in world football in Man Utd, hattricks numerous times against Real Madrid, one when he was just 19 years old, a hattrick against Brazil, not to mention numerous legends of the game calling him the best, even defenders who I'm sure looked up to the likes of Maldini, Baresi etc.

He's a guy who has made me WANT Argentina to win a World Cup just because when that moment finally comes for whatever strange and stupid reason, he will have NOTHING else to win. Why is Messi the best in the world? Simply because he is. End of discussion. Good day.

Why dont you just explain your opinion...why so defensive and hostile?

Why is Messi the best in the world? Simply because he is. End of discussion. Good day.

This issue in a nutshell. You are all so unequivocal in your views, yet not one of you can actually say how you have come to your opinion.
Messi is the best in history because he runs past lots and lots of and lots and lots of men and Id play him instead of a top defender even if I had maradona, zidane, pele, guillet and ronaldo already in the team.

Embarrassing.

This issue in a nutshell. You are all so unequivocal in your views, yet not one of you can actually say how you have come to your opinion.
Messi is the best in history because he runs past lots and lots of and lots and lots of men and Id play him instead of a top defender even if I had maradona, zidane, pele, guillet and ronaldo already in the team.

Embarrassing.
What are you talking about? We've come to our opinion because he's been voted by his fellow peers, fellow professional footballers who have all agreed he is the best footballer in the world four years in a row. Come second the past two years and could quite easily make it a fifth award at the end of this year. So that's him being the best footballer currently playing active football sewn up. His accolades in terms of what he has won and the records he has broken have him up there for one of the best footballers to ever lace up a pair of boots, opinions of professional footballers from the past have also stated on numerous occasions that he is.

I can't believe you've actually riddled this thread with Dalian Atkinson, Grzegors Rasiak and Ruud Gullit.

We've come to our opinion because he's been voted by his fellow peers, fellow professional footballers who have all agreed he is the best footballer in the world four years in a row.

And Ive come to mine by thinking for myself.

:pochbye:

Id actually like to speak to THE LIST and ask them how they could possibly compare Messi to Beckenbauer.
Im pretty sure they would say "you cant, I am talking comparatively and voted for Messi due to the flair and unpredictable extremes to his game which I think is second to none".....or something along those lines.

If THE LIST had said that, Im also fairly sure you would be throwing those quotes at me as your opinion. But because they didnt actually explain their choice, you remain silent on your own views. Because they are not even your views. You think he´s the best, because some other people said it, and they are footballers.

Nice.

Last edited:
Not really. I've seen Messi play football, just like those guys have. You're going on like my mind was made up because fellow professional footballers, who have also probably seen those greats mentioned, have said the same as what the majority of the world know.

My mind was made up when he was there breaking all the records that were made to be broken, doing things not many who play the game can actually do. A guy with such consistency over a period of years, a once in a lifetime great and I have my right to say he is the greatest footballer that ever lived. Just like you can spout on about Ruud Gullit being better.

Not really. I've seen Messi play football, just like those guys have. You're going on like my mind was made up because fellow professional footballers, who have also probably seen those greats mentioned, have said the same as what the majority of the world know.

My mind was made up when he was there breaking all the records that were made to be broken, doing things not many who play the game can actually do. A guy with such consistency over a period of years, a once in a lifetime great and I have my right to say he is the greatest footballer that ever lived. Just like you can spout on about Ruud Gullit being better.

Whats odd is that you simply refuse to accept its even up for debate and that you seem offended on a personal level.

All Ive done is to ask you to explain your opinion. Its taken you 7 pages to even say you watched him live...your stance just seems odd.

If I thought a team would be better with Messi at the back than Franz Beckenbauer, I would simply say why I thought that. Or if I didnt think that, Id explain how in that case, I could possibly say he is better than Franz Beckenbauer then.

If THE LIST changed their mind tomorrow and said Ronaldo was the best player in history, would you also think that suddenly?

Last edited:
Whats odd is that you simply refuse to accept its even up for debate and that you seem offended on a personal level.

All Ive done is to ask you to explain your opinion. Its taken you 7 pages to even say you watched him live...your stance just seems odd.

If I thought a team would be better with Messi at the back than Franz Beckenbauer, I would simply say why I thought that. Or if I didnt think that, Id explain how in that case, I could possibly say he is better than Franz Beckenbauer then.

If THE LIST changed their mind tomorrow and said Ronaldo was the best player in history, would you also think that suddenly?

No I wouldn't change my mind. And this so called list you're on about wouldn't change their mind because it simply isn't and will never be true. Statistically he had been better than Messi the past two seasons, but in the long run, he will always be just a notch below Messi. Nothing to be ashamed of, he's in the same bracket with some very talented footballers.

No I wouldn't change my mind. And this so called list you're on about wouldn't change their mind because it simply isn't and will never be true. Statistically he had been better than Messi the past two seasons, but in the long run, he will always be just a notch below Messi. Nothing to be ashamed of, he's in the same bracket with some very talented footballers.

You speak like its a fact. And you use THE LIST as your undisputable proof.

Its opinion Totti. Some people think Messi is the greatest player of all time.
Some dont.

Some might say Ronaldo is better. Who are you to say they are wrong?

There are too many factors to consider to make one view correct beyond reproach.
It is relevant to position, in my view. Different types of players, in different positions.

All EQUALLY vital to a TEAM, and all better than some players at certain things.
And thats why you point blank refuse to explain how you think Messi is a better football player than Paulo Maldini. Is it because you, like many others, have a skewered opinion as to what is important in a footballer.

You have viewed attacking as more important than defending. The flair and goal scoring over the anticipation and execution of a tackle.

Its a baseless mind set...if it wasnt, it would be very simple to answer the question you and Schmood have avoided for the last 5 or 6 pages.

You have viewed attacking as more important than defending. The flair and goal scoring over the anticipation and execution of a tackle.
Goals win games

simples.jpg

Attacking is harder than defending. It's why the most expensive players are attacking. More valuable.
Even defenders worth lots will be attacking, e.g. Alves, Luiz.

With regards to how Messi would do here. I think it depends. Put him in a prem team I reckon he's 30+ goals. However put the Barca team in the prem and I think it is more.

It is true that he would not be able to do the things he does in Spain quite so well here, but all that does IMO is highlight how bad our refereeing is. It's the same refereeing which allows Chelsea to make 100 tactical fouls a game. Nothing cool or impressive about hacking someone down who is concentrating on playing football.

If you watch highlight reels of Moore and Beckenbauer a lot of the clips are of them banging the ball in from 30 yards. Why? Goals win games

Last edited:
It is impossible to win without scoring goals. Spurs have ably demonstrated through the years that it is very possible to win without defending well

True....but win what? Mundane PL games while we continually fail to reach our long term targets and finishing the season on +3GD after conceding 60 goals.....

While our top bracket players leave, year after year.

Why should Hugo stay with that shower of shit in front of him? Even if we signed Aguero up top, I would still have no faith in our back line to get us forward next year.

Every position is as important, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom